Beginners and Beyond

Drag Racing Friday Penguins (Read 25 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Wednesday

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

I wish my dad would have blocked traffic for me when I drag raced!

As for me, I managed to smash the back of my left heel on my basement steps. It was a nice bloody mess and there is a piece of skin missing right where the heel rubs on the shoe. Sorry about the graphic description. I think I might nix any plans for a half this spring. My base building is turning into base shedding with weather, illness, and now this.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

PADRunner

Well I drug myself out of bed this morning and did 30 on the elliptical. Looks like I may be spending more time on it in the future.

I tried to run on Wed. and was not able to get very far. It does not seem to be motion related, more with  impact so I'm suspecting a stress fracture. I've got a Dr. apt Monday to find out what the future holds, but my first HM is looking doubtful now.

hog4life

Gus, your running has been doing well, don't throw it out yet.

RD for me today, but I'll take running gear with me to work tonight so I can meet the group on Sat morning. We have a LR planned for 10-12.

hog4life

Pad, hope you heal up quickly. I guess I missed it, how long have you been injured?

PADRunner

Pad, hope you heal up quickly. I guess I missed it, how long have you been injured?

About 2 weeks now. I cut way back then took 3 days off before trying to run again.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  Sorry about the heel Gus.  Watch  that last step.  Hope Dr. has good news, PAD.  Enjoy the RD Mitch and the LR tomorrow.

I'm back from my health club and DW is heading off to Curves.  We will go see Saving Mr. Banks later this morning.  Then it's off to the dentist again.  Maybe a short run when the novacaine wears off.

Have a great weekend !!

Zelanie

Morning!  14 on tap for me after work tonight, and if I'm motivated I will start on DD's birthday cake after that.  If I do, then I won't have to get up and run 4 at too damn early o'clock tomorrow because I'll have some time in the afternoon.

PAD- That is so frustrating!  I hope you get some good answers from your Dr. appointment.

Gus- I am hoping you feel differently after the heel heals up.

Mitch- Enjoy the group LR!  That will be your first time back to double digits after your full, correct?

Jerry- Hope that's the last dentist appt. you need for a while.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I agreed to go to a colleague's group meeting today because he wanted to discuss a particular paper.  This morning I find out the meeting is from noon to 2 ... seriously, a 2-hour meeting about ONE PAPER???  So basically I have a couple of hours to read the paper, start up a sample, and by golly I am nuking my lunch and taking it with me!  I figured it would be an hour, tops.  Anyway ...

Gustav -- wow, sounds really painful!!  Hope it heals quickly!

PAD -- possible stress fracture, yuck!!  

hog -- have a good LR with the group tomorrow!!

Jerryb -- enjoy the movie, and good luck at the dentist!!

Zelanie -- somehow I don't think I could bake a cake after a long run.  Good luck!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Gus and PAD: Sorry for the bad news. PAD, it may not be a stress fracture, you know. Fingers crossed...

Hog: You work all night and then run when your shift is over? Impressive!

Jerry: Enjoy the movie (I did).

Zel: You are going to do great in your next HM. I wish you were training for 26.2!

HsM: Sounds fun (yawnnn...)

As for me, I ran 9 miles last night. The foot feel pretty good, but today my legs are a bit tired. That was my longest run since my marathon. I think I tried to come back too soon from that and that led to some other problems. Today is a rest day and 4 recovery miles tomorrow. My "problem" now is do I stay on a marathon plan with DW to help her get her goal of sub 4:00 or do I go back and do the Pfitz 18/55 plan to try for a PR.  Logic seems to say stick with DW.

Have a good weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, Fellow Penguins, the temp  in San Antonio when I got up at 6:30 a.m. was 27 degrees with a wind chill of -3!  That is DAMN COLD for we South Texans!  We did get freezing rain last night and all our highway overpasses froze over and so we have had several accidents from last night to this morning.  Mainly because the 'idiot drivers' are still trying to get over the overpasses even though the police put out a city-wide bulletin not to.  Some folks even had to abandon their cars last night, leaving them on the local highways.  I did come in to work this morning, driving on the back roads going very easily and got in okay.  My normal 20 minute commute took me 45 minutes.  Don't care, I was in no hurry, just played it nice and safe.   Then got to work and found out I should have stayed home anyway cuz the university put out a 'weather alert' message via internet, phone, etc, that the university would be closed today because of the road conditions.  I forgot to check the darn thing before leaving home, duhhhh!   Oh well...kind of nice to be in the office all by myself and I have gotten quite a lot done with no interruptions.   I'll be going home shortly.  Right now it is 29 degrees, so we have 'warmed up' a bit, lol.

