Beginners and Beyond

Oh Canada Tuesday Penguins (Read 27 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

RD for me today.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning PAD.  Short run after work for me and DW, then we are watyching the game.  Btw, I tried to start the thread and couldn't get the penguin to copy.

Go USA  !!!

obiebyke

Morning PAD and Jerry.

I so did not run as planned yesterday. I hit an overtired introvert wall and slept, ate ice cream, and watched TV. It was necessary. Planning to do that 30 minute run today.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

GOOOOOOD MORNING PENGUINS! 

NICE run for me this morning!  Up at 5 a.m., at the park by 6 a.m - which conveniently has a YMCA located right by it so I can shower and change for work after my run - and the weather this morning was sweeeeet!   69 degrees, humidity only around 68%, dewpoint about 63.  I did a mix of paved roads and park trails. I saw lots of deer, including a fawn I came face-to-face with as I rounded a bend in the trail.  The fawn was only about 3 feet in front of me.  I stopped and stood stock-still - cuz I could see Mama Deer in the brush at the side keeping an eye on the little one, and watching me too,  and didn't want her to think I was trying to harm her baby - and Fawn just stood there looking at me, nose up, sniffing, as if trying to figure out what the heck I was.  A nice little moment for both of us, very cool, I was almost close enough to reach out and touch Fawn....but I didn't cuz, you know, not a good way to start the morning by getting jumped on by Mama Deer.   Then I guess Mama made some kind of signal or other cuz Fawn bounded over to Mama and then they were off into the brush.

Finished my run by going on some back-trails that led back to the YMCA.  Ended up with a very pleasant 3.2 miles.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

4.6 miles done before work.  I should make it home in time to see most of the game.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Enjoy the RD, PAD!

Happy miles to you and DW, Jerry. And Go USA!

Hey, obiebyke, sometimes we all need a day like that!  Good luck with the 30 minutes today.

Congrats on getting your miles in early, Philly!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8-10 miles tonight.  took an SRD yesterday.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning!

Scotty, nice weather for your run.

Obie, I understand the overtired introvert wall.  I hope you get a good run in today.

As for me, another rest day. Sad  I started running 3 years ago and have been mostly "just a housewife" during that time. Not to disparage housewives, but since my kids are grown, I had total flexibility in my schedule!  Now I'm gone from home 8 hours a day with volunteer work and school and just can't seem to fit a run in most days.   (in my defense, I still have to meet all the housewife expectations, taking hubby's clothes to cleaners, getting the pulled pork into the slow cooker this morning, etc.)  I don't know how you full-time job folks do it.  Maybe it's just an adjustment and I will figure it out soon.

Docket_Rocket

We have a tropical storm almost on top of us which will make running nice.  Nothing beats going from 97F and humid to 77F and rainy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Just over a mile done at 5:20 this AM.  The walking is not a problem, but the sleep deprivation may get me!  I figure if we hit the road M-W mornings and Saturday mornings, that will work best.  Thursday morning comes after a late Wednesday night, and Friday morning comes after a late Thursday night.  Sunday we don't catch a break because we're up at 6AM for church.  So unless running 3x in a row becomes a problem for DH, I think this schedule will work for us.  Which means I have to get up early again tomorrow!!

PAD -- have a good RD!!

Jerryb -- enjoy the run and the game!!

obie -- absolutely it was necessary!!  Down days are good things all the way around!!

scotty -- what a nice deer story!!  And it ended without you on your butt in the dirt!!

Phillie -- woo-hoo for your morning miles!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

8 miles with 8x800 done. My streak is at 32 days and the funny thing is, I don't even think of it as a streak. Most of my runs are done at an easy pace so there is not too much abuse going on. Today's run was tough, but tomorrow will be at recovery pace so no worries. Shower and World Cup time.

PAD: How was the 5k?

Jerry: I will also be watching the game with some Lagunitas.

Obie: "It was necessary." LOL. I know the feeling.

Scotty: Sorry to hear about your friend. Those little brushes with nature are fun. Once, we were hiking in Glacier National Park, came around a blind turn and came face to face with a mama brown bear and two cubs. Yes, I was scared.

PF: Good job on the miles before work. I need to start doing that one of these days.

D: I can't believe you don't take more rest days with that heat you have. I suppose that's what TMs are for.

Brilliant: You will find the balance. Just do what works best for you. I think most of us are morning runners, or at least try to be.

HsM: Nothing wrong with getting up early!

Singer who runs a smidge

Docket -- good morning!!

Brilliant -- yeah, fitting everything in is really tough.  I have over an hour commute for my job, so I have about 2.5 hours at home at night, except for Wednesday and Thursday nights where I have no time at home at all.  I think you squish running in wherever it fits!!

Jack -- howdy!!  Bears, ick!  Don't know what I would do in that situation ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

World Cup in 15 mins.. Managed to do a 2.5M in AM and just finished with 6M easy. Big grin

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jack, Lagunitas is now being brewed in Chicago.  It's supposed to be a fantastic facility.  You'll have to check it out when you run THE Chicago Marathon.