Beginners and Beyond

Grete's Great Gallop HM RR (Read 84 times)

meaghansketch

This was my third time running this race, (now, officially called "Memorial Sloan-Kettering's Fred's Team Presents Grete's Great Gallop") which is an annual race celebrating Grete Waitz, the 9-time winner of the NYC Marathon, among other honors.  The first time I did it Grete was there, high-fiving runners at the start.  I didn't get a high-five that day in 2010 (the course was quite crowded) and little did I know it would be my last chance.  As I've learned more about her running career she has really become an inspiration to me, and I thought of her often during the race, particularly during the parts I wanted to slow down.

Even though I am in marathon training mode, I thought a lighter week would do me some good, since I'd been feeling a little burned out, and decided this would be a good week for it.  I took an extra day off and cut another couple workouts a bit short.  It was my lowest mileage week in a while, but I went into the race feeling fresh and ready for a PR.

With a PR of 1:51 and change, I had a main goal going into the race of 1:50.  I had entertained thoughts of a 1:49 or even a 1:48, but as the weather forecast made it clear that it was going to be 66 and muggy (90% humidity), I abandoned my higher aspirations and decided that though I would still aim for a 1:50, aiming higher might well end very badly for me.

At the gun my main goal was to run 8:23s (or close) while staying as relaxed as possible.  The route was somewhat hilly so I knew there would be a bit of pace variation, so I was going to have to run a bit under 8:23 on the more downhill miles to make up the time I was going to lose on the more uphill miles.  In the first mile of the race, I had to do a little bit of working my way around people, but gradually I found my pace and relaxed into it.

Miles 1-4: 8:24, 8:17, 8:21, 8:20-- feeling nice and steady and relaxed.

At mile 5 I came to the first big hill.  I lost a little bit of time but was still feeling nice and relaxed.

Mile 5: 8:30

At mile 6 I took my first gel.  Around mile 7, I passed the finish line for the first time, since it was a two loop course.  The first time I ran this race, the elite men and elite women lapped me.  The second time I ran this race, the elite men lapped me.  This time, no one lapped me.  (The men's race would be won in 1:06:29, the womens' race in 1:20:19)

Miles 6-9: 8:16, 8:16, 8:26,8:11

With more hills up ahead, the next two miles of the race were the hardest for me.  Gone was the idea of just staying relaxed-- now it was time to go to work.  By this point I was feeling like the hills had already done a number on me. I was fine on flat terrain or going down, but on the uphills I just felt like I was totally out of gas.  This may be just something that happened today (I ran a hilly 18-miler a week ago that may still be affecting me) or it may point to a training weakness.  I was doing lots of hill sprints in June and July but they had fallen off my radar recently, replaced by more race-specific speedwork.  I took another gel somewhere in this section.

Miles 10-11: 8:26,8:39

Two miles to go, and more downhill than uphill.  Time to bring it home.  I knew 1:49 was out the window but I had a good shot at 1:50, still, if I just stayed focused and kept working.

Miles 12-13: 8:12, 8:24

The race finishes at the same finish line as the NYC marathon.  I summon everything I have-- thoughts of that day in 2010 when I finished my first marathon on that line, thoughts of the times I'd finished this half on that line, thoughts of the day four weeks from now when I will be crossing that line again-- and kick for it.

last .1: 51 seconds (7:41 pace).

Chip time: 1:49:34.

After the race I got some water and gatorade, and began jogging back along the course.  I had a slower friend who was running the same race, and I wanted to jog the last part in with her.  I ran some/walked some back along the course of the race, until I saw her about two miles from the finish line.  We chatted the whole way during those last two miles, and she finished strong.  It was a great way to cool down while catching up with her and encouraging her, but the total mileage really added up, and I'm feeling it now.

This was a wonderful race and a wonderful tribute to the Grete Waitz.  This race was an important benchmark for me as I enter the last weeks of training before my marathon.  With a 1:50 in less-than-perfect weather, I believe that a 4:00 marathon finish is a realistic goal for me, and barring anything unforeseen, it's what I'll be aiming for.

Antipodean

That's a great race, congratulations on going under 1:50! I look forward to reading your marathon report. Good luck for that!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

RabbitChaser

Congratulations on running a strong race and getting the sub-1:50! I think you'll be able to get that sub-4:00 marathon. Thanks for sharing the RR.

happylily

I love that this was in honor of Grete...