Today is a rest day for me and tomorrow I have two 5Ks, one in the morning, and one at 4 PM.  The weather should be a lot nicer.  By tomorrow, San Antonio will be heading back into the 60s for the high.  The temp for my morning 5K will be near 40, so not bad at all. Crazy Texas weather!

Gustav, sorry about your heel and your half marathon plans!  That sounds painful, so just behave yourself and you HEEL until you are better.  Good dog!

Wow, PAD, I sure hope you don't have a stress fracture!  Even if it is not that, it still sucks to have any injury.   Hope you are not benched for long!

Good luck with your long run, Mitch, especially after working a night shift!

Ugg,dentist, don't remind me, Jerry.  I think I have a cavity in my back tooth, I need to make an appointment.   Give a review of the movie after you see it, Gail is interested in going to that one, would appreciate your input.

Good luck with your run, Zelanie and with the birthday cake!

Noon to 2 meeting, HsM?  Do they give you lunch at this meeting? Sure hope so!

Congrats on the 9 miles, Jack!  I vote sticking with your DW until your legs are absolutely back to 100% and you are completely sure the PF is all resolved.  Just because you are feeling better now does not mean things are COMPLETELY healed yet.  So give it some time.  The other benefit, of course, from sticking with your wife is that she will really appreciate that from you and so you get 'brownie points"..and maybe some fringe benefits, eh?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Gus and pad  so sorry.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Dad on the run.

Gus - That's sounds painful, sorry about the injury

Pad - Get to feeling better soon

Hog - Enjoy your LR with the group

Zel - don't tease us with birthday cake unless you are going to share it with us all

HopesMom - Got to love meetings...

Jack - Glad your foot is feeling better

Scotty - Hah, that sucks. You could have so slept in this morning!

AFM - I got 3 miles in the cold lastnight, was 23 degrees, brrrrr. I managed to keep all 3 miles under 10m with an average of 9:29/m. I am going to go for a LR Sunday with some guys from work, miles ranging from 8 - 16. I'm going to run with the 8 mile group and stop if I need to. I really feel if I keep it at a 10:30m/m pace or so I should be able to finish it. We'll see what the body tells me after the first 4 and I'll just play it 1 mile at a time.

Also has anyone seen the new New Balance shoes coming out? The Plush Foam 980s? Looks very interesting, and the midsoles were created using 3d printing technology.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Last night I ran/walked 1.75 miles on the TM with a .25 mile walking warmup and .25 mile walking cool down for 2.25 miles total. Then I did strength stuff.

Yoga tonight after work.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Gustav - when is the HM taking place?  As much mileage as you were doing, if your heel heals fairly quickly, you should be okay, even if you do need to take a week or two off now.  It does sound painful though.

PADRunner - so sorry you're still in pain.  Good idea to see a doc to find out what's going on.

Mitch - enjoy your group run tomorrow.

Jerry - enjoy the movie and the run this afternoon.

Z - what kind of cake are you baking?  Yours are always so creative.  Enjoy your run later.

HopesMom - I hope at least the topic is interesting, if you are going to have to sit still for two hours to discuss it.

Jack - train with your wife, and then when the race comes you can decide whether or not to go for a PR.

Scotty - I hope the ice melts off before you have to drive home.  Have fun at your races tomorrow.

Jimmy - nice that you've found some folks to run with.  Have you run with them before?  Have fun Sunday.

Kristin - have fun at yoga.  As hard as you've been working the past two weeks, a good stretch will probably feel really good.

AFM:  Another rest day for me.  It was 10 deg. when we walked Ben, so I'm just as glad to stay indoors.  Between the snow showers we're expecting the next few days and the sub-freezing temps, the snow and ice will be sticking around a while longer. We don't get above freezing until Feb. 2, supposedly.