Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins....who is off tomorrow for Veteran's Day!? (Read 21 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm off tomorrow! While I would have preferred a 3 day weekend, Monday is much easier knowing Tuesday is off!

Didn't check in this weekend....was at my boyfriend's in Maryland and posting on my phone is annoying. But I had a great weekend of running. This weekend in MD it was sunny and in the high 40s and up into the 50s, beautiful fall running weather. I ran with his dog on Saturday, and Sunday I capped off my highest mileage week of the year with a hilly 12 mile run for 28.9 miles for the week (couldn't have found an extra .1 somewhere though?!) And despite being my highest mileage week of the year my legs feel great. When I set out for my 12 miler yesterday, I wanted anything between 10 and 12 and would decide depending on how I felt, and my body was good for 12. It was my last long run before the Philadelphia Half, which is my goal half this fall.

Today, though, is a SRD.

Have a great Monday everyone!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I will be off tomorrow.  For some reason Veteran's Day is not a State holiday in Texas, so it is up to each state agency if they will close or not.  Since I work for a public university, by Legislative Law, we have to be open so many days a year, and the majority of employees prefer to get days off over the Christmas and New Year's holiday period (we pretty much shut down for 2 weeks at that time) so that means the school is open on Veteran's Day.  But me and my military retired buddies here usually just take a day of leave for the day and go be with our fellow veterans for ceremonies, etc.  Tomorrow I will be doing the San Antonio Veteran's Day 5K at 3 PM.

Did a really nice inaugural 5K on Saturday.  Very hilly course!  Report and photos:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/ac19f90d09dc4a9e856ef4c5cf4a95b4#focus

On Sunday I figured I would go down to the San Antonio Riverwalk and do a nice easy run/walk of about 3 miles to let my legs recover from the hills on Saturday.   What a beautiful day in San Antonio for a run/walk!  I started at 8:30 am.    58 degrees, 'abundant' sunshine, dew-point 48, humidity 41 percent.   I felt so good and it was so nice out there I just kept going for a while.  I ended up with a run/walk of 60 minutes flat,  5.3 miles for me, longest I've done in a few months.   The weather was so nice that I had lots of company too.  Several runners, walker, and cyclists out there with me.  I also met:

• an elderly lady - well, not THAT elderly, , she is 72, so not that much older than me at 60, lol - -  walking her dog, so I stopped to give the dog a treat.  Seeing the shirt I was wearing, the lady told me the dog  had cancer too.  Awwww.   Caught pretty fast and currently being treated and his prognosis is good.   Such a sweet dog.  He sat for me on command, gently took a treat from my hand, and then gave me a big ole doggie-kiss, lol.  Hope I see them again sometime when I go back to the Riverwalk
        • Two geese standing on top of a post at a house, 'honking' like crazy.  I stopped to look at them and they were back-to-back on top of this post, almost looking like they were 'sculpted' up there.  The house-owner was out in his yard and he told me sometimes on Sundays, when that part of the riverwalk is quite active in the morning with runners, walkers, etc. they get up there and 'honk' at everyone who passes by, like they are trying to give a warning, lol.  They were very funny.
        • Another runner flying by me, one of his shoes untied.  I shouted out to him his lace was undone, but he had earbuds in both ears and didn't hear me.  Sure enough, about a few minutes later, his foot "caught" one of the laces, and he did a little 'mis-step" and went off right, into the grass for a few feet - luckily catching himself before he fell, because if he had fallen, h would've rolled right down the short bank there and smack into the river.   Which,  I can tell you from my own personal splash-down experience, it is not fun falling into the mucky water of this river!

I really need to carry my camera with me on these Riverwalk runs, you just never know what you are going to see!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning!

Working Monday, off Tuesday for me as well.  I should have planned a little better and just take Monday off too.  Oh well, it is quiet around here since most everyone else in our office took off.

I'll be putting in some miles here in town this afternoon before I head home.

No race to not prepare for now, just fun, stress-free running.  I did catch myself looking for a spring half last night.