How wonderful, Meaghan! Huge congratulations! Just as a side note, I ran a HM a few weeks before my first ever marathon. I ran it 1:50 and I finished my marathon in 3:55... And I'm pretty certain that your training is more intense than mine was. So I predict a very strong sub-4:00 for you! Go, Meaghan, go!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

The race finishes at the same finish line as the NYC marathon.  I summon everything I have-- thoughts of that day in 2010 when I finished my first marathon on that line, thoughts of the times I'd finished this half on that line, thoughts of the day four weeks from now when I will be crossing that line again-- and kick for it.

I love this.

The idea that you were slower than you thought on the hills was likely a mental state, as you actually ran "the big hill" faster at mile 10 than you did at mile 5.

Your pace groupings also show that you held it together pretty good.

01-8:24

02-8:17

03-8:21

04-8:20

05-8:30

06-8:16

07-8:16

08-8:26

09-8:11

10-8:26

11-8:39

12-8:12

13-8:24

As you know, the only way to really run an even pace on hills is to increase your effort, something most people recommend against unless you trained that way.

All in all, you have trained extremely prudent this cycle, it has been fun following your training.  Get some extra protein in you this week to help recover from a very strong effort yesterday, then zero in on the Big Show coming soon to a city near you!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Great race!  I also agree with LRB about some extra protein for recovery.  I ran my tune up half last Saturday, and yesterday I finally felt recovered, and my paces were back on track.  That first week after my HM made me a bit nervous because my legs were heavy and I was a bit slow, but I rolled with it and took it easy and I think I'm going to have a great week this week.

Good luck with your upcoming marathon!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jess runs for bacon

Wow, congrats on the PR and I can't wait to see what you do at the full! Grete was (well still is) a great inspiration.

You ran a great race congratulations!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice job, meaghan!!! Awesome splits! Congrats on a strong race and great PR!!!

just curious, is the big hill Harlem Hill or Cat Hill? I have not seen a map for this race. I have run Harlem Hill only once, at the very beginning of an 11 mile training run, and it is a beast! Run Cat Hill several times in races and training runs....that's not fun either as it is a mile of climbing.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

delicate flower

Good steady effort, Meghan!  Congrats on the PR!  Definitely not the nicest day for racing yesterday.  Great job.

<3

TakeAHike

Congratulations on a great race and a new PR, Meaghan.  Your pacing was excellent and it sounds like you had a good plan for the race and executed it very well.  This bodes well for the NYCM.  Nice job.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great splits and you almost had that sub 1:49. That big hill at mile 5 didn't slow you too much, either. That is a well run, consistent race.

meaghansketch

Julie- Thank you!

RabbitChaser- Thank you! I hope so!

Lily- Thank you!  My endurance is pretty terrible though... On a 1:52 HM I ran a disappointing 4:19 this spring.  I have been running quite a few miles lately, though, so I'm hoping that it will help my endurance.  I will try to live up to your prediction, though!

Rick- It was a 6-mile loop, so the uphill mile at mile 5 I ran in 8:30 the first time actually took me 8:39 the second time through (mile 11).  I did try to run more at 'even effort' than 'even pace', even though it meant that some of my splits were all over the place. I will definitely get some extra protein this week!

Awood- Thanks for the tips, I will try not to freak out too much about 'dead legs' this week, which I know I am sure to have.

lilac- Thank you!

Irishguy- Thank you!

Kristin- Thank you!  The race was run the opposite way of the normal race direction in Central Park (so clockwise instead of counterclockwise).  So we were actually running down Harlem Hill and Cat Hill.  This hill was between the two, at the top of the park but slightly on the East side, near the Lasker pool.  It is about a mile of climbing, too.  Here's the elevation map:

So mile 2.5-4 is Harlem Hill but run downhill, mile 4-5 is the hill by Lasker pool, and then mile 5-6 is Cat Hill run downhill.

Phil- Thank you!  Yeah, it was a little soupy!  Hopefully I could cut another minute off my time in better weather.

TakeAHike- Thank you!  Yes, I am quite happy with my race execution.  Hopefully it is indeed a good sign for NYCM!

Jack Klompus- Thank you!  I never felt like I was close to 1:49, but maybe with better weather!

Ric-G

congrats! that is some great stuff...clearly the overall miles you have been putting in are making a difference...just keep it up and the endurance will follow...all of this is a process and you will see results continue to reflect the training...be well.

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

Rick- It was a 6-mile loop, so the uphill mile at mile 5 I ran in 8:30 the first time actually took me 8:39 the second time through (mile 11). 

This paints a better picture thanks.  9 seconds is not bad at all!

What's the deal with that little spike just at the end?  There are a couple of those at the end of Detroit and although they look relatively small on a graph, at the end of a race they can suck whatever life is left in you out!