Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES brought to you by the letters T and M... (Read 36 times)

Docket_Rocket

Ended up with 6 miles on the TM with 0.50 intervals at incline and the last 0.25 at GMP.  Very tough but nice workout.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Thanks peeps!  Officially 1:29:11

The race report is up and now I can go shower!  lol

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Thanks peeps!  Officially 1:29:11

The race report is up and now I can go shower!  lol

Congrats! That's right speedy!

I ran the hometown half today. It was hilly as all get out. None of them were awful. One was a bit of a doozy, but the hills just kept coming the whole race. I ran a bunch of hills during this training cycle and it paid off. My goal was to break two hours and I came in at 1:56:47. DH and I have to head out of town here in a bit, so I'll try to get a RR up later this evening or tomorrow. Spending hours in the car isn't on the top of my list of fun things to do right now, but being away from work for a few days is.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I got a text from LRB.  He wanted you to know that his HM was good and somewhere in the sub-1:30 range.

Awesome time, Rick!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Nice race, HL!

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Congrats! That's right speedy!

I ran the hometown half today. It was hilly as all get out. None of them were awful. One was a bit of a doozy, but the hills just kept coming the whole race. I ran a bunch of hills during this training cycle and it paid off. My goal was to break two hours and I came in at 1:56:47. DH and I have to head out of town here in a bit, so I'll try to get a RR up later this evening or tomorrow. Spending hours in the car isn't on the top of my list of fun things to do right now, but being away from work for a few days is.

Great race!  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I went to downtown San Antonio this morning and ended up with 4 miles on the Riverwalk.  It was a beautiful day along the river, sunny, low temp (62 degrees when I started at 9 a.m.), low humidity and a gentle breeze blowing which felt great when I ran into it head on.  Sunday is a great day to run the Riverwalk because it is very peaceful in the morning, most of the 'tourists" sleep in late and the place does not get really busy until about lunchtime.  There were a few folks up early eating breakfast at some of the river patio restaurants I passed by on my run/walk.  The back half of the run near King William District was a bit crowded though, because I forgot the last Sunday of the month in San Antonio is Siclovia Day (Sick-low-vee-ah).  This is a day once a month when the city closes one of the city streets to all motor vehicle for quite a ways and lets people come out and walk, bike, hike, run, rollerblade, etc. on the closed street.  It's part of the city's program to get more people to engage in some type of physical activity to promote health and wellness. The street today was St. Mary's Street downtown and as that is quite close to the Riverwalk, there was some 'overflow" pedestrian traffic from Siclovia onto part of the Riverwalk.  But that's okay, it was all good, my outing was very enjoyable.  Lots of runners out too - some who recognized me from races and I got calls of "Go Scottydog!" lol - and my last mile I encountered a friend  who was doing his last mile too and had a very nice time chatting with him as we ran our last mile together.    After we finished, we sat on the patio of Blue Star Brewery - a local microbrewery that makes a really good lager - and had a cold one - so what if it was only 10 am.? ) -  cooling down, enjoying the sunshine and the river in front of us, and watching the other runners, walkers, and cyclists still out there.  Nice way to finish up!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jay, it took me a bit to figure out what the letters T and M had to do with wet snow...and then I got it.  Duhhhh...guess my brain is slowing down in my old age, lol.

Dang, snow for Jay, 28 degrees for LRB, pouring rain for Basya, snow for Lily..gosh, I had such beautiful weather for my run that after reading all your weather reports I feel guilty....wait...no I don't!    I sure hope the weather where y'all are improves soon!  If not...let's plan a San Antonio FE and y'all can come down for a few days and we'll run and then drink post-run.

Congrats on your half, LRB!

Good luck to your kids today, Step, hope they both did well!

Happy bumming around with the wife, Baboon!  Hope her miles went well.

Hope you had fun at the birthday party, Andrew!

I didn't know you were a painter, Marjorie.  What are you painting...portrait...still life...scenic?

Wow!  Congrats on the PB miles, Dave!

The TM, Damaris?  Is it still raining down there?

Enjoy your time out of town, Hobbit!  Congrats on your half and the sub-two!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I got 15.5 miles in this morning, then relaxed before we had to go to a birthday grill-out thing. I spent pretty much the whole hour and a half chasing Dorian around, my right foot hurts so blah.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

B-Plus

Huge congrats to LRB!!! Is that your first time popping your sub-1:30 cherry? Can I get some dancing banana for our speedy friend Rick?

10.7 - first time in double digits since Oct. 13.

Hi dailies:

Rick - Congrats!  Will read the RR in a few, smokin' time!

Basya - huh, a women's workout area at the Y?  Weird, everyone uses the same room here.

Baboon - hope the day off went well

Step - busy busy

Lily - hah, that is the life... no one around, coffee, and a LR.  Good stuff.

D - good recovery and bike to you

Brr - have fun

Marjorie - painting, sorry

OOTB - hi

DaveP - Congrats on the mileage PB.  I bought some almond butter a few weeks back when you recommended it, and finally got around to eating some.  OMG delicious... with kiwi-strawberry jam.

Hobbit - great job on breaking 2:00, congrats!

Tom - hi

Scotty - San Antonio could be the next Eugene, with less rain and more warm.  Count me in.  Big grin

Free - Duct tape? ;p

Today was really my last chance to nail a good LR before the race, and I managed to pull off 21.25 at MP with confidence that a final half-hour would have been doable.  There were women on both sides of me talking on their phones while TM walking.  I was soooo tempted to act out answering a phone with my hand, and then loudly chew out the "caller" for causing me to be rude to the other gym members.

By the time I was done, sunny and mid-40s had reduced last night's weather hijinks to dry roads, almost as if it had never happened.

Tonight, The Walking Dead season finale!

B+ - nice job on making it back to double digits.

Rick

Zelanie

3.4 for me today to hit this week's mileage target.  Legs are tired.

I'm looking over marathon plans for the fall, and I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not fast enough for Pfitz.  I had been leaning towards 18/70, but with the fatigue I've felt this spring in my HM training, was thinking 18/55 might be more realistic.  But there are two issues there.  The first is that I'd like to peak higher than 55 miles.  I've held 50 successfully this spring with quality work and think I could go a bit higher for the fall.  But the bigger issue is that the LR and MLR are both a lot of time on my feet at my pace (over 10:00 for long runs currently).

So now I think I'm leaning towards Daniels' 4-week-cycles plan.  It has just 2 Q sessions a week (doesn't have the MLR that you get with Pfitz), and every 4th week is a higher mileage week with all easy-paced runs, which is something that I enjoy- running lots of slow miles seems to be something I do well.  It would mean shorter LRs, which I think is a good thing, as most are time-limited to 140 minutes.

I would worry about 140 minutes not being enough for marathon training for me (that would probably be about 14 miles, and I've gone up to 15 for my HM), BUT there are a couple of doozies that aren't time-limted, like 16 @ MP + 50 minutes easy 4 weeks out.  Yikes!  So maybe it makes sense to have the long runs on the off-weeks be limited by time.

Thoughts?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

For a second I wondered what you meant by duct tape lol. Believe me, I have serious thoughts of a leash for him but I have to remember that I don't want to discourage his activity level or his drive to run.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Scotty, no, it's not raining but I need to do a hilly workout and the elevation here is 0ft.  Also, I cannot run past 8am because it's too hot and I had a bike ride tonight.

11.58 miles on the bike with hubby.

Damaris

Fundraising Page