Beginners and Beyond

Spring Scramble 5k - Kind of a RR (Read 56 times)

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone, so this time its not really a race report as I'm not going to talk about how my running went. I didn't run this for me as it was my friend's first time running a race and I told him I would pace him and make sure he finished under his goal of 33:30.

Not only was the my best friend and his wife's first race but my wife's cousin who is 18 stayed the night with us because he wanted to run it as well. This kid is lean and fast and has played soccer for as long as I have known him and his senior year he is going to run on the cross country team. I knew he would be fast and his goal was to run sub 25 for his first race.

The two of decided we wanted to go out and run a couple miles and continued to wait for the rain to stop and about the time we decided to head that way it actually stopped long enough for us to run and started back up shortly after we got back inside and didn't let up until Saturday morning.

Honestly I didn't know if we were even going to get to run this race, I woke up in the middle of the night to some pretty serious thunder storms, it kept this up all night and into the morning. We woke up around 5:00am and it was still raining pretty hard. We decided to just get ready and head that way and see what happened. I didn't mind running in the rain and Bobby had already text and said "its not like we haven't done it before". My fear was that it would be straight up storming and they would cancel the race.

We arrived around 7:15am and the rain had stopped, its funny, we have been to several races where it was raining right up to the race and then it would stop, lucky I guess Smile There wasn't very many people at this race I think a lot of the people that signed up for it decided not to show because of the weather. I would be surprised if there was over 100 people that showed.

We decided before the race to do a very short warm-up around the block and take a quick pit stop at the 1 porta-potty they had on duty, lol.

After we got done with the warm-up we still had a few minutes before the race so we just stood around and took a few quick pics.

This is Melanie (Bobby's wife) and you all know the other lady of course Wink

The kid on the far left is Jon (my wife's cousin) he did really well considering it was his first race, but more about that later

Of course we have to have pictures of this pretty girl Smile

8:00am and its race start!

The race went pretty well. Bobby I thought did great for his first run and considering he had only been running for about 10 months.

Our first mile he clocked in right under 10 which was probably a bit fast and pretty much did him in for the rest of the race. He never stopped running though and just kept pushing along. Second mile was around 11 minutes, we were still on track to beat that 33:30 time that he wanted to beat so I just kept pushing him to run, the last 1.1 we finished in about 12:15 for a clock time of 33:15. I thought he did really well!

Once we got to the finish Jon was there and told me that he ran in 23:34 which was about a minute and a half faster than what he was expecting to do. I really thing that kid is going to be crazy fast once he starts running cross country next year!

Here are some finish line pics!

Ok, now my daughter did the little fun run that they had and as much as I enjoy seeing her run and enjoying herself but this fun run really pissed me off, in fact the entire race was very unorganized and pretty sad. They 'couldn't' block the traffic so we were having to pretty much dodge cars and then for the kids fun run they pretty much just walked off and started the after race activities and there wasn't anyone at the finish line cheering the kids on. I was beyond pissed about the entire race to be honest but once it was all over and I ate me about 4 bagels, 2 cheese, 1 regular and 1 cinnamon and then had about 5 small cartoons of chocolate milk and won a door prize I got in a better mood Tongue lol

My wife hurt her foot about a week ago and thought that it was better. It started hurting again during the race so she had to walk about the last 1.5 miles Sad I felt terrible for her, but hopefully after taking this week off she will be able to get back out there!

Anyways here is my daughter doing the fun run, she got bib number 1 I thought that was pretty cool since I didn't register her until we got there, lol.

Anyways, overall it was a fun experience simply because it was three people first race! However, there is a lot of things about this race that really annoyed me, the organization was laughable but the race packets were pretty nice! We got a pretty cool looking tech shirt, even if it is A4... I probably won't be doing this race next year given how this one turned out but oh well, all in all it was a good day and we had a really nice BBQ and bonfire with smores' at Bobby and Melanie's house that afternoon. It was their way of saying Thank You for "coaching" them along.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Too bad the race was unorganized but it happens. It sounds like you still had fun. Two things: your friend could pass for your brother ad the kid needs to a proper headband. Alicebands don't cut it, just ask Bin. Smile. Great pics, by the way.

GinnyinPA

It's not all bad.  Your friend got the time he wanted, your nephew did better than he expected, you had a good time with your friends, the rain stopped, and your daughter looks like she had fun.  And next time, you get to run for you.

Zelanie

Sounds like you did a great job pacing for your friend!  I'm glad that nobody got hurt in the kids' run- yikes!

Dad on the run.

HAHA I know right? My wife and I made fun of him too. Oh well, whatever works I guess...

Too bad the race was unorganized but it happens. It sounds like you still had fun. Two things: your friend could pass for your brother ad the kid needs to a proper headband. Alicebands don't cut it, just ask Bin. Smile. Great pics, by the way.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like fun notwithstanding the organization!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Let the princess has her Alice band for as long as she can. Headband can wait. Haa

Look like a fun day except for the poor organization.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yay for your incredible family of runners and running friends!!! Thanks for sharing, great pics! Must be awesome to do a race with so many people you know and love! Your daughter seems to be liking running a lot and she looks great doing it!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Giving ScottyDawg a run for his money with those pictures!  Getting to help others with their running and share the journey is one of the awesome benefits of becoming someone that runs regularly.  Isn't it fun that you're that guy now that other new runners look up to?  Sorry about some of the race snafus, but it looks like you all had a great time anyway.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Giving ScottyDawg a run for his money with those pictures!  .

Pffffft......puhhhhleeeeeeze Scotty has a minimum 50 pic req.  This RR barely draws a picture of what was even going on! Big grin Wink  (LOL)

P.S.......Awesome pic of your daughter in 2nd to last pic with perfect form from behind.  That right leg perfectly flexed and left lower leg perfectly perpendicular to the ground.  Looks like a pro!  Smile

Randy

MrNamtor

what a great day jb! You have a great family and friends.  Thanks for sharing.

Too bad about your wife's foot, hope she recovers soon.

Were you a big influence in your friend running btw?

Dad on the run.

Yes, my wife and I both would occasionally mention running to them hoping that one day they would finally start asking questions. Well after about 4 months of this they finally started asking questions and I pretty much told them to come run with us and we would do the C25K with them and so far they both still seem to enjoy it Smile

what a great day jb! You have a great family and friends.  Thanks for sharing.

Too bad about your wife's foot, hope she recovers soon.

Were you a big influence in your friend running btw?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice report!  Congrats to you, family, and friends!   Really nice photos!

Congrats to your friend on his first race.  After he gets more experienced, I am sure he will have those splits in reverse order for negative splits for a future race.  With your help, of course!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Great report and photos, Jimmy!  Congratulations to you and your family and friends.  You all did great!  Your daughter is sooo adorable, and is lucky to have such good role models around.  Hopefully fitness will always be a part of her life.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson