Beginners and Beyond

Running by the Highway (Read 80 times)

Sloooow.

Anyone do it? I live on a country road between two highways. I can make a 4.2 mile, or 6.2 mile loop different ways, but both involve 0.9 or 1.2 miles along a 55mph highway. I did an out and back with the 4.2 mile loop last week, but it was spur of the moment.

My alternative is out 1.2 mile to the highway and back again ad nauseum.

Docket_Rocket

When you say highway, do you mean the shoulder of the highway or a path by the highway?  Fortunately, my slice of the turnpike has a path so I don't have to worry about the cars to boot.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

The shoulder of the highway. Mainly inhabited by a zoo of roadkill. My slow as a snail pace was a minute a mile faster along the highway, but it still takes me 13+ minutes. It's nice to have loop options instead of out and backs, but I don't know if it's worth the risk.

Docket_Rocket

If it was a big road instead of the highway, it wouldn't br that bad bit this sounds scary.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

Added a Google Maps screenshot. I live in the country, still not safe to run, lol.

LRB

I have seen people doing it but I would not run on that shoulder for a millions dollars!  But, I would not make any judgements against those who had to.

I have said this a dozen times but I do not trust drivers.  Every so often I will have to run on a shoulder for 10 or 20 feet and even doing that scares the piss outta me, there is no way I could do it for a mile!

Looking at the photo, I would actually run in the brush.

Docket_Rocket

Added a Google Maps screenshot. I live in the country, still not safe to run, lol.

It is small enough and not what I expected (I thoughtit would be multi lane). Still, at 55mph, it is dangerous.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Still, I see grass you can jump to.  I've had to do that more often than not, I cannot imagine with cars going that fast.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

Plus side, it's a straight stretch and I'd be very visible. The sides of the road are drainage ditches. I'd only be running that way on my weekend long run, so it shouldn't be as busy with people commuting.

The 0.9 miles on Saturday, it was also chucking it down and no-one misbehaved. Just one truck honked as he passed.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

None of those by me.  Looks like a nice wide, paved shoulder.  You do face the traffic, yes?

Sloooow.

None of those by me.  Looks like a nice wide, paved shoulder.  You do face the traffic, yes?

Yes sir! For each different loop, I come out on the side facing traffic so I don't even have to cross. I think I will give the 6.2 mile loop a go in the morning. I'm waiting for the other half to get home so I can drive the route first though.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I did a 3 mile stretch from a county road to a local town during my first 20 miler. I thought what a better way to debut with a 20 than run to another town? I did run against traffic on the shoulder, at 6:30 AM. It wasn't overly busy, but all of the vehicles were semi's. Fortunately almost all of them got in to the other lane when they saw me.

I probably won't do something like that again unless the circumstances were different. It just seems like an unnecessary risk. Maybe I can take a different route if I ever want to run to that town again. I did take a different way home.

- Andrew

GinnyinPA

Actually, that doesn't look that bad.  we have a similar highway 1/2 mile from our house, except that ours is very hilly.   I have run on it for short distances, in and out of a few neighborhoods.  Yours has a good bike lane and grass to run on if absolutely necessary, and as you said, visibility is good.  For one mile, I would do it.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I guess it has advantages over city streets where you have to stop for a light at almost every corner.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Birdwell

I run on stuff like that all the time. Stay close to the grass, wear bright colors. It'll be fine.