Beginners and Beyond

Marathon training mind games... (Read 109 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi. As some of you know, I am training for my first marathon. It is four weeks from today so it is getting close and I am getting anxious. I am training to race this SOB and as Baboon is wont to say I want to "kick it in the nuts." I am using the Pfitz 18/55 plan and today I ran 17 miles. I have not missed a run yet but today was the first day I did not want to get out of bed to run. I did it, but I didn't want to. It was a bad run. It was not fun and I didn't like it. I was almost bitten by a fat black lab who was not on a leash. The owner yelled at me because I yelled at the dog. I have a confession to make... I am sick of training. As soon as last week I was LOVING it. Last Sunday I did 18 miles with 14@GMP. I nailed it and was proud of myself. Now, a week later, I want it to end. My fitness is great but my legs are tired. Remember the old shampoo bottles? Lather, rinse, repeat. Lather, rinse, repeat. That is how I feel. Run 50-55 miles, recover, repeat. Run 50-55 miles, recover, repeat.  I have two weeks of hard training left and then the taper.  Sorry if I sound like I am being a baby, I just feel like my mind is going in a million different directions.  Sometimes I think I need to be put in a padded room. I suppose I am tired of being tired. I hope the taper will allow me to feel fresh again. Now I just feel beat up. Is this normal at this point of training as race day approaches?

LRB

You are doing it right.  Carry on.

As a wise man once said: suck it up, buttercup. If you wanted this to be easy, you would've signed up for one of those 5k marathons.

And the night before the race, just don't forget to check for separate volume knobs on your alarm clock.

Dave

LRB

I just looked at the splits for your MP run.  One word for that; nice!

Hold on tight, you are almost home.

PADRunner

Oh, I know how you feel!

workinprogress11

Sounds like you feel exactly how you should feel at this point in your training. Just hang on and then really enjoy the taper. You will be fresh on race day. Keep up the great work.

onemile

Training hard isn't fun.  I pretty much hated running most days this last marathon cycle. I was worn down, exhausted and wanting to quit from early on in the program.  I stuck with it but was feeling pretty burnt out toward the end.  Anyway, it's been a week since my marathon and I'm itching to get back to running. And training.  It's funny how easy it is to forget.  But yes, it's normal to feel that way when you're in the middle of a hard training cycle.

happylily

You and I are both running our marathons on the same day. You and I are both training with Pfitz. You and I both had 17 miles to run today. Guess what... I just stopped for a little break, I still have a mile to do before I finish this bi*ch (where did I learn to talk like this?). I'm fed up too! Big grin We are both NORMAL! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I still have a mile to do before I finish this bi*ch (where did I learn to talk like this?).

Not guilty.  Roll eyes

Zelanie

I am only training for a half, not a full, but I posted almost exactly the same thing on a couple of groups two weeks ago, when I finished my "4 weeks out" long run.  It was miserable the entire way.  My legs felt tired, and I just plain wasn't having fun.  For me, it was 14 miles of no fun at all.

Luckily, everyone posted that that was exactly how I was supposed to feel at 4 weeks out.  Tired, beat up, unmotivated, and sluggish.  I had a good recovery run the next day, and the day after that a good interval run.  Then my LR the next week rocked.

Sounds like you are exactly where you should be. Smile

happylily

Not guilty.  Roll eyes

YOU! You are such a bad influence on innocent me. Big grin

happylily

Oh... and I finished the bitch. Big grin

LRB

Oh... and I finished the bitch. Big grin

Winning!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A plan is a tool to help you reach a goal, not a taskmaster. If you need to modify the plan, even drastically, to get to the starting line fresh and feeling confident that you're ready, then do it. If I were in your position, one thing I would consider is backing off now to recovery, possibly adding another week of training, then cutting the taper by a week.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

Welcome to marathon training, son.

It feels like a chore sometimes.  Sometimes you just don't feel like running, but you get out there any do it anyway.  Sometimes your run sucks and you hate it and wonder why the hell you're doing all of this.

When you cross the finish line, remember days like this when you didn't want to train, then thank yourself for sticking with it.

<3