Beginners and Beyond

Simsbury River Run 10K RR - a PR on tired legs (Read 60 times)

delicate flower

Today I ran the local 10K race here in town.  I was looking forward to this since I hadn't run it since 2011, and that was two months after I started running.  The course is part of my regular running schedule and I run it at least once a week.  It kind of felt like playing in my home stadium.  I really didn't have any high expectations today since I am in peak marathon training (one more week until taper), haven't focused on speedwork, and did this race on tired legs.  I scaled back the miles a little the last few days but still did this race on the heels of a 51 mile week.  Anyway, I was just hoping to have a decent race.  Since I want every race to be a PR, that's what I aimed for (43:24, 6:59 pace).  I knew an early fade and slow finish was a possibility due to cumulative fatigue, but I'd worry about that if it happened.

Warm up was 1.5 miles of jogging with fast strides mixed in.  My legs didn't have a lot of pep during my warm up and I knew today was going to be a battle.  I was game though.  DW also did the 10K today.  I wished her luck and lined up close to the front.  12:00 sharp and the race was off.

Mile 1:  6:39.  This is a 5K and 10K race.  They start together but the 5K starts 1/10 of a mile up the road.  I caught them quickly and spent a good part of mile 1 bobbing and weaving through 5K runners.  A little fast on the pace but I felt good.

Mile 2:  7:05.  This mile is a gradual uphill....maybe 80' of climbing.  Not terrible but it's there.  I didn't push too hard.  Lots of race left.  I finally got through most of the 5K runners (not a huge field...600 between both races).  Once the 5K and 10K routes split at mile 2.5, the field thinned out.  I didn't gain or lose a spot the rest of the way.

Mile 3:  6:52.  Miles 2-4 were into a steady 10-15 mph headwind.  I did my best to push through it but it was making me work.  Some small rolling bumps kept me working too.

Mile 4:  7:01.  This is starting to feel like a 10K here.  I'm now entering "hang on" mode.

Mile 5:  7:10.  Getting very tired now.  The course turns back toward the finish area, and of course there is no tailwind.  Hmph.

Mile 6:  7:04.  Giving everything I have this last mile but I'm hurting.  I knew I was very close to a PR and that kept me driving hard.

Mile 6.2:  6:33 pace.  No sure how I mustered a final kick here but found one.  Crossed the finish line sucking wind and happy about a new PR.  My legs were trashed.

Official time:  43:16.  Good for a 8 second PR.  I know I can run a 10K faster than this, but I'm happy with this result, all things considered.  I'm glad my shorter distance speed does not seem to have taken a hit during this marathon training cycle.  My next 10K is in August on a flat, fast course.  I'm looking forward to running that on fresh legs with a bunch of speedwork under me.

Final results:

43:16

AG 6 / 43

OA 20 / 228

McMillan estimates a 3:23 marathon based on this, if you believe that sort of thing.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Wait a minute.  You got a PR on tired legs?  Man, you're in for a huge PR on your marathon!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Man, you're in for a huge PR on your marathon!

I certainly hope so.

Mom-in-law got a finish line pic.  Heh....ugly race face.  You know, as opposed the ugly non-race face.

<3

LRB

Calf sleeves?  Looking to win the Boston Marathon are we?  lol

Seriously, 10k's are a tough road to hoe during marathon training, that you ran a PB is nothing short of impressive!  So kudos for that!

Are you pacing Vermont for a BQ or McMillan's time?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Of course your legs are tired, you are training for a marathon. I remember I did a 10k not too long before my first marathon and I was tired of training, just plain tired, and unmotivated to run a 10k on tired legs. I ran a similar time to yours. I guess we just find a way to do it on race day? In any case, nice PR (on said tired legs) and you are going to do very, very well in your marathon. Great run, Baboon.

delicate flower

Are you pacing Vermont for a BQ or McMillan's time?

I think I'm going to run somewhere between 3:15 (BQ) and 3:30.  I'm targeting 3:20.  That assumes race day conditions allow it.

Thanks, Klompus!  I appreciate all the kind words both here and on FB.

<3

LRB

Of course your legs are tired, you are training for a marathon. I remember I did a 10k not too long before my first marathon and I was tired of training, just plain tired, and unmotivated to run a 10k on tired legs. I ran a similar time to yours. I guess we just find a way to do it on race day? In any case, nice PR (on said tired legs) and you are going to do very, very well in your marathon. Great run, Baboon.

Same here.  My race report however was full of green eggs and ham, sour grapes, moldy cheese and all that good sh**.  lol

I hated that race!  Still one of my worst ever.

Nice PR! Way to hold on to your pace during miles 4-6. I can see the tired in your finish pic.

I almost did a 10k ~4 weeks before my marathon but backed out. Partly for being tired, partly for fear of injury, partly because that day it was 0F windchill at the starting time. LRB can tell you all about it!

Dave

hog4life

Congrats Phil, I guess I need to go get me some of them bionic knees, lol. Nice pic! You are gonna do very well in your marathon, can't wait to hear about it.

LRB

I almost did a 10k ~4 weeks before my marathon but backed out. Partly for being tired, partly for fear of injury, partly because that day it was 0F windchill at the starting time. LRB can tell you all about it!

It was colder than a witches tit that morning!

And $45 and six weeks later I am still sore over it. 

Congrats Phil!

That you were able to PR (a 10K, no less) during some tough marathon training bodes very well.

Mmmmm...beer

Great job, PR on tired legs!  You're gonna kill your marathon.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Do not doubt McMillan!

Great great stuff, Phil! Racing on tired marathon training legs is tough as hell. You'd have run a strong sub-43:00 on fresh legs. Feel confident to adjust your marathon goal with that in mind. It's not me saying it, it's Pfitz. 

Oh, and... look at those leg muscles!!!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nice racing on tired legs. That's an odd start. Do they think the 5K runners are all that fast or the 10K runners that slow? You front runners shouldn't have to weave through crowds of slower runners.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

Nice racing on tired legs. That's an odd start. Do they think the 5K runners are all that fast or the 10K runners that slow? You front runners shouldn't have to weave through crowds of slower runners.

It is an odd start. The race starts on a divided road.  10K on the left and 5K a little up the road on the right.  I was able to pass about half the 5K field before the lanes merge together.  The problem there is that when the lanes merged, I was squeezed to the left shoulder.  I had to work a bit to get to the outside and pass people there.  It certainly kept the first two miles interesting.

Thanks for all the comments!

<3