Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES : I Finally Got My Long Awaited Raise At Work, And... (Read 96 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

12.1 miles at 9:02 pace (although I wonder if my Garmin was getting glitchy, that route is usually closer to 12.4).

Echoing some of the others' comments about the ridiculousness of the cold. When my wife commented this morning about how cold it was, I said "I guess it's going to be a chilly run today". She just looked at me and said "You are a dumbass".

Turns out she is right (as usual). Waited till 11:00 when it had warmed up to 18 degF, but with a lovely 27mph breeze making the wind chill -1 degF. Added some extra layers, including double compression shorts to, ahem, protect my business interests. Of course none of that helps the freezing eyeballs effect when running into the wind. And I suppose it was really pretty manageable most of the time (I see plenty of postings by people running in a whole lot worse), but started to feel very cold the last 1-2 miles. I assume it was the chilling effect of the wet base layers; at some point all the wicking in the world is not going to help you.

Thought I would make a goal to join the "more miles than degrees" club at some point this winter, but maybe a stupid idea. I'm sure I will try it anyway.

The windproof briefs on this page are an absolute winter running must in my book: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/search/search-celebros.jsp?Query=windproof

ETA there's a ladies version on the last page.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

@runjerseygirl

Well, well, well, lookie here.  Had you ran 6 miles, you would have finished with a near 7:00 last mile.  Big grin

And then promptly fallen flat on my face, LOL!

Do you even run?

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

And then promptly fallen flat on my face, LOL!

Just wanted to say that the new kicks look pretty sweet. Those look like a lot more nimble update to the Ghosts too - bet you'll love them. Sorry running seems to be such a contentious issue in your house...bums me out. Glad you've found some other support though.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Easy recovery run today. Not looking forward to this week as temps are forecast to plummet into the 20s for highs. It was 53F when I finished my run today.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Zelanie

Well I went in intending to buy the Ghosts but ended up really liking the feel of the Saucony Triumph 10.  Not a fan of the price, but decided to give them a try.

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

5 miles at the lake with my sister that I don't get to see very often. Today is a good day.

Don't believe everything you think. 

Heidi, rkymtnanna, SIAR, c0derunner, DaveP MI, wcrunner2, Nightcrawler, great runs.

AI, nice job cross-training with the housecleaning.

Zelanie, enjoy the Triumph 10s and wear them in good health.

Chest, shoulders, back, triceps, biceps, calves, shins, and push-ups are done. I have to return to the gym later to do legs.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Heidi, rkymtnanna, SIAR, c0derunner, DaveP MI, wcrunner2, Nightcrawler, great runs.

AI, nice job cross-training with the housecleaning.

Zelanie, enjoy the Triumph 10s and wear them in good health.

Chest, shoulders, back, triceps, biceps, calves, shins, and push-ups are done. I have to return to the gym later to do legs.

Wow, you're a workout beast! I could never keep up with all that. I'm terrible in the gym and really kinda weak.

Zelanie...I had those on and loved the cushioned feel. I may try the 9s online since they're cheaper.

Chairman

The windproof briefs on this page are an absolute winter running must in my book: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/search/search-celebros.jsp?Query=windproof

ETA there's a ladies version on the last page.

+1

Although I often get by with little split shorts under my tights and other shorts over my tights.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Chairman

easy 9 in 1:08 for me

Ankle was good for about 7 of them. Some tenderness for final 2.

Chairman

Thanks!  They felt amazing this morning.  Hopefully they continue to feel this good.

Congrats on (hopefully) putting your first running injury behind you

hog4life

Kay, my wife has those same shoes, I like that color.

Beth, that trip to Ireland sounds wonderful!

April, I will be glad when my wife accepts my insanity!

Rick, now that is a name that I haven't heard in years. My parents used to take us to Stoney Creek when we were very young and still lived up there.

I did an easy 6.56 after church today. I ended up with a couple of little walk breaks. I don't think my lungs are ready for hard breathing yet.

@runjerseygirl

SIAR, it's not just running.  It seems to be everything these days.  I'm working on a solution.

scrape. thanks.  I'm hoping this is the end of it.  I've been thinking about you and your ankle, and I hope you get it worked out soon.  We're the same age, and we are young (wild and free?), so I hope you're wrong about your best running days being behind you.

Hog, I hope she loves them as much as I love mine.  One run and I'm smitten.  Let's hope the love lasts, LOL!

Update on me today.  I've been rolling my foot over a rolling pin to keep everything loose.  I am also a little sore in my IT band, although nothing serious.  I've been stretching it and rolling it as well.  It feels better this evening than it did this afternoon.  Hopefully it will feel good in the morning.

Do you even run?

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Had a 12 mile long run yesterday.  The weather was beautiful, in the fifties!  Felt pretty good until the last quarter mile.

Today I did a 3.25 recovery run, really slow.

Okay, now back to work.  This is a three-day "weekend."

LRB

Rick, now that is a name that I haven't heard in years. My parents used to take us to Stoney Creek when we were very young and still lived up there.

I had not been there since third grade!

They have made into a runners haven with a six mile marked loop with rolling hills that depending on which direction you run, can burn the quads quite nicely.

There's also a warming shed and the bathrooms are open/maintained year 'round.

You probably cannot tell from this shot but both flags looked as if they were being pulled by an airplane!

I took about ten steps and was ready to turn around!