Beginners and Beyond

THURSDAILIES: Fridailies' Scrawny Little Cousin (Read 40 times)

Aside from the obvious things; not clenching your fists or tensing up, and running with as less effort as possible for the pace at hand for the individual, a person should absolutely run how they run, not how someone else runs.

I was asked about  a form change in another thread and as I stated there, through all my training and improvements my form has remained unchanged for the most part since my first year of running.

The only significant change I made was running centered over my feet as opposed to behind them (over-striding) as I did the first few months I started running.  After that, it has all been about running the same paces with a little effort as possible...becoming light on my feet if you will.

I have never paid any attention to my form, whether or not I should. And I always run solo, so there is no one else to notice. Except the HM in May I was running with my boss; he pointed out (afterwards) I was doing something funny with my right leg - kind of swinging it out with every stride. Of course it feels completely natural to me, I don't know how to do it differently. Also made me think about the fact that the main issues I have (knee and hip) are on the right side. No idea if related, but also no idea how to change even if I wanted to. Seems it would be pretty difficult to change your form substantially. It's one thing for people to change something like a baseball or golf swing, that you do a manageable number of times. But to change every step, for thousands of steps?

Dave

happylily

The swing thing with your foot sounds like a pronation problem (under or over). I have that as well. The right shoe would help you with that, to some extent. Do you wear stability shoes?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

Cyberic99, what do you mean by running from the glutes?

I'm not sure, actually. The idea would be to get the glute muscles involved in my running, as they are strong muscles, instead of running just from the quads and calves. But HOW to do it? I'm trying to figure it out, and might end up like Rick shoveling the idea ahead and maybe take another shot at it in the future.

happylily

I'm not sure, actually. The idea would be to get the glute muscles involved in my running, as they are strong muscles, instead of running just from the quads and calves. But HOW to do it? I'm trying to figure it out, and might end up like Rick shoveling the idea ahead and maybe take another shot at it in the future.

Like running with a tight ass? 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I ended up doing 5 TM miles before court which went well.  More miles later after Pilates.  Busy day so if I can hit all my miles, I'll be happy.

I don't pay attention to my form until/unless it is giving me issues.  When I first suffered from lower back problems, I learned how to run tightening my abs which helped.  Now that I took care of the fibroids, no more back issues but I still tighten my abs while running.  It also helps me breathe better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning!

I shut down my home PC yesterday, with updates to install. Woke up this morning, turned it on, and it couldn't boot up. Ugh. Fortunately it was able to repair itself. Phew - I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to upload my run. Smile

The run this morning was 6 Easy paced miles. Nothing fancy. No math formula here.

I have my 2nd interview in about 15 minutes for a position that's a pay grade higher than where I'm at right now. It's a little scary because it might stint my advancement opportunities. As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

- Andrew

outoftheblue

The swing thing with your foot sounds like a pronation problem (under or over). I have that as well. The right shoe would help you with that, to some extent. Do you wear stability shoes?

I have that too, but I don't over-pronate.   The swinging leg makes it look like I do, so I was initially fitted with stability shoes and it was a disaster.   When I realized my wear patterrn actually showed under pronation, I switched back to neutral shoes and that turned my running around.  No more shin splits, PF and AT issues.    I think my swinging leg is due to a leg length imbalance.  It doesn't look pretty, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

Good luck, Andrew!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I have that too, but I don't over-pronate.   The swinging leg makes it look like I do, so I was initially fitted with stability shoes and it was a disaster.   When I realized my wear patterrn actually showed under pronation, I switched back to neutral shoes and that turned my running around.  No more shin splits, PF and AT issues.    I think my swinging leg is due to a leg length imbalance.  It doesn't look pretty, but there's nothing I can do about it.

I have a leg length discrepancy as well, but you would hardly know it by watching me run.  I could show you on my shoes though then you would be like wow.

And I do believe finding the right shoes for the individual is as important as any other aspect of running.

Dave have you ever considered a gait analysis?   They are usually free or sometimes are included in therapy.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Morning!

Basya

Caffeine!  Thats what I need right now...

Nice speed work!

Baboon

Damn straight about dog days... ack...  'grats about getting back into the 50's.

Cyberic

Run from the glutes?  In my limited experience every tweak takes a crap ton of time to incorporate and you build on it.  Some of the things I started working on a year ago really left me sore.  Not so much now.

B-Plus

Nice 8!

Lily

Poor you!

Check you out speedster.  I think you need some Texas weather to challenge you.  Wink

*** Regarding LTH - natural body running etc - I think that is an extreme example (Radcliffe) that is not necessarily healthy to point out.  Just as pointing out any elite' speed as a comparison to a non-elite.  Children have great natural form, some or gangly and awkward some are just naturally perfect form.  Somewhere in development as we grow we forget natural, and thus sometimes we have to get reminders and train to get back to that point.

