Beginners and Beyond

Runner forfiets race over bib number (Read 191 times)

My experience is that in general (there are always bad eggs, Christians and non, but I'm speaking statistically) Christians don't get flack for their beliefs, they get flack for one belief:evangelism.  The belief that they have to try to save the rest of us.

If you are right and I go to hell for having a wife, well, you warned me.  I got it.  You can say I told you so.  Now act like Jesus and be kind to us heathens.  Stop trying to prevent us from seeing our loved ones in the hospital and or letting us be notified if they are killed in combat.

But if you (random Christian) insist that the only way to get into heaven is to save me, I guess you're right, I'm not going to tolerate that particular belief.  That's the line in the sand.  If you want to feel persecuted because you haven't managed to force your beliefs on the rest of the country, go ahead.

No more marathons

I've often wondered about the whole evangelizing routine.

According to

Matthew 6:5-6

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Did all the street corner preachers and those that come to my door to tell me my santa clause flag is a blight against god not read that part?

Susan Rachel - I am sorry for you that you suffered in your school years.  And I would love to see your evidence of "They are already kicking Christians out of the military for their beliefs and it will only get worse.".  Perhaps we could get that into the press instead of a high school upset over a bib number.  Seems that should be more newsworthy.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

"Christians are being kicked out of the military because of their belief."

I call BS.  This sounds like a Beck or Fox News sound bite with little/no/distorted facts behind it.

You people have issues 

GC100k

There is no evidence to support a birth of Jesus on December 25th -

Corrrect.  I was taught in Sunday School 40+ years ago that Jesus' birth was almost certainly not on Dec 25th but that's just when we have a holiday.  In the decades since, talking to hundreds of Christians, I've never met one who believes that Jesus was born on Dec 25.  I suppose they're out there however, so carry on your mission.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My experience is that in general (there are always bad eggs, Christians and non, but I'm speaking statistically) Christians don't get flack for their beliefs, they get flack for one belief:evangelism.  The belief that they have to try to save the rest of us.

That may be annoying, but evangelism is an outgrowth of Christians' basic beliefs, not itself a basic belief though we are instructed to spread the Gospel, i.e. good news. We are more likely persecuted and ridiculed for our beliefs in the inerrancy of Scripture, the physical resurrection of Christ, and miracles among others.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

As was given to the apostles in the Bible, the command to evangelize to the ends of the earth, I think it's appropriate to those who have the gift of evangelism.  Some don't and while they should still reflect Christianity in the way they live (that's true Christianity, not the one that gets picked apart on network TV) they probably won't evangelize.

It's like the old Sunday school song....."This little light of mine".  If it shines, then evangelism is coming out of you the way you live your life anyway.  My church, for example, loves to evangelize.  They recruit all the time.  They have a ministry that *does* go door to door.  However, if you witnessed our approach, I think you'd find it quite unintrusive.  (very unlike the Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, etc.)

If salvation is real and someone believes that, then it's worth it all to commit their lives to Christ to save their soul.  We focus so much on the here & now & only infrequently think eternally.  True Christians are harmless, if not annoying.  Big deal.  Not all will choose.

Love comes with rules (we often enforce them in our own earthly lives strictly, yet want them pardoned in our spiritual lives) and I believe that one of those is to confess to a savior that came to earth as God in human flesh (I just heard John Lennox speak as to why this is literally the thing that makes us unique), died on a cross as prophecied & confirmed to the day in the Old Testament (prophecy is huge in vetting Christianity) and rose from the grave to conquer death & offer eternal life in heaven to those who will just choose.

Lance Armstrong once said he gets Christianity & chooses not to believe it.  That bummed me out when I admired him, but I get it.  Some simply will say no to God.  Or at least the God of the Bible.

I'd ask for another number, or simply not run the race.  It's just a number but I can run another race.  I'd rather stand for my belief & at least feel good about it.

Randy

GC100k

How one atheist feels about evangelism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCdCVto2MN8

My church, for example, loves to evangelize.  They recruit all the time.  They have a ministry that *does* go door to door.  However, if you witnessed our approach, I think you'd find it quite unintrusive.  (very unlike the Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, etc.)

Strangers knocking on my door uninvited are by definition intrusive.

Dave

Tar Heel Mom

kween

"Christians are being kicked out of the military because of their belief."

