Beginners and Beyond

Hopeful Thursdailies (Read 44 times)

@runjerseygirl

CoolWELCOME TO THE DAILIES THREAD!Cool

Anyone and everyone can post your runs, cross-training, abdominal work, rest days, race plans, training questions, etc.. The only stupid question is the one you did not post. There’s a great mix of beginners and veterans, runners and walkers, and maniacs and returners, from injury to running. We're all a little crazy here, too! While this thread is a terrific source of motivation for runners and serves as outstanding accountability, you’ll quickly find this remarkable group to be highly supportive of all life experiences. So, come on in, put your feet up, and stay a while (not literally)! And whoever is up first is welcome to start the thread and we definitely keep some weird hours here.

Do you even run?

@runjerseygirl

Good morning, dailies.

Here's hoping that today is a good day.

Here's hoping that I can kick this cold.

Here's hoping that I'm not sick for Saturday.

Here's hoping that I don't kill anyone while I rest up for my race.

And here's hoping that we all have plenty of coffee...

Do you even run?

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

Good morning runners! I have a question. I have been thinking about this since talking to one of the employees/runners at the LRS. If you want to run faster in races, do you have to run faster while training? For example, if you want to run a 6:30 pace in a 5K should you run that pace sometime during your training leading up to the race? I have read many race reports where runners end up running a pace they never even imagined they could run. Is it because they didn't train hard enough. In other words, did they unknowingly sandbag during their training then give a real hard effort for the race?

I have 11 easy miles scheduled for tonight. Have a great day everyone! God bless.

delicate flower

Whatcha say there, Internet runners!  Happy Thursday to you all.  Today's running agenda will involve something in the "8 easy" range.

Go team.

<3

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Morning!

10.1 for me. Another day of driving around and doing meetings.

Marjorie

Jess runs for bacon

Morning everyone! Rest day for me today and tomorrow (half on Saturday). Woke up with my hip hurting again, sigh. I think I really need a massage but don't have the time.

StepbyStep-SH

I'm meeting friends later to put in a few miles on trails in a local forest/park, followed by strength training class. It should be a beautiful day for running in the woods!

SUS - My take on it: Very beginning runners do often find a "never-before reached" pace in races because they have done all of their runs at an easy pace. And for a time, simply adding miles will continue to make them faster. But for those of us who have been running for 6 mos, a year or more, getting faster will require running faster.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 10 miles with the last 5 progressive from MP to HMP.  It was 86F and 80DP (yes, 80DP!) so it was hard but my chest didn't die.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

CitySports.com is having a clearance sale on running shoes - looks like some even have free shipping.

Where's your hip hurting, LL?

Isn't 80DP like basically swimming, D?

Morning all!

LRB

For example, if you want to run a 6:30 pace in a 5K should you run that pace sometime during your training leading up to the race?

In running my first sub-20:00 5k (6:24 pace), I never actually ran that pace in training.  I train with Daniels, who uses the vdot method for setting training paces, which uses your most recent personal best time for a given distance.

When I ran my 19:33 5k, I did actually run that pace in training, in the form of intervals 5 X 1000's. Mostly because I ran the race without looking at my watch, so I wanted to know what race pace would feel like.

So you can do it both ways, it just depends on who you are training with.

I would add that I did a lot of "R" pace training during 5k season, which is around 1 mile pace.  Those are run at much shorter intervals however, 10 X 400's for instance.  Training at "R" pace, makes racing at 5k goal pace not so bad.

delicate flower

When I ran my 19:33 5k, I did actually run that pace in training, in the form of intervals 5 X 1000's.

I follow the "I really don't know what the hell I am doing, so let's try this" training plan.  My 5K PR pace is 6:50.  I run half mile speed intervals on a treadmill at a pace faster than 6:00.  I'll do 6-8 of those.  That has not translated into a sub-6:00 pace in a 5K, but my PR keeps falling and I think my current PR (21:13) is very soft, as I beat that in the first half of my last 10K, and my workouts since have gotten faster.

<3

Jess runs for bacon

CitySports.com is having a clearance sale on running shoes - looks like some even have free shipping.

Morning all!

On that bumpy spot on the back and on the side. When I run its right in the joint. Just made an appointment for a massage at 10 though.

Annnnd now I am shoe shopping....

Docket_Rocket

I agree with both Shari, LRB, and Baboon (well, not both because they are three!).  Except you should not run fast all the time.  You need to run fast some of the time, in the form of MP runs or a variation of that (for marathons), HMP pace for HMs, etc.  If what you mean is to run race pace on your easy runs, the answer would be no.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning all!

Yes, except we get this too often than not.

But how the fuck was September worse than August?  June and July are a piece of cake, August is always WTF but September is WTF turned into some 80s weather.  How the fuck are we still hitting triple digit heat indexes and 77-80DP?  I demand this ceases at once!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

StepbyStep-SH

I agree with both Shari, LRB, and Baboon (well, not both because they are three!).  Except you should not run fast all the time.  You need to run fast some of the time, in the form of MP runs or a variation of that (for marathons), HMP pace for HMs, etc.  If what you mean is to run race pace on your easy runs, the answer would be no.

Important point! Run faster than race pace in the form of intervals, RP segments to runs, etc..., but in limited amounts.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.