Beginners and Beyond

Runner forfiets race over bib number (Read 191 times)

happylily

Anyway, I've enjoyed this conversation a lot. I don't care if you think from the left side or the right side of your brain, and I don't care if we all have different opinions and didn't come to an agreement. I'm glad that we can all at least use our brain and I thank those who shared their opinions here. It's nice once in a while to talk about things other than the poo monster, the latest flavor of GU or what new injury is now plaguing us.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Anyway, I've enjoyed this conversation a lot. I don't care if you think from the left side or the right side of your brain, and I don't care if we all have different opinions and didn't come to an agreement.

However, we DO care if you split your bananas.

happylily

I must have missed that one. Big grin

Love the Half

I am now ready for the holidays. My Festivus Pole is ready.

Damn.  I thought I was the only person who used that name for my happy parts.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

But only on Sundays.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

No more marathons

One thing (actually there are many - I'm old after all) that confuses me, is why all the commotion over a converted pagan holiday  (Saturnalia) that has nothing to do with the birth of Christ other than the church wanting to get in on the festivities at that time.  There is no evidence to support a birth of Jesus on December 25th - it is more likely that he was born in late spring or early summer (after all, the shepherds were in the fields with their flocks - not in winter they weren't).  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Love the Half

One thing (actually there are many - I'm old after all) that confuses me, is why all the commotion over a converted pagan holiday  (Saturnalia) that has nothing to do with the birth of Christ other than the church wanting to get in on the festivities at that time.  There is no evidence to support a birth of Jesus on December 25th - it is more likely that he was born in late spring or early summer (after all, the shepherds were in the fields with their flocks - not in winter they weren't).  

The most likely scenario is around the end of September.  Any census would have to be after the harvest but before winter made travel difficult to impossible.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

But, but... most creches have the little figurines standing in snow, so it had to be in December...

Marathon Jesus DNF'd for my sins because he wasn't wearing a fuel belt.

Wait, Steve Aoki is a runner?

RSX

But, but... most creches have the little figurines standing in snow, so it had to be in December...

I have April in my pool at work

realize that if someone says Happy Darklord days, they just wished happiness upon you.  It was their attempt to be nice.

They're probably a beer geek then, but they would know that there is only ONE Dark Lord Day.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It's hard enough to get tickets.  I shouldn't have brought it up.  Don't let the cat out of the bag dammit!

They're probably a beer geek then, but they would know that there is only ONE Dark Lord Day.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The most likely scenario is around the end of September.  Any census would have to be after the harvest but before winter made travel difficult to impossible.

Climate change.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SusanRachel

Seriously?  Most people in the US who, if asked to name their religion, say they are Christian have not been to church since last Christmas or Easter and have not cracked a Bible more than once in the last few months.  Practicing Christians are so far from being the majority in this country as to make your comment laughable.  When I was in med school, I was THE ONLY practicing Christian in my year out of 120 students.  The year ahead of me had TWO.  Were we persecuted?  Daily!  In fact, there was a biopsychosocial "discussion" group that was a weekly 15 on 1 abuse session for me.  Every. Single. Week.  The professor would just sit there.  And then there was high school - the derogatory names and mocking because of my faith.  Now in the military, we are under fire, again for our beliefs.  I don't dare tell anyone in the military that I am a Christian because I can see the writing on the wall.  They are already kicking Christians out of the military for their beliefs and it will only get worse.

And the most fascinating thing to me is that after you posted this comment, a half dozen people piled on with the Christian bashing and not one joined me in defended the Christian young lady at the center of the article.

Christians are the only majority on the planet that manages to constantly assert that they are being persecuted.

happylily

Seriously?  Most people in the US who, if asked to name their religion, say they are Christian have not been to church since last Christmas or Easter and have not cracked a Bible more than once in the last few months.  Practicing Christians are so far from being the majority in this country as to make your comment laughable.  When I was in med school, I was THE ONLY practicing Christian in my year out of 120 students.  The year ahead of me had TWO.  Were we persecuted?  Daily!  In fact, there was a biopsychosocial "discussion" group that was a weekly 15 on 1 abuse session for me.  Every. Single. Week.  The professor would just sit there.  And then there was high school - the derogatory names and mocking because of my faith.  Now in the military, we are under fire, again for our beliefs.  I don't dare tell anyone in the military that I am a Christian because I can see the writing on the wall.  They are already kicking Christians out of the military for their beliefs and it will only get worse.

And the most fascinating thing to me is that after you posted this comment, a half dozen people piled on with the Christian bashing and not one joined me in defended the Christian young lady at the center of the article.

I'm sorry you had to go through all of this, Susan Rachel. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant at all. What was done to you was wrong. Out of curiosity, would you wear a bib with the number 666 or would you pass on the race? And if you wouldn't wear it, would you judge someone else who is a practicing Christian but decided to wear the 666 bib? Would you regard him as marked by the Beast?