Beginners and Beyond

Getting a coach (Read 85 times)

No more marathons

I know I've seen some discussion recently on using a professional coach, but can't find anything without wading through over 5,000 hits to the word "coach" in the search field.

I want to get (semi) serious about racing the 1500 and the 5000 on the track over the next year - and not having run in high school, never had the opportunity to get some actual coaching.

So, who has a coach?  Are they in real life or over the internet?  How did you choose?  Are you satisfied with the results?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

I do have a coach.  Mine is one of the RWOL forumites that became a coach and I met him years ago through the RWOL Marathoner Dailies.  I have met him in person too.  He coaches people mostly for marathons but he also coaches for the Winter Warriors and other running clubs in Chicago.  He is the only coach that has worked around my asthma and has given me many PRs.

What I like about a coach is the fact that I have to report my workouts every week and if I miss one or part of one, I better have a good reason for it.  So, it keeps me accountable.  Plus his plans are tailored for me.

So, I found him through very unusual methods.

I know some people use the coaches McMillan has online and they have worked great for them.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've had several coaches over the course of my career. The first I stumbled onto serendipitously as she was the supervisor for a noon jogging program I joined when I first started. I've also trained informally with several college teams where I benefited indirectly from their coaching. I engaged a coach last year when I was training for my first ultra. That was through internet and phone. The coach came with strong personal recommendations for a friend who had used him. I also have access to the coach for my running club. That is probably the simplest and easier way to get coaching. Finding someone to coach 1500m and 5000m may be difficult because most coaches I've seen, other than club coaches, focus more on road racing and the marathon. Check out USATF certified coaches in your region of USATF. USATF Coaches Registry. BTW that registry is by no means a complete list of coaches who are certified.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Road Runners Club of America is a really good resource...There is a guy in MN who is cool. Wink

http://www.rrca.org/find-a-coach/

I work with a coach now and recommend trying it. It has brought some new ideas and input to my training. He is based in Michigan but with email, texting, cell phones, etc., we communicate more than enough.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I have one, and just kinda stumbled into it.  He started free group sessions that I was involved with for a year, unfortunately for newer runners the free sessions are no longer around. ( liability and insurance issues )  So he only provides services to clients that go through testing etc...

Yes, highly recommended to have a coach.  As far as how to find a reputable one, ask around.  I find there is at least one hanging out at the more popular 5-10k races to see their athletes perform.

Otherwise, do you have any All-Comers track meets around? a crap ton of talent and coaches at those.  Of course many are either school affiliated or only deal with certain age groups.

No more marathons

Thanks for the info.

D - Since I'm going to a completely new area for me (track), and since I know my form SUCKS, it will be important to at least start with someone that I can meet with once a week or so.

WC runner - that was a helpful link.  Looks like there is a local juniors club that has a lot of USATF certified coaches.  I will check to see if any of them coach adults on the side.

My other option is my DSs former HS coach.

Fuzzy - thanks for the link - no one on that list close enough to start with.

Sly - nothing close by (all comers track meets), in fact I've contacted our local rec dept who put on the recent senior games to see if they would look into doing that this summer.  Some interest, but probably too late now - maybe one or two in August.  There is also a weekly game down at Furman University but I think it is mostly for teens and younger.  But might not hurt to at least swing by one to see who's there.  Good idea, thanks.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Now have a coach, and a training plan for a track 1500 and 5000 at the senior games the end of September.  Plan starts the beginning of July but met with coach last night to do a time trial mile for a baseline.  Good news and bad news.

The good news is I did the mile faster than either of of though likely - 6:11.  That's an age adjusted 4:50 for my 30 something self, and my younger self only broke 5 minutes once, and that was on a suspect course.  Best on the track was 5:01.  The bad news is he said he would need to adjust some of my workouts to take the faster me into account.  

He's a leaker!

Mmmmm...beer

Nice work blue!  You just made all of your workouts harder! lol  That's great.  Hope the coaching and racing goes well!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Sounds great!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

#artbydmcbride

You could always check out IKEA!

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

oops,.....thought you were looking for a couch....

Runners run

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Now have a coach, and a training plan for a track 1500 and 5000 at the senior games the end of September.  Plan starts the beginning of July but met with coach last night to do a time trial mile for a baseline.  Good news and bad news.

The good news is I did the mile faster than either of of though likely - 6:11.  That's an age adjusted 4:50 for my 30 something self, and my younger self only broke 5 minutes once, and that was on a suspect course.  Best on the track was 5:01.  The bad news is he said he would need to adjust some of my workouts to take the faster me into account.  

Bam!

See what you have done to yourself? Geeze been sandbagging all this time and your coach called you on it.

It will be a fun ride.  Wink