Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Are Running It Old School! (Read 30 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Yesterday I went for an easy 5.25 miles. Let me tell you something - I was running it old school! At least that's how I pictured it. I don't listen to music but today I brought my phone in case my wife needed me in a hurry. So I was listening to music from youtube thru the speakers. Here's the old school part - the songs were recorded live in 1977. I pictured life 36 years ago. If I were running I would have a transistor radio instead of an iPhone, knee high tube socks instead tech socks, gym shorts and cotton underwear instead of tech shorts with a liner, and a cotton t-shirt instead of a short sleeved tech-tee. Oh yeah - and can't forget about shoes - I might have had Keds on instead of running shoes with 8mm drop and slight over pronation control!

Hope everyone has a far out, groovy, kind of old school day!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, that's old shoes.. heee maybe someone will be jogging ala Rocky style too..

3 recovery miles for me done.. Weather is unbearably hot for yday and today.. Aircon at night is a necessity here..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

I want a do over for last week!  Sick, busy, Mother's Day, perfect storm for a low mileage week.  Yeah, I know, a bunch of excuses.  Oh well, back on track this week with a nice 10.6 miles this morning. Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

hog4life

Gustav, haha, back in them days, I might have had on the ole high top Converse.

Bin, getting hot here too.

Dave, if we get do overs, I don't want to work night shift.

I'm heading to an off-site all day training class for work, then will run with the beginners NOBO class this evening. I hope to get 7-8 miles total. Yesterday while running I found a cell phone lying on the street, when I was finishing the run, the phone started ringing. After a brief conversation, I returned it to the rightful owner and he gave me a $20 finders fee.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  9 miles on the schedule for today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Good morning friends

I heard a lil old school rap this am on the pandora radio while I was running 7.4 miles. Felt good most of the time. I think I am retiring a pair of shoes as I felt a lil funny in my knees this am. Its a good thing I have shoes waiting and I get more use out of these pair of Brooks beasts than I planned Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

One Half So Far

Mornin, amigos.

Did 8.5 yesterday, 3 of which were at sub 8:45 (on purpose), so I guess it was a long tempo run.  Was planning on doing a 4th tempo mile but didn't have the legs for it.  Next time, maybe.  RD for me today; have to work around a Thurs/Sat track meet this week.

Hope everyone is healthy and happy.

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

Zelanie

Morning!  Today is the last day before I start to get some answers about my knee!  I hope.  This weekend, I did a bunch of gardening.  I'm happy with what I got done, but would rather have been running.

Gustav- How long were you off running when you were out?  I was just thinking how well things are going for you now!  It gives me some hope.

Bin- Nice job taking those miles at recovery pace when you need to.

Dave- This is the start of a new week!  Hope you're feeling better.

Mitch- Enjoy the NOBO class!

D- Hope Mr. Rocket is feeling better today!

T-rod- Running again, hooray!

Jeff- Those are some speedy miles!

Morning!  Today is the last day before I start to get some answers about my knee!  I hope.  This weekend, I did a bunch of gardening.  I'm happy with what I got done, but would rather have been running.

T-rod- Running again, hooray!

what do you grow in your garden? I tried a vegetable garden last year that was a bust.

Running is more fun than walking Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning....SRD!

have an awesome day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

what do you grom in your garden? I tried a vegetable garden last year that was a bust.

Running is more fun than walking Smile

Walking- Twice the time and half the fun.  Boo!

I am actually not much of a gardener.  This year I have lettuce, radishes, carrots, and peas.  The peas are a bust but we just had our first salad with garden lettuce and radishes.  I planted tomatoes this weekend and two more blueberry bushes.  The puppy ate the last blueberries we had, so hopefully these do better.  I also got some flowers in.

I'd like to get another raised bed for more veggies and plant some raspberries.  But the soil where I want to plant the berries is mostly clay, so it will be a PITA to get that done.

Philliefan33

hey everyone -- quick fly-by here.

I have a feeling this might be a tough week to fit in my runs.  A lot going on at work, a dental appt., mulch being delivered today, old-lady quilting class on Thursday, and a tiling project for next weekend.  And I really dshould plant my vegetable garden and get the flowers in the pots for the deck and patio.  Maybe I will just sleep less.

~ 5 miles with intervals planned for tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  DH and I bailed on our long walk last week, so we're going to repeat week 4 this week.  I was thinking our walking last week was sort of pitiful, but we only skipped the one, and then had another cut short by rain.  So we still got out 3 times last week, so I should congratulate us!  Anyway, W4D1 tonight, and I think a swim is in order today.  Since graduation was Saturday, the gym should be fairly deserted.

Gustav -- Let's seen in 1977 I would've been 5.  I was probably running barefoot, instead of minimalist, like today!  

Bin -- sorry it's so hot!!

D2 -- no do-overs, but you can always come back strong!!

hog -- nice job returning the phone!!  Have a good run tonight!!

Docket -- good luck with your 9!!

T-rod -- have fun with the new shoes!!

JDrumm -- woo-hoo for your long tempo!!

Zelanie -- can't wait to hear what they say about your knee!!

kristin -- have a good SRD!!

Phillie -- hope you get everything in!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Gus: I bet the tube socks had three stripes around them. Instead of Keds, possibly Vans.

Bin: That sounds miserable. Here it is close to 100 today, but much cooler tomorrow.

D2: Welcome back and that is a nice 10.

Hog: Nice windfall!

Docket: Enjoy the nine.

T-Rod- Well done on the old school rap. "Hip Hop Hooray?"

J.Drumm: Of course it was a tempo run! You have a lot of races coming up. Fun!

Zel: I hope you finally get some answers about the knee. That is frustrating...

PF: Mulch = work

HsM: Enjoy the swim/walk.

As for me, it is a SRD. My mpw is back up to 35 and I hope to up it a bit more before I get into my next training phase, which could be for a marathon in November or December. I bought a pair of Kinvara 3 yesterday on Running Warehouse. They were on clearance for $60 so I hope they work out for me. I do like their return policy so I they are the wrong size or whatever I can send them right back. Have a good day.