Beginners and Beyond

ABC Into the Summer Fun Run "5K" RR... I'm somewhat annoyed. (Read 86 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Since 5K races are short, I will keep this RR short.

Who: Jack Klompus

What: ABC Into the Summer Fun Run

Why: I'm sick of marathon training and want to run the other distaces

Where: Cerritos, CA

When: 21 June, 2014

Yes, I'm sick of marathon training. I saw this race online last week and signed up on a whim. Neither DD or DW wanted to run but they came along to support me and laugh at me. I am training for a HM in nine weeks and have only done a few speed workouts in the last two weeks, 800 intervals and hard tempo runs, so I really had no idea how this would turn out.  A PR (20:21) would be nice but I was hoping for around a 20:45 or so. The race was set up around a mall parking lot and it was ok; lots of straightaways but one highly annoying bit with a series of maze-like switchbacks. Really? As a warmup I did a two miles easy with DD, stretched a lot, ran another half-mile and did three strides.

Mile 1: I started at the front and went out too fast; 5:30. I still don't know how to judge my 5k pace but I settled in at 6:35. We went through the switchbacks and the pace slowed so everyone picked it up after the maze. I ran past DW and DD and they cheered, laughed, and took pictures. First mile in 6:30.

Mile 2: I forgot how much 5Ks hurt. We went through that damn maze again because it was two loops around. This time is was harder to pick up the pace. The school band was playing and that was nice. Second mile in 6:39.

Mile 3: Now I'm breathing hard but still running easy. That was good, I think. It was starting to hurt some more. WIthout all the details I saw the finish and knew something was off. I finished in 19:03 and thought "There is no way in hell that is right. I can't run an 80 second PR in a 5K with no training." Alas, I was right. Garmin said the total distance was 2.93 and I was a wee bit upset at that. I asked some other runners and they all had anywhere from 2.89 to 2.97. Dammit.  In any case, my last split (for .93 mile) was 6:25 and I was running well so I think I could have held on for a true PR. I might have finished at a 20:15 or so if the distance was right.

I finished 11/445 and I actually WON my AG! First time ever! 1/16. I will say it was a slow field with a lot of walkers but it's still kind of cool. Oh, the guy who finished third overall was in my age group so I guess I was really second but they don't do double dipping for awards so the results said I was first. Go figure.

I hope to get a sub 20 with some training. That is my next goal.

Before:

I wore my headband so DD asked for a Ninja pose.

During:

After:

With the plastic AG award that broke in the car on the way home. Smile

Oh, DD wanted the "photo creds."

Thanks for reading.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Incorrect distance is always a possibility, even on a certified course if it's set up wrong. I find the best judge of a race is not the time, but whether I feel I ran a smart, hard race and couldn't have run much harder under the conditions. AG 1st place is a good indicator, too.   Why the switchbacks on the course? I would think it would be easy to avoid that running around a parking lot.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

SheCan

Awesome job, Jack!   You always impress.  LMAO@ the ninja pose... well you were sneaky fast.  It is annoying that the course was slightly short.  Now you really have to work to break this PR-- but you can do it!  Congratulations on 1st AG and 11th overall!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

PADRunner

WTG Jack! Congrats on the AG award.

Pinktastic

Nicely done, Jack!  Completely understand the annoyance of a short course, especially when you could have PRd, nut you still ran a great race.  Congrats!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the bling.  Sorry about the short course.  I hate short courses with a passion.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

With the plastic AG award that broke in the car on the way home. Smile

This made me LOL.  Big grin

Nice racin', Klompus!  Bummer about the short course.  I got jobbed out of a 5K PR last October for the same reason.  In any case, your OA placement gives you a pretty good idea of how you ran, and you kicked all kinds of ass.  Congrats on the AG win!!

<3

LRB

That ninja pose is the shiz yo!  

happylily

What counts is the placement award, even if it's made of plastic. Congratulations, you did great!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

wc: I guess they put the switchbacks in to add distance in a smaller area, though looking at the map from my Garmin it would have been easier to just go out closer to the perimeter of the lot.

Thanks, everyone. Your kind (and funny) words help keep the motivation going.

hog4life

Jack, congrats on the AG award. This was a strong race either way. I was laughing all the way, GREAT report!!! The pics are priceless Smile

Nice job, Jack.

Did you do "airplane wings" while banking through the switchbacks?

No more marathons

Jack, I wouldn't be too quick to discount the distance.  If the course had lots of turns (and it sounded that way from your description) then the Garmin would have taken unavailable tangents.  I ran a 5k at the end of May that my garmin recorded at 3.02.  The course had a total of 22 turns.  Using mapmyrun on the course and sticking to the streets that we ran (not cutting thru buildings and peoples yards)  I get a distance of 3.18.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Nice job, Jack.

Did you do "airplane wings" while banking through the switchbacks?

Oh man that would have been awesome! Especially if you could have added in some sound!

Good job!

(switchbacks can wreak havoc on a garmin - see if you can map it manually to second check distance)

Mmmmm...beer

I'm with bluesky and sly, check your Garmin route to see if it jumped around during the switchbacks, this could be a legit PR.

Congrats on the AG win, that's great!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!