Beginners and Beyond

Runner forfiets race over bib number (Read 191 times)

Dad on the run.

I'm a married stud, I'm a married stud, I'm a married stud.

That's it, I'm getting my horse crop.

How's that for going to hell Cool

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's the tamest I could find.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

TakeAHike

The whole discussion about religion in the military made me curious, so I googled a few articles to see what I could find.  I immediately found plenty of references to the 2005 investigation into proselytizing at the Air Force Academy.   In a nutshell, the accusation was that officers and senior cadets "inappropriately used their positions to push their evangelical Christian beliefs on Air Force cadets."  There were lots of examples provided in this NYT article.  I am not exactly sure what policies were enacted in the last eight years, but it seems fairly clear that the Air Force Academy made an effort to address these concerns.

The issue boiled up again this year.  In May 2013, a townhall.com article reported than an Air Force officer was forced to remove a Bible from his desk.  In July 2013, a number of House Republicans sent to a letter to Leon Panetta, urging him to investigate "the growing hostility toward religious freedom" in the Air Force.  This is summarized in a HuffPost article that also discuses whether it is appropriate for a military commander to say, "I am going to attend this [prayer group] and you are encouraged to attend." The congressmen who wrote to Panetta think this is an exercise of free speech. Others quoted in the article think this is coercive and improper.

In the last few weeks, the topic has really heated up.  On September 30th, FoxNews addressed the case that SusanRachel brought up.  I am trying to be impartial here, but I find this article very difficult to read. There are plenty of words, but few details that explain what really happened.  Then, just a few days ago, Army Times reported that an Air Force Academy trainer pledged to talk about his faith while on the job.  He was attributed with the following quote, “I am on staff at USAFA and will talk about Jesus Christ my Lord and savior to everyone that I work with”.

What I infer from all this, and this is just my opinion, is that proselytizing was once very common in the military (or at least in the Air Force).  The military was taken to task for this and has endeavored to make some changes.  These changes have gone too far for many evangelical Christians who now feel less welcome in the military than they did 10 years ago.  Some are vowing to disobey orders and continue to proselytize.  I can see that this would make for a difficult transition for many.  I would also not be shocked if some officers and enlisted men are "kicked out" of the military because of the conflict they see between their religious views and their orders.  So even though the idea seemed incredible to me at first, I can actually see how some evangelical Christians might feel discriminated against in the U.S. military.  I don't see it that way, but I guess can I understand why SR might.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Y'all are all going to HELL

I'm beginning to think this thread is already there.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Dad on the run.

I just have one last question to add to this thread....

"What did the fox say?"

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think I hate you. Now I have to think of a different song to get that stupid thing out of my head.....................

Monifah - Touch it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CL89fxfGZI

I just have one last question to add to this thread....

"What did the fox say?"

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Mmmmm...beer

That's it, I'm getting my horse crop.

How's that for going to hell Cool

It was me, I said it, I take full responsibility. Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

No more marathons

The whole discussion about religion in the military made me curious, so I googled a few articles to see what I could find.  I immediately found plenty of references to the 2005 investigation into proselytizing at the Air Force Academy.   In a nutshell, the accusation was that officers and senior cadets "inappropriately used their positions to push their evangelical Christian beliefs on Air Force cadets."  There were lots of examples provided in this NYT article.  I am not exactly sure what policies were enacted in the last eight years, but it seems fairly clear that the Air Force Academy made an effort to address these concerns.

The issue boiled up again this year.  In May 2013, a townhall.com article reported than an Air Force officer was forced to remove a Bible from his desk.  In July 2013, a number of House Republicans sent to a letter to Leon Panetta, urging him to investigate "the growing hostility toward religious freedom" in the Air Force.  This is summarized in a HuffPost article that also discuses whether it is appropriate for a military commander to say, "I am going to attend this [prayer group] and you are encouraged to attend." The congressmen who wrote to Panetta think this is an exercise of free speech. Others quoted in the article think this is coercive and improper.

In the last few weeks, the topic has really heated up.  On September 30th, FoxNews addressed the case that SusanRachel brought up.  I am trying to be impartial here, but I find this article very difficult to read. There are plenty of words, but few details that explain what really happened.  Then, just a few days ago, Army Times reported that an Air Force Academy trainer pledged to talk about his faith while on the job.  He was attributed with the following quote, “I am on staff at USAFA and will talk about Jesus Christ my Lord and savior to everyone that I work with”.

What I infer from all this, and this is just my opinion, is that proselytizing was once very common in the military (or at least in the Air Force).  The military was taken to task for this and has endeavored to make some changes.  These changes have gone too far for many evangelical Christians who now feel less welcome in the military than they did 10 years ago.  Some are vowing to disobey orders and continue to proselytize.  I can see that this would make for a difficult transition for many.  I would also not be shocked if some officers and enlisted men are "kicked out" of the military because of the conflict they see between their religious views and their orders.  So even though the idea seemed incredible to me at first, I can actually see how some evangelical Christians might feel discriminated against in the U.S. military.  I don't see it that way, but I guess can I understand why SR might.

The question I always have when the issue in bold above is raised by the offended party is would they allow someone on the opposite end of their spectrum the same right?  If one group, say evangelical christian is allowed to proselytize, then someone who is a satanic cultist must also be allowed the same privilege.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Only if you agree to spank me after I'm done with you Evil

It was me, I said it, I take full responsibility. Big grin

PRs

Mmmmm...beer

Only if you agree to spank me after I'm done with you Evil

Deal!  And then we can post pics of our asses! Wink

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I cannot post anymore of my ass for this year, I have posted enough I think (and some would agree). You can PM me pics of you though, I wouldn't mind Cool

Deal!  And then we can post pics of our asses! Wink

PRs

Love the Half

TakeAHike, your post makes way too much sense for the interwebs.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

TakeAHike, your post makes way too much sense for the interwebs.

Yes, it explains quite a few things. Thank you, TAH.

Even though I can enjoy a good serious conversation about religion, with friends, or *gasp* on an internet forum, I would prefer that the subject not be part of anything that has to do with my government or my country's army. And that goes for all religions, not just Christianity. But I still want my paid day off on Christmas day, of course. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I didn't know Canadians still had an Army.  Whoda thunk it?  Of course, when it comes to government, they do have some crazy mayors.  Wink

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

I didn't know Canadians still had an Army.  Whoda thunk it?  Of course, when it comes to government, they do have some crazy mayors.  Wink

Not crazy... Just colorful. Angry

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010