Beginners and Beyond

Reigniting a Love Affair (Yes, it is running related) (Read 185 times)

Love the Half

I have always loved doing VO2max intervals.  I started doing them way before I should have and they have always been my favorite workout.  Before today, I never really thought about why I liked them so much.  However, I did a set this morning and on the drive home, my thoughts wandered to why I enjoyed the suffering.  I think it's this.

Your mind stays incredibly focused.  When you are doing a VO2max workout, you can't let your concentration slip.  If you do, you'll either run them too fast and not be able to complete the workout or you'll run them too slowly and lose the benefit of the workout.  They are hard in the beginning and  get very hard by the last few intervals.  Once again, your concentration has to be completely on what you are doing as it's insanely easy to let your pace slip by 2-3 seconds per lap (and, in fact, I did that on my next to last interval).  Unlike a tempo run though, you do get a break.  Tempo runs are hard and the hardness lasts and lasts and lasts.  Blech.  Long runs are just boring.  Speed reps are fun but you don't have to maintain that same level of concentration for speed reps as they are fast but nowhere near as hard as VO2max intervals.

That singular focus on the task at hand is the same thing you have to do in a race so it's good practice psychologically as well.  I even have to use some of the same positive talk at that awkward 1/2-3/4 point in VO2max intervals that I do in a race.  In intervals, my mind starts saying, "you don't have to do 8 repetitions - 6 is fine."  In a race, my mind starts saying, "you don't have to run 6:30 splits - 6:40 is fine."  Same thing.

Love em, love em, love em.  Time spent in the pain cave is good time.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

dotatl

Good observation.  You are fantastic.  Thanks for sharing your erudition.

happylily

I love this, Brad. I completely agree with you. And this is why I love running on my TM too. I do my intervals on it, completely focused on trying to keep up with the belt. There is no mistake allowed, it's do or die. It goes fast, it's exhilarating and it's rewarding. I used to fear them, but no longer. Now I love my intervals too. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Dur to a recent change in my VDOT value, my VO2 max pace is now 22 seconds per mile faster.  So those workouts are kicking my ass all around the track and up and down the street!

Still though, a set of 6 X 1000's or 5 X 1200's at "I" pace is for race day what steroids are for body builders; that extra juice!

Nevrgivup

I agree with Lily. I love doing my tempo miles on the TM. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

MrNamtor

Is there any reason NOT to do speedwork on a treadmill if you have access to one?

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Not really except for impact (to me).  As the myths of "resistance" or lack thereof never appear to apply to me.  I simply find it far easier to run outside than on the mill.

Only difference is the joints take a little getting used to the road again (impact) if I have any extended days on the mill.

I don't like the pain cave much so rarely go there, but i like using the mill to precisely measure those types of runs when possible.

Big grin

Randy

Zelanie

Is there any reason NOT to do speedwork on a treadmill if you have access to one?

For me I always wonder if there's a difference between running the pace that the treadmill tells me is the right pace vs. being outside and having to make the conscious effort to propel myself along at a certain pace.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

My personal dislike of running on a treadmill is good enough for me.

Well, that and the treadmills at my old gym didn't go fast enoughBig grin.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

B-Plus

My personal dislike of running on a treadmill is good enough for me.

Well, that and the treadmills at my old gym didn't go fast enoughBig grin.

+1 and then again.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Aside from a personal dislike of TMs, yes, the TM sets the pace rather than you having to decide the effort needed to run that pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I love this, LTH. I just love the track. I love the routine of it, following the lines and ticking off the track markings in my head as I fly by them (at least it feels like I'm flying!). I love breaking down longer intervals like 1000's or 800's into 200m segments, having a goal time to hit, and just execute, execute, execute.

i don't know of the science and whatnot of it, but I tend to agree with Zelanie and Georger re: the treadmill. Plus it's just not as fun as the actual track!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

happylily

Aside from a personal dislike of TMs, yes, the TM sets the pace rather than you having to decide the effort needed to run that pace.

The TM does NOT set the pace. ((I)) set the pace and the TM makes me keep it. When running outside, it is easy to give in to the effort and slow down slightly. On the TM, there is no cheating, intentional or unintentional. I run my 5ks under 21:00 now, and my 10ks under 43:00. How much faster would I be if I trained outside? At my age, and with the little experience I have in running, not a hell of a lot more... TM running has done alright by me.

happylily

What I find strange is that the people who have a strong opinion against TM running are usually people who are either unable to run on one, or just plain dislike it. If you have not trained on one for an extensive period, how do you really know what you are talking about?

BTW, my TM is perfectly calibrated and I make sure of it. Are all garmins perfectly accurate all the time?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

BTW, my TM is perfectly calibrated and I make sure of it. Are all garmins perfectly accurate all the time?

As far as I can tell, my Garmin is accurate to within .1 seconds. That's close enough for me. I have to trust that the track has been properly surveyed and is, in deed, 400m in lane one measured 30 cm from the curb.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.