Beginners and Beyond

Thoughts on a "real" training plan (Read 148 times)

@runjerseygirl

11 days until my half (WUT?!? Shocked), and I want to start figuring out my next training plan.  I saw this in the April issue of RW, and wanted to know what your thoughts are.  Up until now, my plan has been strictly mileage building.  I'd like to incorporate some "real" training, which would include speedwork, etc.  Do you think this is a good starting point for creating my next plan?

Do you even run?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

After a quick glance, this looks more like ancillary material for enhancing recovery than a starting point for a training plan. Take a look at some of the training books like Pfitztinger's Road Racing for Serious Runners or Livingstone's Healthy Intelligent Training or Daniels' Running Formula or Glover's Competitive Runner's Handbook.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

I agree with George.  Also, the question is, what are you training for after the HM?  If it's a 5K, I would concentrate your training with speedwork sessions (200s, 400s, etc.) while base building.  If it's another HM, I would incorporate tempo runs and 1000s-1600s intervals to train for it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

@runjerseygirl

I should have clarified... I meant the idea of base/preparation/peak.  For example, building mileage for the first six weeks, then working on incorporating speed workouts the second.

As for what I'm training for next, I don't know.  Possibly Philly half in November.  I would have liked to try for the full, but I don't think I'll be able to make that kind of a time commitment for the training.

I'll check out the books.  I just got a B&N gift card, so I'm thinking about downloading a running book instead of my usual mindless entertainment. Smile

Thanks, guys!

Do you even run?

LRB

I didn't look at the article I mean I am after all, ADHD (allegedly), but I would recommend doing a search for best running/training books. 

By going through reviews and others thoughts on plans and books, you might get a better idea of what's best for you.  I did something similar and ended up settling on Daniels Running Formula. 

Though at the time I didn't buy it to use as a training plan, I bought it to learn more about running/racing.  Which ironically lead me to use it as a training plan as well.

Docket_Rocket

You can still do base building and some speedwork at the same time but I wouldn't do hard speed workouts until you get used to that distance.  I would add some strides and fast finishes to 2-3 runs a week while keeping the rest easy so you can build the base.  Then, after the 6 weeks, start incorporating some speed workouts that can address your next race.  The books George recommended, read them and see what they suggest.  I know Daniels has a base building period within his plans and you might be able to create your own (which is what Daniels does) following his suggestions.

Good luck!

I should have clarified... I meant the idea of base/preparation/peak.  For example, building mileage for the first six weeks, then working on incorporating speed workouts the second.

As for what I'm training for next, I don't know.  Possibly Philly half in November.  I would have liked to try for the full, but I don't think I'll be able to make that kind of a time commitment for the training.

I'll check out the books.  I just got a B&N gift card, so I'm thinking about downloading a running book instead of my usual mindless entertainment. Smile

Thanks, guys!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

You can still do base building and some speedwork at the same time but I wouldn't do hard speed workouts until you get used to that distance.  I would add some strides and fast finishes to 2-3 runs a week while keeping the rest easy so you can build the base. 

It's also good to know why these things are important, which can only be gleaned through self enrichment.

just run a ton of miles, mostly slow, some fast.

its just running

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

@runjerseygirl

just run a ton of miles, mostly slow, some fast.

its just running

Thanks SRL.  I knew I could count on you. Wink

Do you even run?

Thanks SRL.  I knew I could count on you. Wink

i saw him saturday, so I figured I would throw that out there.

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Which is why I said buy the books.  For a moment, I thought you were going to ask me to explain them, haha.

It's also good to know why these things are important, which can only be gleaned through self enrichment.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Did he talk to you?  He was too shy with me.

i saw him saturday, so I figured I would throw that out there.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

In absentia (or via T-Rod), SRL is right. Based purely on your log, you don’t really run enough yet for a periodized plan to have any greater effect than simply running more would, and the possibility of hurting yourself doing structured speedwork on such low miles probably outweighs any potential benefits. It looks like you’re at the point where simply adding an easy day or two would do amazing things for you. You have a ton of room to bring your easy pace down (and by default your race pace) just by running more for a lot longer time. A mere 6 weeks of “base period” probably ain’t gonna do much.  My 2 cents.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

i thought I saw him at packet pickup on friday, but I was getting the baby out of the car seat and about to change a diaper as he was getting into his jeep. Saturday- he was in the middle of his 50 mile race, so I wasnt going to bother him. I also wasnt going to wait around for another 4 hours to bother someone that just ran 50 miles. On FB he did say sorry for not seeing me.

Did he talk to you?  He was too shy with me.

Tomas

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Honestly I don't think most of us need a training plan - at least not yet. The more us newer runners run the more we will improve. Once you plateau is when structured training will really help.

I think the best thing to do is run at least 6 days a week and try to build as big a base as your life requirements will allow. This will hopefully get you a 90 minute medium long run midweek and a 90 to 120 minute long run on the weekend. This might be ideal but for a lot folks the time isn't available so you just have to build "your" base.  Like Damaris said informal speed work should be included in the form of strides and fartleks. This base building is very important. Believe me the hardest thing for me to do is long runs because of the slower pace needed to get the desired results. I would rather do speed work everyday but I know that's not how it works.

Most plans also require that you have an adequate base. Look at the Higdon plans and right in the beginning of each plan and it says that you should have been running "x" miles for "y" years. That is the aerobic base needed to get thru the plan. Now take the Ryan Hall half marathon plan. If you don't have the strong base it becomes hard to do the speed work. The speed work taxes your system and then the longer runs can't be done. Eventually fatigue and unplanned rest days happen .

As for myself, I am looking long term as in spring or fall of  2014 to have a serious race plan. After my last 5k this May I am going to be all about base building. I have thought about Running Wizard which is based on Arthur Lydiards principles . I need to research it more but it sounds positive.

Anyway that's just what's on my mind - hope you find something that works for you!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!