Beginners and Beyond

WTF!!!! Calf pains again.... (Read 100 times)

Dad on the run.

I don't understand. Just came in from my planned 5 miles and only ran 1.6 miles before my calf started throbbing like you would not believe. I tried to push through but then decided that was a bad idea so I hobbled back home. My calf has only hurt one other time like this and that was back when I was just a few weeks done with the C25K.

Why is it doing this? It's not like I'm logging that many miles. My max is 20 per week and I rarely ever hit that. It feels like everytime I'm about to start training for something, something starts acting up. I just want to be able to get out there train, increase my miles and do it all injury free. I'm so frustrated right now, if I wasn't a grown ass man I would probably give in to the frustration and just go in a corner and cry... hell, I might do that anyways.

Anyone experienced this and figured out what causes it? How to prevent it? I feel like I do a pretty good job of keeping my legs strong through cross training exercises. I know my form isn't perfect but I don't think its so bad that it would cause injury...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Three words: eccentric calf raises. OK I do not regularly do them but I know that I should, because every time I complain about my calf/achilles problems on these forums, that's what people refer me to.

Dave

happylily

If it only happened one other time before, then I would look at what you did during the week. What were your workouts before tonight? Did you run intervals? Or hills? Could it be something to do with your shoes?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Luke79

Are you stretching your calves immediately before a run?  If not, you should try that.

hog4life

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I had a calf tear once and I pretty sure mine started with worn shoes. While running, it started hurting and I pushed through it. That was a very bad decision! It got way worse and took much longer to heal. Which shoes were you wearing? I researched the minimalist and lower heal drop racing flats, and they tend to put a lot of stress on the calf until you are used to them.

Dad on the run.

I bounce between my New Balance Minimus and Brooks Pure Flow.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Love the Half

I would start from this.  How you land affects how the shock is absorbed.  Those who land toward the heel put the shock on their knees and ankles while those who land more forefoot (almost no one is an honest to goodness midfoot striker - claims to the contrary notwithstanding) put the shock on the calf and Achilles tendon.  If you are wearing minimalist shoes or shoes that are worn out and are a forefoot striker, you'll place even more shock on your calf and Achilles tendon.

Another possibility is some kind of muscles weakness.  Frequently, it's not the muscle that's hurting that is weak but a supporting muscle.  If the supporting muscles is weak then the muscle that's getting hurt is getting hurt because it's having to do double duty so to speak.  Thus, if you are going to do a strengthening routine, it is important to strengthen all of your muscles rather than just the one that's causing a problem.

It can also be simply an individual training limitation.  We all have it.  There is a certain amount beyond which none of us can train without getting hurt.  How much varies greatly by individual.

Last but not least.  I took a look at your log since it's public.   Assuming your log is an accurate reflection of your activity, you posted 0 miles between January 23 and March 24.  That's two months of not running.  Then, on April 3, you posted a run of nearly 90 minutes and on April 17 you posted a run of 2 1/2 hours.  If those figures are accurate, then forget everything I said previously.  You're trying to do way, way, way too much.  Again, if your log is accurate.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

cmb4314

If it only happened one other time before, then I would look at what you did during the week. What were your workouts before tonight? Did you run intervals? Or hills? Could it be something to do with your shoes?

I agree with this - I have found my log invaluable for tracking injuries.

For instance, I always have tight IT bands, but I can keep them pretty happy with stretching, rolling, etc.  Twice, it has actually gotten to the point of real ITBS - looking back at my log, both times it happened, I did a long marathon paced run on the weekend, followed by intervals early in the next week.  The next run after the intervals, I felt like the IT band was injured.  It was really interesting to see the pattern.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Dad on the run.

That log is no where near accurate. Those 2 long runs I forgot to turn off my watch and it kept running. I also ran during those months it said I didn't I just didn't upload to here and when I finally got around to uploading from garmin it would not go that far back. I consistenly average 15-20 miles per week.

I would start from this.  How you land affects how the shock is absorbed.  Those who land toward the heel put the shock on their knees and ankles while those who land more forefoot (almost no one is an honest to goodness midfoot striker - claims to the contrary notwithstanding) put the shock on the calf and Achilles tendon.  If you are wearing minimalist shoes or shoes that are worn out and are a forefoot striker, you'll place even more shock on your calf and Achilles tendon.

Another possibility is some kind of muscles weakness.  Frequently, it's not the muscle that's hurting that is weak but a supporting muscle.  If the supporting muscles is weak then the muscle that's getting hurt is getting hurt because it's having to do double duty so to speak.  Thus, if you are going to do a strengthening routine, it is important to strengthen all of your muscles rather than just the one that's causing a problem.

It can also be simply an individual training limitation.  We all have it.  There is a certain amount beyond which none of us can train without getting hurt.  How much varies greatly by individual.

Last but not least.  I took a look at your log since it's public.   Assuming your log is an accurate reflection of your activity, you posted 0 miles between January 23 and March 24.  That's two months of not running.  Then, on April 3, you posted a run of nearly 90 minutes and on April 17 you posted a run of 2 1/2 hours.  If those figures are accurate, then forget everything I said previously.  You're trying to do way, way, way too much.  Again, if your log is accurate.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

I have been having horrible pain in my calf, just below the widest part of my calf and above what seems to be my Achilles.  I had been training for a HM (March Date) and consistently was running 5-7 miles every other day.  One day in late January I upped my mileage to 9 miles.  I just felt great.  The next day my calf felt like I blew it out.  Next run I was almost crying.  Yes, I know I should have stooped, but I kept thinking it would just go away.  It has not, for months!

I haven't been able to get over 5-6 miles without limping on that leg.  Someone suggested it is a Soleus injury.  I read about it and it could be.  I have not run for a week now.  I can massage it and feel where it hurts.  I have an appt. with an Ortho next week.

BTW, I run a pretty hilly area.

I have been bike riding with no pain, so at least I'm getting some exercise.  The elliptical gives same pain as running.

Hopefully, I'll have some answers soon.  This sucks.

I hope your injury is not as bad.

RSX

I had a bad calf pull 8 years ago and added a calf raise machine at the gym. 2 months ago I added a 2nd calf machine and overdid it. After my long run the other day 1 calf seemed twice as big as the other because of the swelling. I went for ART last night which helped. She suggested a foam roller which I hadnt thought of, plus I'm icing.

Are you stretching your calves immediately before a run?  If not, you should try that.

Most people these days suggest to NOT stretch cold muscles before running. However it may be beneficial to stretch afterwards, or during (stop & stretch after a brief warmup period).

I tend to stretch after a run, (1) standard leaning against the wall calf stretch, (2) same position but slightly bending knee of extended leg, stretching the achilles.

Dave

Dad on the run.

I do this after every run and after every leg workout.

Most people these days suggest to NOT stretch cold muscles before running. However it may be beneficial to stretch afterwards, or during (stop & stretch after a brief warmup period).

I tend to stretch after a run, (1) standard leaning against the wall calf stretch, (2) same position but slightly bending knee of extended leg, stretching the achilles.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

MrNamtor

I would do the  Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation thing if it were me, no running for at 2-3 days then re evaluate

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Perhaps you're just not cut out for minimal shoes? I never have calf issues but when I was running in the Kinvara, my calves were very, very fatigued. So I have up on the minimal trend and I'm much happier in 8-10mm drop shoes.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54