Beginners and Beyond

Fired Up Friday Penguins (Read 25 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

First song on the playlist.

Chariots of Fire

I needed it to get started. 4 Easy this morning but felt good after I got going.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning PADRunner!  Great job getting it going early.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Baconista- Thank you!  Awesome surprise this morning on my St. Jude profile.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

1.8 miles yesterday with NOBO and then a plank challenge with all 3 grandkids, I did 4:00 minutes!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me, yay!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

SRD for me today, but busy day.  Leaving work at 4 to go do some hospital stuff - Gail has to have surgery on her toe - and then am a volunteer for packet-pickup today from 3 - 6 pm for the Whine Run 5-miler that is on Monday.   I have no race on Saturday for a change, since I am running on Monday.  Looking forward to Saturday as the college football season starts.  I love football!   My university team starts its season with an away game at U. of New Mexico.  Sep 7, we play Oklahoma State at home in the Alamodome and will probably get slaughtered.  Oh well, the university has only had a team for 3 years and we're already playing the Big Boys, it's all a learning experience, right?   Hoping my other favorite teams - Longhorns, Va. Tech, LSU, Notre Dame - all do well.   Hope the Texas A&M Aggies, whom I can't stand, lose every game, lol. Unless they play Alabama, whom I really can't stand. In that case, go Aggies!

Holidays for August 30 are Toasted Marshmallow Day, College Colors Day; and Holistic Pets Day.

marshmallow cartoons, marshmallow cartoon, marshmallow picture, marshmallow pictures, marshmallow image, marshmallow images, marshmallow illustration, marshmallow illustrations

marshmallow cartoons, marshmallow cartoon, marshmallow picture, marshmallow pictures, marshmallow image, marshmallow images, marshmallow illustration, marshmallow illustrations

mascot cartoons, mascot cartoon, mascot picture, mascot pictures, mascot image, mascot images, mascot illustration, mascot illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

PAD: great song!

hog: nice plank, 4:00!?

Docket: I like SRDs Smile

Scotty: at what university do you work? I know you have said, but...   Enjoy Saturday at home. That will be strange for you!

As for me, 10 long, hot, miserable miles last night.  I didn't go out until 8:30 and it was still 88*. The air was hot and stagnant and I hated it. I just don't do well in the heat and today my legs are tired. Good job I have a SRD today and 4 recovery miles tomorrow. DD has her first XC race in the morning the we are off to the beach until Monday.

Happy three day weekend!

Philliefan33

Hey everyone -- I'm outta here!  The weekend starts for me in 10 minutes, and I'll be off the grid until Tuesday.

Happy running, enjoy the weekend!

Zelanie

Morning!  1:00 plank done.  Headed in to work.  5 later.

Jack- Congrats on pulling the plug and signing up!

Mitch- You win "longest plank" I think. Wink

SheCan

Good morning everyone and who is PADRunner?

LOL, oh, and Hi PAD or perhaps I should say Ey Pad!

Hi Awood and  Mitch (awesome job on the plank challenge! ),

Docket and Scotty enjoy your rest day today!  Scotty, what's going on with Gail's toe?  LOL@ you sounding like my DH!  He loves college FB.  So this is the starting weekend for me as a football widow.  And then after the games, he and his brother then get on the computer and play Madden's football teams.

Jack-- Ugh@ 88* for a 10 miler.  That is way too warm.  Good luck to your DD and enjoy the beach (yup, I'm jealous!)

Yesterday it only got up to 79* as the high.  It was all damp and most of the day I was kind of cold, but in such a nice, nice way.  Today so far is cool, too.  I did 3 easy and super cool (low 60*s) miles.  Was fantastic.  Need to get around soon though, and bring my older neighbor to the airport to pick up her son.  I think she's going to treat us to a nice lunch will we're in Tucson.  Will be nice.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning!!!  Quick 3.5m, 70dp.  Busy day, going downtown for walk through for wedding venue (and payment)  :-(

tracilynn

Jerry! Ouch!  Haha.  Weddings are so pricy.

Mitch, stop making us look bad with the longest plank.  4 mins. That's great.

I ran 4.2miles  at 6 am did a 1:20 plankster.  So HOT today, dewpoint is 77. Dead It was already feels like of 95 at 10 am.   So ready for FALL.  Feels like temp is 100.4 right now and its barely 11Dead

YES COLLEGE FOOTBALL, love SEC football.

scotty,  GO BAMA! ROLLLLLLL TIDE ROLL!  Everybody loves to hate on Alabama, cause we're good.  I always hated when one team would dominate for years.  But its nice when its my team!   We can't dominate forever but I sure have liked the past few years.  Gonna cherish it, what goes up must come down.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

GO BIG 12  Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Me too, PAD.  Takes me about a half-mile or so, and then I finally get to 'feeling it' for my run and do better the rest of the way.  Congrats on your 4 miles.  My chosen music is oldies and classic rock n roll.  I don't think I listen to anything beyond the 1980s, lol.

Plank challenge with all 3 grandkids and you did 4 minutes, Mitch?  4  minutes is awesome..especially with 3 grandkids riding you piggy-back.  Wink

Happy SRD, Damaris.  You've had your quota today, back away from the rest of the donuts.   Wink

Sorry about that heat, Jack.  I can relate. At 10 PM last night here, it was still in the 90s!    As for where I work and play, I am at The University of Texas at San Antonio - www.utsa.edu - go RoadRunners!  Our team mascot is Rowdy Roadrunner.  We are a 'stand-alone' university but are one of the 15 universities that falls under the authority of The University of Texas System and are governed by the UT System Regents.  We are the 2nd largest university (population-wise, faculty, staff, and students ) in the UT System.  University of Texas at Austin (Longhorns) is the largest.  Our Fall semester just started and this year it looks like we will have a student population of around 38K - 40K.  Last year, we had 34,000.   So we are growing each year.  Our football team was established in 2011, so this is only our 3rd season. Next year we will be Bowl eligible.  We've come a long way in a short time.  This year we joined Conference USA and start playing some of the "Big Boys", like Oklahoma State, and a couple of our games will even be nationally televised, nice.   I anticipate we are gonna get creamed a lot, lol, but it all goes toward helping us get experience and grow as a team.

As for Saturday, I will probably just go on my own somewhere and run in the early a.m..  No local races Sat or Sun cuz the Whine Run on Monday, followed by the after-party at the Winery, is the big deal on Labor Day weekend for the local running community.  Last year, there were about 2,500 participants, runners and walkers.    There is a 5K in Austin on Saturday, though.  Austin is about an hour's drive from San Antonio.

Happy vacation, Margo!

Hope your work day qoes quick for you, Zelanie, and you have a great holiday.

Cherie, Gail's toe has some kind of 'growth' on it, kinda like a bunyan, but not actually a bunyan, and she has been dealing with it for about 4 months now. No progress in the treatment, so the podiatrist said nothing has worked, so time to cut that puppy off - the growth, not the toe.. Wink  Football widow? You don't like football?  Guess I'm lucky, Gail likes football thankfully, is a fan herself, and we have season tickets for my university's football team games.   Your weather sounds really nice!  Maybe I'll run away from here and come visit you. Joking

Have fun, Jerry!  Although 'payment' does not sound like fun.

Your weather sounds like ours, Traci.   Good luck to both of us with it.  Uggg, Crimson Tide... Tight lips     The ONE time I cheered for those damn Texas Aggies was when they played Alabama last year, at Alabama...and they came through and beat Alabama at home!  Yeah, baby! Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt