Beginners and Beyond

I'm looking for input (Read 79 times)

Love the Half

I have mentioned that I am pacing the 3:25 group at the Marshall University Marathon on November 2 and I am excited because this will be my first pacing experience.

This morning, I received an email from the RD asking me if I would be willing to pace the 3:05 group as they have been unable to find anyone to pace that group.  I am inclined to say "no" for several reasons.

1.  A 3:05 is probably pretty close to my limit in a marathon right now.  I'm a bit faster than I was last year when I ran 2:59 but my training has all been focused on shorter distances.  In other words, I could run a faster 5K now than I could then but my lack of marathon specific training leads me to believe my current marathon limit would be around 3:02 or 3:03.  Thus, rather than encouraging other runners and talking them through bad patches and focusing on running even splits, I'd have to focus nearly exclusively on running my race.

2.  We have a winter series in this area that I have never done particularly well in, primarily because I spent my time focusing on fall races and then took some time off from training after those races.  This year, my March stress fracture tossed my fall racing plans in the dumpster.  When I started running again, I thought, "hey, I could be in great shape by the time of the winter series and probably run it fairly well.

3.  I have been contacted by four different people who have decided to run with the 3:25 group specifically because they trust me to run dead even paces (and I'm pretty good at that).  I feel like I would be letting them down in some way if I choose to pace 3:05.

Am I missing something here?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

I would stay with the 3:25 group, since you'll have more success helping those runners achieving their goals than you pacing one so close to your PR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

I am no where near as experienced as you, but IMO, you should stay with the 3:25 group. If you had a "bad" day, the people that were counting on you for 3:05, might be pissed. If you have a "bad" day for 3:25, you are strong enough to pull it off.

If you have a "bad" day for 3:25, you are strong enough to pull it off.

Agreed.  IMO, pacers should be running well below their actual race abilities.  A 3:05 should be a walk in the park for a 2:40 guy, but for you or me, not so much.

happylily

I have no idea whether you are in 3:05 shape or not, and you don't seem to be 100% certain yourself. If you decide to lead the 3:05 group, I would simply warn your runners that you haven't trained for this and you may fade some in the last few miles. They will then be on their own. Sounds like they won't have anyone anyway, so it's better to have a pacer for 22-24 miles and then finish by yourself than have no one at all and start out too fast. One question: would they have a replacement for you with the 3:25 group?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

My recommendation would be to not do it. Stick with 3:25. Here is my $0.02 from experience.

I am a member of a pace team and have paced 19 races including 14 half's and two fulls. My rule of thumb is that I won't pace a distance at a pace that is faster than roughly one minute slower than my race time for that distance. It should be an easy run. And the guy who runs the team will use pacers at 3:00/3:05 but he has a couple sub-2:40 guys do it. He really does not want pacers pushing their limits. After all you are out there helping runners hit their goals. Plus the race directors he works with really don't like it if their advertised pacers drop out. They will get complaints.

I also want to be able to alert runners in my group to upcoming water stations, turns in the course, and in general give support and let them know how we are doing. If I'm busting my ass trying just to maintain a pace it takes away from that.

My second full was for a 3:40 goal if I remember. It was almost 90 degrees by the finish. We had the 1/2 marathon pacers jump in just past mile 20 to help out if needed. I gave the guy who jumped in with me the sign with 5K to go with no more runners around us and slogged it home. It was possibly the hardest run I've done and that was almost 90 seconds slower than my MP at that time. I use that as an example because you are still running 26.2 miles and if something goes wrong...weather, upset stomach, etc., I don't think you are giving yourself enough cushion. Not nearly enough if you think your all out marathon effort is 3:02/03 right now. I think "pacing" at 3:05 would be much more difficult than you believe.

And my last comment. If you've never paced before why not go out and do something you know you can do and be comfortable doing it? I was incredibly nervous my first gig and while it went well I'm glad it was an easy run for me.

Good luck.

delicate flower

First off, it's got to be pretty cool to be in a position to be offered a 3:05 pacing gig.  I can only dream of getting there some day.

I'd be inclined to stay with the 3:25 group.  Purely from a performance standpoint, you've been targeting a 3:25.  If you have not done the work for a 3:05, it's going to be very difficult to just crank that out on race day (only five minutes off your PR).  Not to mention, you'll need ideal conditions to hit that 3:05 and you can never really count on that.  People being excited that you're their 3:25 pacer would seal the deal for me.  I'd hate to disappoint them.

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

The decision is very simple and I believe you already know it, you just need affirmation.

1. You know and are comfortable with 3:25

2. You have accepted responsibility for pacing the 3:25 guys that contacted you.

3. The RDs problem with a 3:05 pacer is not yours and it would be better for the race as a whole to have good pacers.

4. Do you want to be that pacer that has to drop out, not hold even paces or just simple look like toasted shit when your runners need you most?

I would not.

If I were to accept a pacing responsibility, I would damn sure be able to not only do it reliably but make it so the runners with me know they have someone that is rock steady and able to mentally keep them out of the pit of despair.

catwhoorg

Labrat

STAY.

3:05 is too much of a stretch for you to pace. Nothing would be worse on race day than a pacer who hits a bad spot and messes with the groups goals.

I say this as someone who will be throwing themselves into their pace leader's timing in a few weeks.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Love the Half

Appreciate the input folks.  Glad to see that others are thinking what I'm thinking.  From the "for what it's worth" department, I shared this problem with another runner in my office and she thinks the same thing.  I think what seals it for me is that folks may need encouragement or a kick in the butt most after Mile 22 and if I'm trying to hold 3:05, I may be the one needing a kick in the butt.  If it weren't for the people who have said they are wanting to run with the 3:25 group specifically because I'm pacing it, I might offer to run the first half at a 3:05 pace and let a second pacer jump in at the halfway point.  As it is though, I'm going to stick with 3:25.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

music_girl117

I agree with what everyone else has said.  Maybe you could plan on doing the 3:05 pacing next year though!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

outoftheblue

I've got nothing to add, except it seems like you are making the right decision and I commend you for being a pacer.   I'm interested in hearing about your experience and hope you report back.

I've always wondered how much extra effort/nuisance carrying the sign is.  Some of those things look heavy and awkward.

Life is good.

happylily

I've got nothing to add, except it seems like you are making the right decision and I commend you for being a pacer.   I'm interested in hearing about your experience and hope you report back.

I've always wondered how much extra effort/nuisance carrying the sign is.  Some of those things look heavy and awkward.

I'm really hoping for some pictures of Brad with rabbit ears on. Please Brad, don't disappoint. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I'm really hoping for some pictures of Brad with rabbit ears on. Please Brad, don't disappoint. 

And a sparkly tutu?

Docket_Rocket

And a sparkly tutu?

Even better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page