Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Take Life One Mile At A Time! (Read 27 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Some things from yesterday - here is something about ITBS from Coastal Sports and Wellness who have a great plan for ITBS. Regarding pace when you return to running - "Studies have shown that faster paced running has less irritation of the iliotibial band due to the flexed position of the knee at foot strike versus slow paced jogging. We recommend easy and short fast-paced running on alternate days on flat ground for the first week with a gradual return to longer slower paced runs over the next 2 weeks." - this is part of their program which also includes a stretching and strengthening routine. It is a pretty good program. I have also read  similar information in some other forums on the Running Ahead site.

Tracilynn - You might want to take a look at Saucony Mirage. They are 4mm drop with very slight pronation control and are really comfy! I can't where them because they don't come in a wide version. I tried to make them "fit" me by going up to a size bigger but then they were too large.

As for me - the new Saucony Kinvara 4's were waiting for me at home. Laced them up and went out for a 4 mile test run. They feel pretty much the same as the Kinvara 3's.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning Gus and Pengs.  Enjoy the K4s.  I like my K3s, but might be light for winter runs.

Short recovery run this afternoon after 11 yesterday.

Have a great Thriday

Morning!

3 miles done. This morning I came over a hill and saw the moon setting. It was otherwise overcast, so it startled me. It was HUGE and looked like a giant glowing pumpkin. Smile

Zelanie - thanks for sharing your experience the other day with the 10-mile LRs. I'll keep putting one foot in front of the other. Smile

Have a great Thursday, everyone!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yet another URD. My stomach hurts so bad I can hardly stay upright. I cancelled clients last night to go home and lay down. Ugh this is miserable Sad at this point I'm not sick to my stomach or nauseous, just in pain. Pretty sure I have developed gastritis again....it often happens after I've had a stomach virus or something else irritating my stomach lining

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today’s Holidays:

Food:  National Prune Day and National Pasta Day - - btw...what do you call fake spaghetti?  Impasta!

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Oct 17 is National Mammography Day

“Wear Something Gaudy” Day

Spirit Day - Wear purple on Spirit Day in a stand against bullying

Alternative Fuel Day

alternative fuel cartoons, alternative fuel cartoon, alternative fuel picture, alternative fuel pictures, alternative fuel image, alternative fuel images, alternative fuel illustration, alternative fuel illustrations

alternative fuel cartoons, alternative fuel cartoon, alternative fuel picture, alternative fuel pictures, alternative fuel image, alternative fuel images, alternative fuel illustration, alternative fuel illustrations

KEYWORD1  1999-11-19  monster  monsters  science fiction  sci fi  godzilla  zilla  city  cities

KEYWORD1  1997-12-01  2010-08-16  dr. suess  dr. seuss  parody  parodies  green eggs and ham  prunes

prune cartoons, prune cartoon, prune picture, prune pictures, prune image, prune images, prune illustration, prune illustrations

gaudy cartoons, gaudy cartoon, gaudy picture, gaudy pictures, gaudy image, gaudy images, gaudy illustration, gaudy illustrations

gaudy cartoons, gaudy cartoon, gaudy picture, gaudy pictures, gaudy image, gaudy images, gaudy illustration, gaudy illustrations

KEYWORD1  2010-03-09  hide  hides  hidden  hiding  ring  rings  engagement ring  engagement rings

KEYWORD1  2005-10-21  monster  monsters  vampire  vampires  dracula  horror  horror movie  movie

KEYWORD1  1999-09-29  bird  birds  fly  flying  flying south  migrate  migration  migrating

KEYWORD1  1993-09-28  richard  macaroni  elbow macaroni  anthropomorphic  food  foods  eat  eating

KEYWORD1  1996-07-23  cannibal  cannibals  cannibalism  cannibalized  cannibalizing  food  foods  ea

mammograms cartoons, mammograms cartoon, mammograms picture, mammograms pictures, mammograms image, mammograms images, mammograms illustration, mammograms illustrations

KEYWORD1  2008-02-06  cat  cats  feline  felines  pet  pets  animal  animals

KEYWORD1  2006-05-06  rake  rakes  slapstick  humiliate  humiliated  humiliation  humiliations  emba

bullying cartoons, bullying cartoon, bullying picture, bullying pictures, bullying image, bullying images, bullying illustration, bullying illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Morning guys. 6 easy done.  DD had her blood tested. Jaundice level is lower but still on the higher side. Another test on Sat.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8 miles with 6 X 2 min @ HMP done this morning.  I've been at the office since just around sunrise.  Sheesh, so much to catch up.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Really nice run/walk yesterday after work.  Did a 5K route on Fort Sam Houston and handed out treats to my doggie pals in the family housing area.  Weather was GREAT!  I don't usually run on Wednesdays but had to get out there to take advantage of this:  62 degrees, low humidity, dew point of 55, cloudy.  It rained on me a bit at the start but that soon passed.    Today, the rain and clouds are clearing out, it will be sunny and 78 degrees, but still low humidity and dew point, nice!  Sounds like a good day to do a run on the San Antonio Riverwalk, which is what I will do after work today.

Yay for new shoes, Gustav.  So I take it they are working for you?