Now, there is a point for each individual that specific item(s) are either in-correctable or should not be 'corrected'.  But that is a very personal thing and a really good coach can help you decide what is important.

DR

Yay work from home.  I love it, until I have to leave to do errands...

DaveP

Sounds like MP.  Good run.

LRB

Form comments - agreed!

I think one of the problems with the plethora of information is well the plethora. It allows runners to obsess over things that are perfectly fine. Certain corrections are nearly universal: conserving energy by relaxing your hands and shoulders. Feet landing under your center of gravity not infront. But beyond that running form is highly personal.

Lily

'...run leaning forward, with my butt sticking out...'   Do you or your PT mean to bend at the waist of the ankles?  Waist bend No Bueno!  Lean forward at the ankles is a recommended training technique that hinders overstriding.  It has been one of the items I have incorporated and initially really tore up my calves.

DaveP

Typically leg swing out is due to a few things:

1. Favoring due to injury or soreness. (your knee and hip issues as you mentioned)

2. Weak core on the right side.  (You might be relaxing too much on that leg swing through)

3. Lazyness.

4. leg length imbalance

I have a similar issue with my right arm, as I get taxed in a longer run my left arm moves linearly by my side while my right arm swings out forming little circles in its  swing.   I can't figure it out either.

Brr

Good luck on your interview

OOTB

Yeah I would not think the shoes would affect a leg swing that much.

PM

10 easy miles - (6 of which I will be pacing my DW on her quality.)

It was sure nice to sleep in this morning...

LRB

I just bought an avocado.  Imma 'bout to cut it open and eat it with a spoon.   Big grin

DaveP

Typically leg swing out is due to a few things:

1. Favoring due to injury or soreness. (your knee and hip issues as you mentioned)

2. Weak core on the right side.  (You might be relaxing too much on that leg swing through)

3. Lazyness.

4. leg length imbalance

I have a similar issue with my right arm, as I get taxed in a longer run my left arm moves linearly by my side while my right arm swings out forming little circles in its  swing.   I can't figure it out either.

#1 - I assumed the favoring caused the injuries, maybe you are saying it is the other way around?

#2 - not sure why one side would be weaker, but in fact I have also had a recurring lower abdominal/groin muscle strain on the right side

#3 - this seems the most likely cause.

#4 - possible, I have never measured them.

There is a guy I see always out running my route, although never talked to him. But he has a very exaggerated arm swing on one side - not exactly circles, but swinging laterally.

Never had a gait analysis - just the LRS watching me walk to assess that I have essentially normal pronation. Might be interesting.

MTA re:shoes - I rotate Brooks Adrenalines & Ravennas. I do notice I get excessive wear in the outside heel area on both sides, but more pronounced in the right shoe.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

We have a bit of a 'cool front' today, high will only be 93 degrees, so I plan on doing some trail running after work.

Nice workout for you Basya.  You're a "Type A" personality, aren't you?  

Yeah, LRB, build your arm strength by doing  a lot of those!  Avocados...ewwww.. yet another food I don't like, lol.

Congrats on getting your weekly mileage back up, Baboon.

Sorry about the sore calves, Cy.   Get some biofreeze...great stuff.

Wow, watching the flowers grow...that's a nice job, Lily, how much does that pay?    Good luck with your miles later.  You will be speeding right along, with the cooler weather, right?    it's better to run as is natural to one's body?  Yes, that is what my docs told me to do.  My body is so messed up, lol, - born with a birth defect, was a March of Dimes baby, have a crooked back and hips I can't put into certain positions, can't point my feet straight when I run or walk cuz that hurts my hips too much - Gail says I look like a big ole pelican when I run, lol - arms 'flapping' and feet splayed out -   and now have arthritis on top if it all - that they told me, "just get out there and run in a way that feels good for you and doesn't give you pain and don't worry about form, etc."  So that's what I've been doing for 31 years.  No, it ain't pretty, but that's okay, I get where I want to go and don't have any pain doing it.  So I guess it's working for me.

Wow, Damaris, you can do court working from home?  Very nice judge you got there!

Congrats on the 8 miles, DaveP, with 5 fast ones thrown in.

Hope your interview went well, Andrew.

Blue...sorry to read about your chicks yesterday.

Good luck with your miles, Slymoon, and nice of you to pace your DW for her miles.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hiya Dailies,

Brr: Good luck with the interview.

I just finished a 6.3 mile tempo run. 1 mile warm-up, 25 minutes at 7:12 pace, cool down. In the 25 minute push I covered 3.48 miles. Not bad, but it gets hot quickly and I got started a bit late. Now I am fried.  We are getting a new fence installed today, one of those vinyl kind. It is not the white kind, it is a brown color and looks like wood. We'll see...

Have a good day.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Yep, interview went well. They gave me an assignment. Knowing what I know the situation, write about a page to detail out a plan of action to getting things running better. I have to say, it's the first time I've been given homework.

- Andrew