Beginners and Beyond

KristiRTT first 1/2 RR!!! Beating my goal even with killer hills! Updated to show elevation map (Read 94 times)

Hello All,

I will try to make this as short and sweet as possible, however I am so excited about this accomplishment I just may ramble!! My finish time was 2:09:04

Ill start off saying that the two weeks leading up to the race were not ideal, we found out my grandmother was in an ICU at Ohio State University, about 10 hours away, and had to rush to Ohio to be with family during her passing.  I am glad we went to be with her and family, but it took quite an emotional and physical toll on me.  I was very worried about this race since I had only ran 2 since coming home.

On race day I drove to my parents house, my father was running his second 1/2 with me, it was a very sunny, although windy day about 30 degrees.  Dad and I took some pictures and headed out to the Fort William Henry, a beautiful resort on Lake George and a great place to start a race.  After a long bathroom line, we headed outside for the national anthem and a moment of silence for Boston.  I wore a pray for Boston sticker, but many of the racers had Boston memorabilia on, we are only about 4 hours from there.

We start the race and head up a very hilly course, I am a slower runner average about 10 mm, so I was hoping for a 2:20 finish considering the course.  Miles 1-4 were all uphill and I knew I was running very fast for me, 9:34, 9:29, 9:54, and 9:42.  It was tough but I was keeping up, the wind had started to die down and I was enjoying the experience.  Dad decided to run with me instead of at his own pace, it was very sweet.

Miles 5-7 9:37, 9:34, 9:33,  the course leveled out some, which really just means that it was rolling hills not straight uphill.  I was still running fast, but I didnt feel bad. I was just mad that the race organizers that the aid stations were too far apart and only one port of potty on the course.  The turnaround was at mile 7, so I knew the second half of the race should not be quite as hard as the first, but fatigue had started to set it.

Mile 7-10 9:43, 9:52,9:43, 10:43 I was going along ok, still tired and very thirsty.  We were told there would be water every 2 miles so I didnt take my own, there was only water a mile 3, mile 6, and then again at 10.  I needed to take a gu, but I had never taken one without water.

Miles 11-13.1 There was a slight uphill at mile 10-11 and I lost it there.  I had to take 3 walking breaks during this time.  My splits reflect that

10:19, 9:54, 9:21, and the last .1 was 9:30.  I was dissapointed that I started the race out too fast, I proabably wouldnt have needed to stop and walk, but I chalk it up to beginners foolishness and race day excitement.  I still over took 5 people in my kick to the finish.

I have a co-worker who has been a runner for 20 years who surpised me at the end, and my family was at the finish line, helping me to sprint to the finish.  All in all I had a great experience, learned about how to really race, and once my legs stop hurting I will be back out there enjoying this sport.  My dad has dreams of running Disney's Dopey Challenge Jan 2015, I am not so sure about that one, but we will see what the future holds, I may need to start saving money and training today!!!

My Dad and I before the race

My Mom, My Dad, Me, and my Husband Bart

Thanks for reading and all the informaion and support you have given me throughout my short running career!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Docket_Rocket

Great job, kristi!  Congrats!

I guess I'll see you in 2015...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I'm so happy that all went well for you and that you beat your goal by such a large margin. You're awesome! Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

outoftheblue

Congrats on a fantastic first Half Marathon.  You beat your goal by 10 minutes!!!

Life is good.

Jess runs for bacon

It took me like ten minutes to figure out where your time was. That's a great time, you should be very proud of yourself!!!

Did I miss your finishing time?

Seems like you did really well, and your pacing wasn't bad at all. Great job!

ETA: okay, lilac found it, how come I can't?

ETA again: okay, I see it in the signature. That's fantastic!

hog4life

Kristi, congratulations on a great race! Your splits look really good to me for the hills. That had to suck about the water stops. You and your family look great, thanks for sharing the pics.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Congrats on a great race!

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yay Kristi! wow you OWNED that race...you destroyed your goal! congrats! You and your dad match, was it planned? Love it! Great job!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hah!! I guess I didn't post my finish time!! 2:09:04 thanks guys!

Yay Kristi! wow you OWNED that race...you destroyed your goal! congrats! You and your dad match, was it planned? Love it! Great job!

Yes it was planned!! Made it easier for our family to spot us coming to the finish!

Pinktastic

Congrats on your inaugural HM, Kristi!!   You totally ROCKED it!!    Thanks for sharing your experience and the pics - you have a sweet looking family!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on doing such a good job on your first HM.  Maybe the extra rest helped instead of hurt you.

Great job and a big Congrats!

LRB

That's no small feat, congrats!

I hear the Dopey challenge is around $500.00.  Dear old Dad better be sitting down when he goes to register!