Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins Say "I Do"! (Read 33 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

All the excitement about Awood's wedding got me thinking about my special day 11 years  ago. My beloved wife and I had a "themed" wedding. She is into medieval history so we had a medieval themed wedding! Guests were encouraged to come dressed up. We had medieval musicians, who actually were only supposed to be around for cocktail hour , but they were having such a good time that they stayed and entertained us for the rest of the evening! This was at a place called Stokesay Castle, which is a house/restaurant that is a replica of a castle in England. We had an awesome "castle cake" that was crafted with or input by a local baker. She had to assemble it on site! Much revelry and many memories were had by all!

Tracilynn - sorry to here that the shin splints are back. Hope you can find the source of the problem.

Zelanie - this recent injury I took off 3 days and ran, then took off 8 days and started to run "normally" again. The pain is still there but it is getting better not worse - and pain may be a bad word, it's more like discomfort. It did bring back the pain I had last time which is on the inside of my left ankle. But that too is feeling better.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

hog4life

Gustav, thanks for the start. Your wedding sounds really neat! Congrats on the 11 years; my wife and I will hit 30 in September.

Traci, boo on more shin pain. I'm sorry Sad

Jack, I seen your reply and memo, haven't looked it up yet, but I will once DW gives me the okay she will travel and combine the running, thanks for the invite.

AFM, I ended up with 7.25 last night at the class. Tonight will be 5-7 easy I hope. Then tomorrow, one of the other coaches in our NOBO group wants to do some hill repeats, so will do hill work out on Wed.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 6 miles and weights later.

Gustav, that is so romantic.

Mitch, nice 7.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning Gus, Mitch, and DR.

4-5 miles with intervals later.

Bin Running

Gustav, thanks for starting and the theme is so cool!

Mitch, congrats on the 30 yrs. Looks like runner's a faithful bunch.

Damaris, good luck with the 6 and weight later.

Margo, good luck with the intervals later.

Was to do 4x1200 repeat but the weather is too hot. On early shift now. So, running for me is between off work and dinner. The sun is too strong and only started to get mellow at 630 onwards. Didn't had this issues last year if I can remember. Maybe have to think of something else.

Since it is so hot, I decided to hit the trail for the 2nd time. 7.5M done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks for starting us off, Gustav!   Nice wedding you had there, sounds like fun!  Mine and Gail's was in Hawaii.   That is where we met when I was stationed there in the Air Force.  We had a traditional Hawaiian wedding at a place called Paradise Park.   Hawaiian garments, lush tropical greenery, waterfall in the background, we even had talking parrots there, lol.  Very laid back and lots of fun.  Our honeymoon was spent at Bellows Air Force Recreation Center in a cabin that was 100 yards from the ocean  when you opened the back door., and one of the nicest beaches on the island of Oahu.  Nice.

Congrats on your miles, Mitch!   Good luck with the miles tonite.

Traci, sorry about the shin splints!

So a normal day for Damaris....miles and weights. Big grin

Good luck with the intervals, Margo!

Bin, you're going to have to do what we Texans do:   get up and run EARLY a.m.....like 4 - 6 a.m.   Or go out later at night, after sunset.

I went to the Y this morning.  Very convenient as it opens at 5:15 a.m. Mon-Fri.  Did 3.3 miles around Trinity University and then on the campus for a bit too.  Very nice area, wide roads, beautiful houses - they remind me of "David Winter" houses in his models, for those of you who know who David Winter is - very little traffic early in the morning, and well-lighted area.  I passed one house and heard this barking....it was two pups, maybe about a year old.   They were very friendly.   Even more so after I went over to their yard to say "hello" and gave them treats.  My hamstring is still bothering me a tad, but getting better - like Gustav's, it's not really pain, more of  a mild discomfort.  So I am able to still do my run/walk thing, but am taking it easy, just doing a nice sedate pace for me - about 11 min miles -  till it is fully back to 100 percent.   Weather was just beautiful:   low dewpoint, no wind, 62 degrees, sweeet.   Glad I did my thing this morning cuz after I was done, I saw the weather on the TV at the Y and thunderstorms are predicted for this evening, at the time I usually run.   So I will miss being out in that, thank goodness!

Another busy day at work today as I am still the only 'worker' bee in my department, with my co-worker still recovering from her stroke.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

good morning all

5.6 miles this with hill repeats. was a pretty good workout, but wasnt real fun. That hill seems a lot shorter on the way down Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH and I got W4D1 done last night, so we'll do W4D2 tonight.  I was quite happy to discover that last night's walk was only 20 minutes, not 35 like I thought -- my knee was kinda fussy after swimming.  But I made it through the walk, and I iced it, and did my little exercises, so at least I'm being a good girl.  Hopefully it'll fuss less tonight, since I'm not also swimming.

Gustav -- your wedding sounds like so much fun!!

hog -- good luck with your easy miles!!

Docket -- have fun with your 6 and weights!!

Phillie -- good luck with the intervals!!

Bin -- maybe stick with the trail until the weather breaks?

scotty -- hope you don't get too busy today, and woo-hoo for puppies!!

T-rod -- the hills are shorter on the way down.  It's a scientifically proven fact!

For traci -- so sorry to hear about your shin splints!!  Maybe look into barefoot/minimalist?  It's awfully hard to land hard when you know there's no padding there ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  Today I hope that I get some answers about my knee!  I don't know that I'll be able to check back in until this evening, since I still can't seem to post from my phone, but I'll try to update when I can.

DH and I will have been married for 13 years this June.  We got married in the forest, actually right down the road from where they were holding that ultra this weekend.  There's a beautiful lodge overlooking a small lake that you used to be able to rent out.  I used to work with a woman who is a very talented pastry chef, so we had two cakes.  A more traditional wedding cake, then a "groom's cake" that was a stack of firewood!

The little meringue mushrooms were edible and so delicious!

Gustav- The castle cake sounds awesome!

Mitch- Your NOBO group already wants to do hill work?  Sounds like the "advanced" class!

D- Enjoy the run and weights later on.

Margo- Good luck on the intervals!

Bin- I hope you figure out the best way to manage your schedule and the heat.

Scotty- Sounds like a lovely run!

Zelanie

T-rod- Just two days back and you're already doing hills?

HsM- Hope the knee behaves tonight!

Singer who runs a smidge

Zelanie, the groom's cake looks ... interesting!!  The only thing unusual about DH's and my wedding cake is that I bought Shrek and Fiona figures to make the wedding topper.  DH took me to see Shrek for our first date, so that was the reason.  It was very cute, if I do say so myself!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Scotty, night runs is a little more appealing now. Will see. Maybe I'll get used to theading and heat?

Hopesmom, as much as I don't mind the trail, it's a little challenging to do intervals. Haa.

Tomas, good job with the hills.

Mel, hope you get an answer to the knee problem. It happen so suddenly after the HM.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Zel, it's one of the other mentors. She is even more of a veteran runner than I am, she has done quite a few full marathons with her best being 4:17. I actually look to her for a lot of advice.

Zelanie

HsM- The Shrek and Fiona figures sound cute!  The groom's cake was very tasty, too.  Very light and creamy.

Bin- I think it happened during the HM.  I remember hearing that the last few miles suck, so when my knee started hurting I just figured that was what people were talking about.  Now I think I ran the last 3 or so on an injured knee.

Mitch- Guess I need to check my reading comprehension!  Running hills with one of the coaches makes a lot more sense.   Nice that you have a runner that you can get advice from, too!