Beginners and Beyond

Clawson Runs 1 Mile Race Report (Read 65 times)

happylily

Yes, 13 years old and finished in 5:25.

Those snotty brats shouldn't be allowed to run with us, real runners. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Those snotty brats shouldn't be allowed to run with us, wanna be hobby joggers. 

FYP.

Did you pay attention to anything I wrote.  lol

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Those snotty brats shouldn't be allowed to run with us, real runners. 

Seriously. Kids these days!

Pinktastic

What an insanely fast time, Rick!    Way to go!   HUGE congrats on that PR - really PINKSATIONAL!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Rick, that is ridiculously fast!!!  My lungs burned just reading!!

Notice the similar spread in last year & this year.  No shame in going out hot on the first quarter.  It happens.......a LOT!!  (at least to me)

But that's part of the fun anyway.  Go with the flow, settle in, then see what the results are!!

Congrats to you & well done!!!  

Randy

delicate flower

Heck of a race, LRB.  It's good that the race leaves you wanting more.  12 seconds is a pretty big improvement....that'd be a 36 second (thereabouts) improvement in a 5K, which is big at that speed.

The kid is the first thing I noticed in that photo too.  Big grin

<3

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

LRB, on my run yesterday I was thinking about your race and had this question...

Do you think the new exercises are helping you?  Are you firing your glutes during the run or are you using old habits?

Just wondering if a change in form either helped you, hurt you, or is too soon to see a difference.

LRB

Do you think the new exercises are helping you?  Are you firing your glutes during the run or are you using old habits?

Just wondering if a change in form either helped you, hurt you, or is too soon to see a difference.

I have not mastered the art of glute firing whether running, doing legs lifts or sitting on it.  And I am not sure that I will ever get it running but I suppose if I get it in any way running will follow, but that is not really a high priority for me at this time.

The jury is still out on whether this latest attempt at core and hip strengthening is helping but it is the most promising so far as the hip pain I have run with the past two years has mysteriously gone away.  During my time running I have experienced intermittent knee-wobble in my left leg whenever attempting a single leg squat or going up the stairs, but that has not reared its ugly head lately as well.

The latter is more significant in terms of your question in this regard; a car will still drive with an unbalanced wheel, but not as efficient or without economy being compromised somewhere in the equation.  So my answer to that is yes, indirectly core and hip strengthening is probably making a difference in my running economy and/or efficiency.

I say probably because with core and hip work there is usually no quantifiable result like faster race times which is why runners are loath to do them.  The biggest function may be to keep our asses off the bench, which can be measured by the fact of if you are running or not.

As far as form that remains unchanged.  Anyone who has analyzed it has had nothing to say about it so that is probably the only thing I am doing right, besides of course seeking out professional help in the first place to correct my muscle imbalances and strengthen my weak ass hips.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang...5:23...I can't even IMAGINE myself doing that, lol.

Congrats, Rick!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt