Beginners and Beyond

Placid Penguins' Mondaily (Read 24 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

I figured a lot of us would be planning a placid day after racing this weekend.  It is probably a RD again for me unless I feel like I need to run 4 or something like that.

I spent all day yesterday with the Costa Rica applicants because they were there for their interviews.  Where did my weekend go?  In any case, final decision about who will travel will be made by Friday.

Ginny, I love that your mileage is coming back so well!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Dentist appointment after work, so 5, 9, or 0, depending on time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

It is again time for a massage. Man, I really get the knots in my calves and upper glutes. I am going to try some intervals today while DD is swimming; 7 miles total with 7x800 mixed in.  DD did very well at her meet this weekend. We were there for nine hours yesterday but it was well worth it. She already qualified in one event (200m breast) for the 13-14 summer JO meet and she is only 12. She swam in six events and took off time in every one. She is such a hard worker in the pool and we are super happy for her.

Have a nice green Monday.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Howdy!  Looking forward to better weather this week, and hopefully some good running.  congrats to this weekend's racers.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Hi everyone, today's plan calls for 6x1200's, then I have the C25K group from work for 2 miles, so I should end up with 7-9. I hope to get a RR up tonight when I get home. I got a PR, but was disappointed that I didn't get to spend more time with Jimmy. My wife was having a really bad day with her Fibro, and is not the social bunny that most of us are, so I missed getting some pics with him. Once again, sorry Jimmy.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I wanted to share this picture with you guys. That is my younger DD on the right and her good friend. She is moving to Kansas today because her dad got a head coaching job at a university out there. The kids went out for one last hurrah last night after the swim meet and  got this special picture of the two of them. It is nice because they are such good friends and it's a double floater! That is also the track where I do some of my runs.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Haha...too fun.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Morning all!

Yesterday's run ended up being better than it had to be.  The purpose of the run was to remind my body that it can run three days in a row, so my plan was just to go 3-4 miles at a nice easy pace.  I felt good, so ended up going a little over four miles -- and when I checked my pace afterwards, I was a little faster than the "fast" end of my typical pace range.  That was nice, but I know it means the running gods will get their revenge with a crappy run in the future.

No running for me today, but I'll do some yoga after work.

Bin Running

Morning. RD today. 2 more days before going to hongkong. 17-23deg C. Disneyland here I come.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Ya, finally get some serious rain for 2 days after what seem like forever. And the plane is still missing.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

From the Internet.

Achy Legs McGee is heading to the gym in a few. Going to try for a mile on the treadmill to see how my legs are faring and then probably just upper body weights, maybe some glute-ham raises, ice and compression sleeves when I get back.

GinnyinPA

Z - I thought the Costa Rica trip was already settled.  How many are going?  When do you leave and how long will you all be gone?  Enjoy your RD.

Damaris - good luck at the dentist.

Jack - congratulations to your daughter.  Did you get any running in over the weekend?  That may be why you're stiff.  I don't imagine the bleachers are very comfortable.  Enjoy the massage and intervals.

Awood - I hope you have a good running week.  No more antiquated treadmills.

Mitch - good job on the race.  Have fun this evening with your intervals and running group.  Do you all run at a track?

Margo - sounds like a nice run.  I love the days when I decide it's going so well I just have to add a little distance or a few more hills.  Much better than the ones where my internal voice is saying, "Am I there yet?"

Bin - is it the rain that cooled you off.  Sounds like nice weather.  Have fun at Disneyland in Hong Kong.  Good luck on your race.

Lauren - I hope a gentle treadmill trot will loosen you up.  I woke up stiff and sore after yesterday's LR, but walking with Ben this morning loosened up all my muscles.  It usually does.

AFM:  we woke to 3-4 inches of fresh snow.  After walking Ben, we shoveled the driveway. The snow was still falling and the sun was shining, cancelling each other out.   It was melting pretty fast, which made it easy to shovel.  RD here, though I may do a video or get on the exercise bike to stretch my body a bit.

From the Internet.

I got in 1.25 miles, loosened up after a few minutes and felt pretty good but I didn't want to overdo it. I'll shoot for 3 tomorrow and see how that goes.

Put my extra energy into killing my bench press - 3 sets of 5 at 80 pounds after warming up and then another 2x10 at 60 pounds just to get in more volume. I might even be brave and go for 85 next time!

Docket_Rocket

Ya, finally get some serious rain for 2 days after what seem like forever. And the plane is still missing.

That is still fucked up.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page