Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: C.O.P.S 5K and 12K (Read 18 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

• My 46th race of 2014.  Held August 16, 2014 at Ladybird Johnson Park in San Antonio
    • Race supported:  C.O.P.S. (Concerns Of Police Survivors) - surviving family members of fallen police officers; this race supported the fund that helps those families.
    • 12K event and 5K event.  I did the 5K
    • About 150  or so participants.
    • Weather:  Humid!  Temp in upper 70s, same for the dew-point, and humidity in the low 90 percentile.
    • I finished in 35-something, good enough for 1st in my age group (60-64) as, lol, there were only 2 in my age group.

BEFORE THE START

Ladybird Johnson Park is only about 2 miles driving from my house, so I got to sleep in a bit extra.  Then it was off to the park, got my timing chip, and started taking some photos.

My friend and the Race Director John Purnell, who is a member (as am I) of veteran's organization Team Red White & Blue (RWB), San Antonio chapter.

There were also various vendors at the race

Scentsy (flameless aromatic warmers) Consultants;  my wife is also a Scentsy Consultant.

Jewelry, etc., including a charm that had the emblem of a police badge on it.

Chef and his helper, who were preparing some great-tasting sausages while we participants were out running.

Our MC, with I Speak For You radio, who does a great job at a lot of our local events

Officer who did the pipe playing for our pre-start ceremonies

Pre-start participants, etc

Still a little dark inside the pavilion where we got our timing chips

That's better... I ended up doing most of the course in the proximity of these "Great Legs" ladies and my new 4-legged friend, Rusty

Flowers in memoriam of fallen officers...their names were read out loud for the opening ceremonies...

National anthem was sung...

...then a prayer, written by this officer, was given....

...and "Amazing Grace" was played - which gets to me every time, makes me think of lost military companions -

...and then we lined up to go....

ON THE COURSE

12K folks started first, with we 5K folks starting 5 minutes behind them.  Course was out-and-back on trails (mostly cement) in the park.   The course was 'open' so there were non-race cyclists, walkers, and runners out there too.  I don't know about the other folks not around me, but most of the cyclists where I was during my time on the course were pretty polite about giving an "approach" warning.

At the top of this small incline was the turn-around point for the 5K folks

Then it was back the way we came, going once more through this underpass that was a road-bridge above for local highway Loop 410.

Shadows and silhouettes in the overpass

When you're as slow as I am, sometimes you're all alone on the trail..

Rusty and his two lovely ladies caught up to me and kept me company for a few minutes...

Then it was nonstop running back to the finish.   I got some cold water, walked around a bit drinking my water and then got some after-the-finish photos.

AFTER THE FINISH

A  couple of the photos are a bit 'cloudy" - I forgot a couple times to wipe the sweat spots off my lens

This lady was first 12K woman finisher.  Liza is a well-known local runner.  She is originally from New Zealand and is participated in the Olympics with that country's Olympics running team.

These were some of the 'cheerleaders' at the finish line.  They lined up on either side of the finish line area and cheered every runner in, right to the very last person finishing.

I found the beer...

Shy young man but he did lift his head a bit for the next photo

Air Force; Air Force; and the guy in orange ROF (Retired Old Fart ) Air Force; the very nice lady next to me is the local president of COPS and her late husband is a fallen officer,  I met her and her son - who is also in the Air Force - a couple of years ago at a local race.  Two of the nicest people you could ever meet.

A fellow survivor - and wow, do we represent the extremes that cancer can have!  Mine was caught SO fast and so early that I actually had a pretty easy time of it, while my fellow survivor here had a helluva battle.  Thankfully, we both beat it and are still here.  Never give up!

Two happy medal recipients. So I now have another medal to donate to the cancer kids at San Antonio Children's Hospital, which is what I do with any race medal I may inadvertently get - - I'm slow, so my strategy is to outlive the competition. 

My lovely friend, Sherry, placed in the 12K.  She is RD John's daughter.  One of nature's mysteries, how such a lovely lady came from an

old Heinz-57 mutt like John....she MUST have her mother's looks... 

EPILOG

Very nice event. with a nice course, nice post-race goodies, lots of good folks participating.   And the most important aspect of this event:  remembrance and honor.    I try to do this one each year to honor and respect;  to honor my fellow "uniformed" brothers-and-sisters not with us any more, those who made the ultimate sacrifice; and in respect for their surviving family members and the loss they've suffered.  No matter what type of service they were in....military, firefighters, police, etc....each service has its risks and those who serve and who have served, as well as their families,  know what it's like to lose a comrade and/or a loved one in the line of duty.  We should never forget.

Much kudos to all the vendors, volunteers, sponsors, officers, etc., who were all out there for us today, keeping us safe, giving us water, post-race goodies, helping everything go smoothly.  And our MC did a heckuva job, keeping everyone entertained.  And, of course, thanks to all the ladies who were in front of my slow self as 'chasing' their 'Great Legs' helped me keep moving forward... slowly, of course, but still forward!

Next up for me:  Dragon Run 2-Miler on August 17, 2014.   There is also a half-marathon but I figure just doing the 2-miler will get me to the beer sooner. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Nice pics, Scotty.  Ketchup on sausages?

B-Plus

Great pics Scotty! That upcoming 2-miler will be like a sprint for you.