Congrats on the 11 yesterday, Jerry!  I'm sure the legs today will appreciate the short recovery run.

Way to go on your miles, Mickey.   Yeah, that moon this morning was something else!

Kristin, so sorry to hear you are not feeling well!  If that pain does not ease up, get thee to your doctor and get checked to rule out anything more serious.  Hey, when they found my cancer, I was only 29!  A running acquaintance of mine here in San Antonio, an Air Force guy, was only 28 when they found his colon cancer.  You just never know, and genetics can be a factor.     Don't mess around with pain/discomfort in your abdominal/stomach area.  As you said, it may be just gastritis, but doesn't hurt to rule out anything more serious. And if it does turn out to be something else, early detection is key!   Don't mess about, young lady! Get checked.

Bin, my daughter had jaundice when she was born and everything turned out fine for her.   Takes a little time, but your DD should be just fine.  Wishing you and family all the best.

Good luck with the catch-up, Damaris!  And congrats on MCM...looks like it will be happening after all, right?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

obiebyke

Gustav, glad there's a plan now. I hope you're on the mend.

Kristin, feel better.

Bin, your kid's a trooper. And a cute one.

SRD for me today. Good thing, too, because despite ice, I'm limping today on that right leg. The upper calf/back of my knee is TIGHT and I noticed a bruise on the worst spot while I was showering last night. I hope it's just from my aggressive self-massage. I'm planning to take at least a couple URDs with ice, then heat, etc. to heal it up. I also took a couple of ibu this morning--don't tell Trent. I think it's just a muscle pull or the like? But it's time to listen to my body. If the weather's nice, I'll get some walks in to loosen it up.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

Morning!  The track workout last night turned out to be 6 x 400 at "repetition" pace.  That's the pace we were running 200s at the last time I went- yikes!  But with some good company, we got them done. Smile  Tonight I am going to the social run.

Gustav- Glad you liked the K4's!  One of these days, all the clearance K3s will have sold out in my size and I will have to try them.

Jerry- Nice job getting the 11 in!

Mickey- Sounds like a good plan.   Last night at the track we didn't have the lights on, and it was getting dark.  On one of our last laps, we came around the corner and the moon was so bright, for a second I thought somebody had turned on the lights!

kristin- Maybe you are sensitive to the antibiotic?  I have a sulfa allergy and was *not* a happy camper the one time I took that.

Scotty- Sounds like a lovely day for running!  How are you doing on your goal?

Bin- Glad DD is improving.

D- Glad to see you back on the case!

obie- I bet the bruise is from the self-massage.  Hopefully a couple of days of TLC will do the trick!

tracilynn

3 miles done this morning in the misty drippy rain. Big temp drop comes tonight, like 25 degrees cooler tomorrow morning.

I am within .3miles of the pace bunny, only took me all year to catch up.  Would have done another .3 if I had known.

Gustav, Im a big fan of Saucony.  Im gonna check out the Mirage.  The 4mm drop is what Im use to also.  I think I need a touch of support but not too much, gonna check out the Brooks Ravenna too but the drop is bigger on those.  I love my K3s and K4s but I think I need a little bit more stability.  The guys on the FB running shoe geeks said the K4 has a touch more cushion than the K3, but yeah they feel identical to me too.

jerry, enjoy your recovery run.  LOL about your boss posts yesterday.  She sounds grouchy.

mickey, nice run.  how is the Garmin doing?  Didn't you buy my old 110?

kristin, sorry you are sick.  Get better soon.  I am a fan of the doc in the box places too.  They are everywhere here.

scotty, I didnt know you had cancer at such a young age.  29 is very young.  My mom got breast cancer at age 34.  Nice to see you are still beating cancer's AZZ

damaris, I imagine you are buried in work!

bin, hope the jaundice levels continue to decrease.  They are slow to come down.  Enjoying the baby pics you have on FBSmile what does your little boy think? any jealousy yet?  bad behavior?

obie, sorry to hear about your injury.  Hopefully a couple rest days will fix you up.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

hey Melanie! Track work sounds fun.  Dumb question... do they charge you to use the track or join the track club?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Gustav, glad there's a plan now. I hope you're on the mend.

Kristin, feel better.

Bin, your kid's a trooper. And a cute one.

SRD for me today. Good thing, too, because despite ice, I'm limping today on that right leg. The upper calf/back of my knee is TIGHT and I noticed a bruise on the worst spot while I was showering last night. I hope it's just from my aggressive self-massage. I'm planning to take at least a couple URDs with ice, then heat, etc. to heal it up. I also took a couple of ibu this morning--don't tell Trent. I think it's just a muscle pull or the like? But it's time to listen to my body. If the weather's nice, I'll get some walks in to loosen it up.

Ouch!  My leg is all bruised from the deep tissue massage that I think caused my pain during Chicago.  So, sounds possible?  Hope you heal soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Traci- The Cortanas are also a 4mm drop.  They feel like cushy Kinvaras to me.

The track workouts are just part of the running club that I'm a part of.  No extra charge other than your yearly membership, and honestly that's probably not required.  We just use the high school track.  Every now and then we have to move to the nearby middle school track because they have an event, but otherwise it's free to use.