Beginners and Beyond

Happy Birthday To Me! Be My Valentine 5K Report and Photos (Read 48 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 11th race in 2013.  Hosted on Feb 10, 2013 by my good friends at iaapweb.org who did their usual great job of setting up the course, race timing, etc.  Very nice of them to hold this "birthday bash" 5K just for me on my birthday. emo-thumbup  Yep, this race day happened to fall on my birthday...I am now 143 years old...in dog years. smiley-laughing Event was done along the San Antonio Riverwalk, starting and finishing at the San Antonio Museum of Art (SAMA).   Over 700 registered runners and walkers.  Dark skies, a pretty good wind blowing, but pretty comfortable at 63 or so degrees.  Race start time of 9:30 a.m., so got to sleep in a bit.   Because of the number of participants and the narrowness of the Riverwalk paths, participants were released in "waves" every two minutes, depending upon their pace time.  As a slow old dog, I was in the last wave (9 minute mile pace and up).  I ended up with a finsh chip time of 36:33.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

BEFORE THE START

Race bibs were personalized with names.  My bib:

My mate, Gail, was walking the event.  Her bib had "Scentsy" on it, since she is a Scentsy representative.  The race shirts are tech tees...

Shirt Front

And on the back had either "I'm Taken" or "I'm Single" based on your relationship status..

One of my friends jokingly told me her shirt should have been one that said "It's Complicated" since she didn't know at times what her status was/

From the parking area had a nice view of the Tower Of The Americas in downtown San Antonio.

San Antonio Museum of Art, whose folks graciously allowed us to use their grounds for the start and finish.

Race Day Registration Area on the museum's grounds

Part of the Riverwalk runs behind the museum

Scottydog and Lady Gail...

Time for our close-up, Mr. DeMille...

Angels!

More Partcipants and Supporters

Start crowd in front of me..and those behind me..

ON THE COURSE

We did a little shuffle around some of the museum grounds, then crossed a street adjacent to the museum, and then down a ramp to the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Ran by the water, crossed over a bridge to the other side, all the way down that side to the Pearl Brewery area.  Back up onto the street for a bit, then on the Riverwalk again, heading in the direction of Brackenridge Park, a local park near the Zoo.  Did  a turn-around on this part of the trail, then back the way we had just come.  Hit the street a last time and then back onto the Riverwalk again to finish up at the Museum.

I'm on the right side, heading for the first cross-over bridge

Some people were already on the other side

Looking at the river from the cross-over bridge

Now I'm on the other side...

On the street heading toward the turn-around point

Cupid had already flown to the turn-around point and was heading back to the river to get to the finish

Participants heading to-and-from the turn-around point

All this activity did not seem to bother the birds along the river

Back down to the river and go for the finish!

AFTER THE RACE

My first stop after I was done...

Oh yeah!

Party on the museum grounds!

Costume Contest Winners

Colorful cultural costumes courtesy of a couple of the museum vendors

EPILOG

A really fun event!  Lots of friendly folks, scenic course - even with the bit of crowding at times - and great post-race party with water, food, beer, other drinks, music, etc.   Definitely a great way to start out my birthday!

After 2 races in 2 days it's time for a nap.  My cat, Peanut, quite agreed!

Late Edition Photo:  A friend of mine got me finishing.  The gun time is way off of my chip time, lol, cuz I was so far back in the pack, it took me forever to get to the actual start line.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jess runs for bacon

Those might be the most amazing race tshirts ever. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOTTY! Looks like you spent the day well Smile

hog4life

Scotty, congrats on #11. Looks like a colorful event with plenty of great legs to chase.

Philliefan33

Happy Birthday, Scotty!  I love those race shirts.

Gail is a beautiful woman, and she obviously has a beautiful personality too-- she's kept up with you for 28 years!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Birthday, Scotty!  I love those race shirts.

Gail is a beautiful woman, and she obviously has a beautiful personality too-- she's kept up with you for 28 years!

29 actually, counting the year we lived together before we got married.  Her first two names are really "Saint Patience..."  Joking

GinnyinPA

Sounds like fun!  Was it the same part of the Riverwalk you ran last week?  I love the costumes.  I definitely need to work on that.

Little Blue

That looks like fun, and a great way to spend your birthday, with 700 of your closest friends. Smile

Misty

That bib is the coolest!! And fantastic race shirt too! It sounds like the perfect way for a Scottydawg to spend his birthday Smile

Misty

Bless your heart.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Smokes Scotty, that was blazin'. Happy Birthday too! Looks like everyone had a lot of fun dressing up. Thanks for sharing.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

You two are a handsome couple, and Peanut is hilarious!  Happy Birthday!

happylily

Awww! Happy Birthday to one of my very favorite men on the forum! I'm sure your lovely wife Gail won't mind if I give you 2 kisses, one for each cheek. Smile

Another excellent report, with fun pictures. I love that pic of you at the finish line! Could you do me a favor, Scotty? Give Peanut a belly scratch for me, will you? Such a cutie! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

runmomto3boys

Happy birthday, Scotty!  Great work on running yet another 5K!  I loved all the pics, as usual!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Happy birthday!!!! The bibs and shirts are awesome!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Just B.S.

Scotty what an awesome way to spend your birthday!!

Love the costumes, especially that guy dressed as cupid, priceless.

That is one awesome bib and you got to go home with the lovely Lady Gail!!

An an all round awesome day!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Awww! Happy Birthday to one of my very favorite men on the forum! I'm sure your lovely wife Gail won't mind if I give you 2 kisses, one for each cheek. Smile

Another excellent report, with fun pictures. I love that pic of you at the finish line! Could you do me a favor, Scotty? Give Peanut a belly scratch for me, will you? Such a cutie! Smile

Done!  Peanut thanks you very much and wants more belly scratching from you!  Hmm, belly scratching from you sounds pretty good to me too... Wink