Beginners and Beyond

Frickin Friday Penguins (Read 25 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

An 18 hour day only to find a flat when I'm finally leaving!

I'm taking a RD!

on my way to badass

Happy Friday Penguins! PAD- If I was you I'd get in bed, pull the covers up and stay there for at least 10 hours (probably more). Hope it gets better. AFM- 30 minute tempo run today.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 6 miles.

PAD, ugh at the flat.

Stone, enjoy the tempo run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning, everyone!  I have 6 easy today, and this afternoon I will head to the expo for my HM.  The two weeks following the race will probably be low in miles because of travel, so I really want to make sure I get my full miles in this week so that I don't totally throw my marathon plan out the window.

PAD- Ugh!  Hope your day today is a much better one!

SF- Good luck on the tempo run!

D- Enjoy the short run. Smile

tracilynn

Zel, I'm enjoying your travel pics. Have fun at the expo.

Pad, that sucks. TGIF THOUGH, right?!

stone, tempo run fun

damaris, I've always wanted to ask you how your name is pronounced and if I'm pronouncing it correctly in my head.

I woke early and did 3 miles on trails.   TGIF

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

OK, so the weather didn't quite work out as planned yesterday after work. Our "cool front' that came in during the morning hours must've been named Elvis because by afternoon it had left the building. I did 3.2 miles of trail running on paved and off-road trails in my favorite local park.  After I was done, I did check the weather and found I had been running in 96 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of 101, sheesh.  Even so, it didn't feel all that bad, since the humidity was only at 52% and the dew-point was kind and stayed at 68.  Me and a couple of other runners - crazy like me too, I guess, for being out there - cooled down in one of the park pavilions and watched a raccoon scavenging in one of the park trash cans. Rocky Raccoon had it down to an art too....he had his back legs spread out, gripping the top of the can so he wouldn't fall in it and then stretched the rest of his body way down inside it to reach the bottom.  I guess he knew we were watching because he would 'pop' back up to give us the eye to make sure we weren't coming near him, then would pop back down.  His popup antics reminded me of that gopher game you play in arcades, lol, trying to hit them with a hammer.   He was very entertaining while we cooled down.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Hey Scotty, LOL @ the Elvis reference. Raccoons are evil.  good thing you watched him from a distance. they look all cute and furry but they will EFF you up. Ha

~~~~~~~

Traci

obiebyke

Good morning!

PAD, ew. Did you change it yourself?

SF, sweet on the speedwork!

D, enjoy your workouts.

Z, I want to hear what the expo is like down there. Fun!

Traci, way to tough it out on the dreadmill.

Scotty, raccoons freak me out.

AFM, it's pouring outside and I'd much rather be back asleep. One of my cats has wild man syndrome or something. Cry/scratch/cry/scratch = not good sleep for me. RD, thank goodness. I'm feeling sluggish post HM.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Zel, I'm enjoying your travel pics. Have fun at the expo.

Pad, that sucks. TGIF THOUGH, right?!

stone, tempo run fun

damaris, I've always wanted to ask you how your name is pronounced and if I'm pronouncing it correctly in my head.

I woke early and did 3 miles on trails.   TGIF

Too bad I cannot post a video of how to pronounce it here.  The closest I can think of is:

d AE m - er - uh s

The accent is in the "er" and the Da sounds closer to an DO, not like an DE like a lot of people do.  It's like the a in apple.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Too bad I cannot post a video of how to pronounce it here.  The closest I can think of is:

d AE m - er - uh s

The accent is in the "er" and the Da sounds closer to an DO, not like an DE like a lot of people do.  It's like the a in apple.

Or, for short,  we could just call you.....

Bin Running

Did 3M after sending DS to kindergarten. 4.5M w/ 3@tempo after work. Feeling a little drained now but happy.

Was thinking abt it the other day that I might have LR phobia now. Can't seem to put my mind out to run anything more than 10M. Haven't had a LR in a while. Probably need a kick. Ha

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sorry about the flat and 18 hr day, PAD.  Enjoy the RD.

Have a nice run SF.

Have fun with Pilates d AE m er uh s.  Better have another FE to work on this.

Good luck finding the expo, Z.

Nice 3 Traci. Shins okay I hope.

Gail back yet, Scotty?

Have a good RD, Obie.

We got out "early" and ran a slow 8 on the bike path.  Uneventful run (no racoons, just a lot of bikes).  Last half mile, DW announces that poo monster was chasing.  I asked since when, she says since mile 1.     Then she left me in the dust.  Cooling off now and icing the knees sitting on the deck.  Looks like a perfect day for an al fresco lunch at one of our favorite dive bars.

Have a great weekend...

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Bin.  Have the kiddies give you a kick.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about the flat and 18 hr day, PAD.  Enjoy the RD.

Have a nice run SF.

Have fun with Pilates d AE m er uh s.  Better have another FE to work on this.

Good luck finding the expo, Z.

Nice 3 Traci. Shins okay I hope.

Gail back yet, Scotty?

Have a good RD, Obie.

We got out "early" and ran a slow 8 on the bike path.  Uneventful run (no racoons, just a lot of bikes).  Last half mile, DW announces that poo monster was chasing.  I asked since when, she says since mile 1.     Then she left me in the dust.  Cooling off now and icing the knees sitting on the deck.  Looks like a perfect day for an al fresco lunch at one of our favorite dive bars.

Have a great weekend...

She gets back tonite, thank goodness.  I think her Kitty is in shock because apparently my lap is not as comfortable as Gail's.     Pooh monster on the bike path?  Aren't there any trees/woods around the bike path?   Or...if you just happen to be near Lake Michigan....

Yay for being able to run again, Traci!  Hope the shins keep behaving for you!

Dang, Bin...10 miles is a VERY long run for some of us, lol.  OK, me.   Especially considering my 'long run' of the week these days is a measly 4 miles.  Stupid arthritis.

Hope your tempo run goes well, StoneFence!

lol at your cat, obiebyke.  One of my cats insists on doing that too...unfortunately right at 3 in the morning!  She comes up my side of the bed and then does that every morning right in my face until I wake up and pat her for a while, and then she walks away and goes to sleep.  Silly damn cat.