Beginners and Beyond

The Weekend of Z Penguins! (Read 33 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Go Z! Go Z! Go Z!

Go Z! Go Z! Go Z!

"Long distance running is 90% mental and the other half is physical."

-Rich Davis

tracilynn

Z penguins. I like it!  Almost here. Weeee

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning, PAD and Traci and Pengs.

31DP.   5 miles planned this morning.

Hat..check

Gloves..check

turtle neck..check

sweatshirt..check

tights..check

thick socks..check

Docket_Rocket

Go, Z!

Tower of Terror 10 miler with my hubby tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Tower of Terror sounds like almost as much fun as running through Boystown.

PADRunner

5 Miles done. A crisp 49 this morning.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Does anyone have any preferences for foam rolllers?  Plain foam, grid pattern, hard, soft???  My plain old foam roller is getting too soft and crooked.

tracilynn

I have a black foam roller I got from amazon for like $20.

I heard 6" PVC pipe works too and is lots cheaper???

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Thanks for the support, guys!  I will try to give that 140% of mental and physical. Smile  Shakeout run for me today.  2-3 miles, then up to the hotel.

PAD- Sounds like perfect weather!

Traci- Thanks!

Jerry- I have a black plain foam roller and I like it.  At the Blerch race, they had those hard black patterned ones, and those were really good.  I got in a car and drove for 4 hours after running and was fine.  So I might by one of those if I had to replace mine.

D- Have fun!

GinnyinPA

Good luck to all our racers this weekend.  You know we're rooting for you to do well and have fun.

Jerry - it's too early to be that cold.  I'm not ready for winter yet. It's supposed to be another really cold one.  Wasn't the sweatshirt overkill though?  I'm okay in long sleeves down to about 35.  A few degrees below that and I add a vest.  I haven't tried to run below 29, though I'll probably end up doing that this winter, so I need to figure out what to wear.

PAD - that's freezing for Texas.  I bet it felt good though.

Damaris - will you wear a costume?  Tower of Terror sounds like a Halloween themed event.

Z - I'm so excited for you.  Really looking forward to your race report.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jerry, I can't imagine it being that cold already. I had to get my run in early today because we are under a heat advisory.  100+ later today. Sad

Z - you go girl!!

Damaris, sounds like fun, I hope you write a report.

8 miles for me this morning.

From the Internet.

Goooo Zelanie!! Big grin Can't wait to hear how it went!!

Finally managed to get out after dark last night, 3.7 miles with a couple of strategically placed strides (read: along sidewalks that actually had streetlights :P). Was actually pretty nice, the main road in my town has sidewalks that are maintained really well, kind of a boring run during the day but at night having good footing is reassuring. Assuming I can get up to marathon-training mileage next year I can definitely see making a second run in the evening one or two days per week a regular thing.

Helped with setup for tomorrow's race, picked up my number and race swag, bought pasta to make for dinner tonight. Cleaning, laundry, and cooking planned for the rest of the day, I should get some writing done too but I'll wait until the kid's in bed later before I attempt it.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Decided to run over the bridge at 3 miles, so we ended up with 6 @ 10:17.  Glad I bundled up, but I did have to shed the gloves near the end.  Nice with few bikes on the path, but we did stop to chat a few times.

Thanks Traci, and Zel.

Ginny, You are right, I did wear a short sleeve tshirt over the mock turtle neck.

Hi Brilliant and Lauren.

Zelanie

Lauren, I have to say that I am so happy to see how your training has been going lately. Go get em tomorrow!

From the Internet.

Lauren, I have to say that I am so happy to see how your training has been going lately. Go get em tomorrow!

Aww thanks Smile I will!!