Beginners and Beyond

Gaining weight because you are hurt contest. (Read 287 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I can't cross train either, Lexi.  Ugh.  It's frustrating.  I have been very diligent about watching what I have been eating.

Running is dumb.

runfoolery

I would have a hard time if I weren't able to do cardio. I've never been good at controlling my food intake, so running is a godsend because I am now burning enough calories that with just a little attention to diet, I can still lose weight, albeit slowly... Without the extra burn, I'd be adding pounds. :/

LRB

I would have a hard time if I weren't able to do cardio.

Trust me it sucks. 

I have been lifting weights this week however, which burns calories and uses fat in an entirely different way.

It is not running but it is something.

I was out for most of the summer due to what I believe was tendinitis in the ankle which then caused problems in the hip/hamstring/glute area.  I gained about 15 lbs while out.  Lesson learned, as Waterwench said - I was not diligent enough about watching my intake and I was not good about maintaining some other form of cardio i.e. biking.   

Now that I can run again, it is taking a bit more work to get back to where I was because I'm battling the weight, as well.  Ugh.....

You can call me Anna

toyger

I've been out for 2 weeks and it feels like a century. I've gained a little, mostly from the holidays. I am cross training--swimming, strength, and cycling.

Jen

My tendons hate me.

I stink at portion control too. My diet starts on Monday though. For real this time. And I'm going to do a 30-day for $30 thing at a gym so I can at least hang out with people that are working out.  

Mandy, you have a blog?  Gotta add it to the reader. 

5K - 23:25 (10/11)

10K - 46:45 (6/12)

HM - 1:46:55 (5/12)

Marathon - 4:18:55 (Philly 11/12 in crippling pain) 

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I am going to start lifting. But I  trying to rest the knee so no biking and very little walking. I hope to be back running in a few weeks.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

RunnyRunRun

Ten pounds of calories not otherwise burned.

Nevrgivup

I weighed myself today and I'm at the same weight than I was before my injury. Its been almost 6 weeks of no running. My clothes fit the same and I actually have to make myself eat throughout the day. My appetite is so different now that I'm not running. Guess I'm lucky, though I'm sure my muscles are just wasting away. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

runfoolery

If your muscles were wasting away and you had the same weight, I'd guess your clothes would be noticeably tighter, unless you don't wear clothes that are tight enough. Tongue

Hip Redux

I eat the same amount when exercising or not.  In fact, I probably eat more just out of boredom.

MrNamtor

I've gained 8 lbs since the middle of October.  I think it's due to me running about 5 mpw less than usual, traveling (been to LA, SF, and NYC this month although i didn't gain weight in NYC), and eating bread bowl soups for lunch instead of my usual grilled chicken salad.

DW said she likes me a little softer (not in that way), but I'm not thrilled about it.

MrNamtor

I stink at portion control too.

I feel everyone's pain on this. I am a total pig, i will clear any plate that's in front of me (and then be like "uh, you gonna eat that?").

My strategy for weight control is to not eat crap. No fried foods, no sweets, no pasta or potatoes, no cheesy or breaded stuff, drink nothing but water, some skim milk and an occasional diet coke.. So i pig out on fruit veggies chicken and nuts.

Still possible to gain weight that way (as I have), but it makes it a lot harder to really balloon out.