I call BS.  This sounds like a Beck or Fox News sound bite with little/no/distorted facts behind it.

Maybe she meant the Iranian military.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

SusanRachel

I wouldn't be comfortable with it, but I would wear it because that is not the circumstance that the Bible was talking about.  I would not judge someone who chose not to wear it and in this young lady's case, it was the right decision for her.

I'm sorry you had to go through all of this, Susan Rachel. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant at all. What was done to you was wrong. Out of curiosity, would you wear a bib with the number 666 or would you pass on the race? And if you wouldn't wear it, would you judge someone else who is a practicing Christian but decided to wear the 666 bib? Would you regard him as marked by the Beast?

SusanRachel

A 19 year Air Force Senior Master Sergeant is being brought up on charges after he was ordered to reveal his views on gay marriage to his lesbian commander.  He did not volunteer the information; he was ordered.  If he loses his career, he will lose his retirement less than one year from eligibility.  He is only the tip of the iceberg in the AF.  Numerous others will not discuss religion or politics at all except in chapel.

In the Army, I do the same thing.  I will fare better if brought up on charges for refusing to answer a question than for answering the wrong way and I am certainly not about to mention that I went to chapel or a Bible study.  That puts me wide open for discrimination.  If I have to refer to them at all, I call them meetings.   Looking at my crystal ball, it will not be long at all until there is a call to dissolve the Chaplain corps either under the excuse that it is "state sponsored religion" (even though chaplains can be of pretty much any faith and provide much-needed religious support to troops who want it and non-religious support/counseling to those who prefer that) or, more likely, by mandating that all chaplains preach certain political beliefs (result: there will be no more Catholic or conservative Christian chaplains).

And for those who threw the bullshit card, no, it isn't bullshit.  I live in this world every day, 24/7/365.  I am fortunate in my current unit that there is an atmosphere of tolerance and acceptance of everyone, but I have been in units and have friends in units where that is most definitely not the case.

Susan Rachel - I am sorry for you that you suffered in your school years.  And I would love to see your evidence of "They are already kicking Christians out of the military for their beliefs and it will only get worse.".  Perhaps we could get that into the press instead of a high school upset over a bib number.  Seems that should be more newsworthy.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Well I'm glad we know all of the "facts" (ie. the commander is a lesbian).

Seriously, I have a couple of nephews and a 2nd cousin all currently serving and all very devout Christians and none of them have said anything like what you mention.

You people have issues 

obiebyke

Wait, he was ordered to reveal his homophobia and is being prosecuted? What is he being charged with? Sounds fishy. There must be more to the story. Also, being against gay marriage and being Christian are very different things.

For the record, I am against discrimination whoever is on the receiving end, including Christians. And I think, re: the OP,  since it wasn't hard to do, the RD should've switched out the girl's bib number. I'm sorry for any discrimination you've faced, SusanRachel.

A 19 year Air Force Senior Master Sergeant is being brought up on charges after he was ordered to reveal his views on gay marriage to his lesbian commander.  He did not volunteer the information; he was ordered.  If he loses his career, he will lose his retirement less than one year from eligibility.  He is only the tip of the iceberg in the AF.  Numerous others will not discuss religion or politics at all except in chapel.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

And for those who threw the bullshit card, no, it isn't bullshit.  I live in this world every day, 24/7/365.  I am fortunate in my current unit that there is an atmosphere of tolerance and acceptance of everyone, but I have been in units and have friends in units where that is most definitely not the case.

I expect that the unit and unit commander make a great deal of difference in how religious issues are handled. I happened to serve in a unit where the chaplain was a mainstream Presbyterian, the chaplain's assistant a charismatic Catholic, and I a fundamental Christian (please don't confuse that with Fundamentalism). Strangely we all got along and worked well together despite our superficial differences and had the acceptance, if not the support of staff command. That was also 35 years ago and I suspect things have changed a lot since then, even in the military, which tends to be conservative and resistant to change from what I can see.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Well, since we know that the commander is a lesbian, I should probably mention my wife of over 15 years (well legally just 3) is a believer in miracles and angels in addition to the Christian god.  I don't think it has ever occurred to either of us to try to convince the other to change.  As our life philosophies, priorities, morals, etc. are closely aligned, it's never been an issue.