Running for TJ because he can't.

PADRunner

Morning. Off today work tomorrow. Today's a RD. Might go to the gym later.

Like most of the country the temps are going to drop pretty quick tonight and stay there for at least a  week. Possible freezes next Sunday/Monday..

Docket_Rocket

Me! Me! Me!

Morning. 5 and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Kristin (great week), Scotty, Robert, PAD, Docket and Pens.  I am off today and back to work tomorrow.

It's supposed to get up to 62F today, then we run (hopefully a long run).

Have a great week !!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I am off tomorrow (thanks, Veterans). I have some easy miles and strides later today.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm back from my barbershop convention in Baltimore, and I had a blast!!  DH and I were just spectating, not competing, so we got to relax and just listen to all the music, try to figure out who was going to win, etc.  We're ok at predicting the winners, but not great.  It's all good.  And there were sequins EVERYWHERE, which is just fun.  A quartet from our region won second place (that's second in the WORLD), so that's all good.  Unfortunately now I have to get back to work and I have a TON of different songs all crashing into each other in my brain.  Sheesh!

kristin -- I'm working tomorrow, blech.  Have a good SRD!!

scotty -- The riverwalk run sounds like it was fun!!

Robert -- wow, it's going to be quiet in the igloo tomorrow!!  Enjoy the stress-free running!!

PAD -- Geez, am I the only one working tomorrow??  Have a good RD!!

Docket -- You too??  Sigh.  Have a good 5 and weights!!

Jerryb -- well, we can keep each other company!!  Have a good hopeful long run!!

Jack -- Fine.  I will just talk to Jerryb tomorrow.  Enjoy the miles and strides!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I am working tomorrow... but I might have today off?  My student still hasn't gotten back to me to let me know whether or not she wants to meet  today.  She's usually prompt about responding so I hope everything is okay with her.

Today will be 5 and a haircut.  I think I'll wear my running clothes to the haircut place and run right after I'm finished with my haircut.  =)  I have pin straight hair as is so I don't care much for the "blowout" or styling that usually accompanies a haircut.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

hog4life

I'll be working too.  Most likely a RD on the running agenda.

GinnyinPA

Kristin - congratulations on your big mile week.  When is your race?

Scotty - I like your way of celebrating Veterans Day.

Robert - you could always head south and do a race in Florida this winter.

PAD - I hope it doesn't get too cold to run.  Enjoy your RD.

D - have fun at the gym today.  Will you do a LR tomorrow since you have the time?

Jerry - I'm surprised it's that warm.  What happened to the Polar Vortex?

Jack - enjoy your easy miles.

HopesMom - sounds like a fun weekend.  Too bad you couldn't get together with Kristin while you were both in Baltimore.

sapf - my hair is like yours.  I've learned not to waste time with styling, because it never holds.  Five minutes after I leave the shop, my hair is straight again.

Mitch - enjoy your rest day.

AFM:  a few easy recovery miles this afternoon.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My race is Sunday the 23rd.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

My race is Sunday the 23rd.

Good luck!  My little sister is running the full that weekend.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Kristin - congratulations on your big mile week.  When is your race?

Scotty - I like your way of celebrating Veterans Day.

Robert - you could always head south and do a race in Florida this winter.

PAD - I hope it doesn't get too cold to run.  Enjoy your RD.

D - have fun at the gym today.  Will you do a LR tomorrow since you have the time?

Jerry - I'm surprised it's that warm.  What happened to the Polar Vortex?

Jack - enjoy your easy miles.

HopesMom - sounds like a fun weekend.  Too bad you couldn't get together with Kristin while you were both in Baltimore.

sapf - my hair is like yours.  I've learned not to waste time with styling, because it never holds.  Five minutes after I leave the shop, my hair is straight again.

Mitch - enjoy your rest day.

AFM:  a few easy recovery miles this afternoon.

I have Pilates class at 10:30am so I cannot run that much of a long run or my legs will be toast for the class.  Ha.  But I am planning on running before that and then in the afternoon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page