Beginners and Beyond

Anatomy for Runners (Read 110 times)

Hip Redux

Word.

I have a passion for running and a passion for surfin' the 'net.  And I am trying to get better at both.  lol

That's ok, I'm very good at reading books about stuff I should be doing. lol

LRB

It's a start, I'll give you that.  lol

Cyberic

Me too. When I feel like doing something, I usually read 1-2 books about it first, and often end up not doing it Smile

Half Crazy K 2.0

Is this the book: book ?

Guess it's time to make another used book purchase from amazon. 

Cyberic

I bet you were good at giving book reports when you were a little boy.:-)

Guilty of geekyness, again

Cyberic

Is this the book:  ?

Guess it's time to make another used book purchase from amazon. 

Yep, that's the one.

Half Crazy K 2.0

So should I suck it up and pay the less than $10 new price? My luck in finding $2 used running books on amazon didn't hold true for this one.

From the Internet.

I've been meaning to read this for a while, I really should just bite the bullet and do it. If injuries gave you frequent flyer miles, I'd have a free trip to Japan by now.

The other thing they talked about was running as if your pelvic region was a bowl of soup, and you were trying not to spill any.  I realized rather quickly that I already run that way on my own so I was 1 for 2 in those tasks.

This is going to sound so stupid, but visualizing a bowl of water in there and the mantra "Don't spill the pelvis water!" has been a big cue for me lately. It makes me giggle and it's impossible to forget.

I think that my own silly cue plus running from the glutes (and lots of barbell glute bridges for strength/glute activation during non-running workouts) have made a huge difference in my form and helped me to finally start increasing mileage without issues cropping up every other day. I've gone from ~20mpw but almost half of those on the treadmill to running 26+ all outside and almost all on roads over the course of the last few months. I will also be curious to see if no longer running like a fricken stomping elephant means I get more mileage out of my shoes.. last couple pairs have crapped out before 300 miles, which seems absurd for someone who weighs ~135 pounds.

Hip Redux

If anyone is looking for hip/glute exercises, I have a bunch of really good ones from PT.  Like my ass is SORE most days lol

LRB

If anyone is looking for hip/glute exercises, I have a bunch of really good ones from PT.  Like my ass is SORE most days lol

Yeah you know me!

Hip Redux

Yeah you know me!

I tried to find a good picture but I could not!  So, I drew them.  (anyone looking for a visual design person?  I'M YOUR GAL)

If these don't burn, you aren't doing them right!  I've added some ways to make them more difficult as well, since some of you aren't coming off surgery. Big grin

LRB

I tried to find a good picture but I could not!  So, I drew them.  (anyone looking for a visual design person?  I'M YOUR GAL)

If these don't burn, you aren't doing them right!  I've added some ways to make them more difficult as well, since some of you aren't coming off surgery. Big grin

Impressive!  Can you create video as well?!

LRB

So let me get the straight, the movement is in the knee of the leg that is not out to the side or back?  So which glute will feel the burn, on the leg that is bending or the one that is out?

Hip Redux

So let me get the straight, the movement is in the knee of the leg that is not out to the side or back?  So which glute will feel the burn, on the leg that is bending or the one that is out?

They are both basically a one-legged squats in effect.   You will feel it in the leg that stays on the step - with the back leg you are just trying to reach backwards (or sideways in the second one) - doing nothing more than making your other leg work to pull it back.   No pushing off, just a toe touch with that leg, while the other carries the load.

If I have to make a video, worlds may implode.

But seriously, I have never felt a burn in my tuckus like I have with this exercise lol

meaghansketch

I had an evaluation last night with a physical therapist, and like a lot of runners (esp. runners whose profession is sitting in front of a computer) I've got tight hip flexors and glutes that just aren't firing at all when I run.  The PT gave me some good exercises, dynamic stretches for the hip flexors and also a series of lunges that look kind of similar to what Oski posted for the nonfiring glutes.  I'm going to work on those for a bit on my own but I'm still deciding if I want to follow up with scheduling any PT appointments... I might get this book also if it has some worthwhile exercises.

The fact that I'm running with my calves, not with my butt... Well, it explains why my calves are so built up and also why I'm not getting enough power in my strides.  It's definitely something to work on.