Beginners and Beyond

Another diet thread (Read 180 times)

Nevrgivup

Flarunner-Thanks for your very thought out post. I agree with many of the things you said. I'm done with the debate. I expressed an opinion of how I felt and what I've seen.

Oski-I also agree with your post to a degree. I was never saying I was better than anyone because I didn't diet and because I run. I just found it odd for her to binge before a diet.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

And frankly, some of the runners I know eat like total crap!  LOL

Insert baconator picture here

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Hip Redux

I know you weren't - but some of the other threads that tackle this concept quickly devolve into a "they are stupid, we are awesome" discussion.

Flarunner-Thanks for your very thought out post. I agree with many of the things you said. I'm done with the debate. I expressed an opinion of how I felt and what I've seen.

Oski-I also agree with your post to a degree. I was never saying I was better than anyone because I didn't diet and because I run. I just found it odd for her to binge before a diet.

robinde

This is the part of your original post that stuck with me.  Last January (2012), my bff and I started a weight loss program together.  We made the decision to start on Monday.  She spent the whole weekend indulging in food that she knew we were giving up on Monday.  It didn't make sense to me, even then.  Of course she only lasted about 6 weeks and has gained everything back.  I managed to stick it out and lose 110lbs and will keep it off.  It's totally like Nevr said.  It's about changing your lifestyle and it's easy to see who will succeed and who won't by the attitude going in.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The concept of binging before a diet isn't that strange. There is an entire holiday called Mardi Gras based on a similar concept... Ash Wednesday begins Lent, a 40 day long period of fasting and giving things up. Traditionally, the day before Ash Wednesday is known as "Fat Tuesday" which Mardi Gras translates to in French, where Catholics will traditionally binge, drink, and do all of the things in excess before they give it up for almost a month. I think it is a natural human tendency to want to have a lot of something before they can't have it for awhile. What I have trouble understanding why people engage in extreme diets that aren't sustainable, will likely end in failure or them gaining the weight right back. I have read a lot and educated myself on the right ways to eat as not to starve or deprive myself such as high fiber and protein, healthy fats, ots of veggies, unhealthy stuff in moderation, but what is common sense to me now that I know these things is not to the majority of people. Many people just need sone education. Weight Watchers is probably the healtbiest way to learb to eat well without deprivation, and when I hear about someone trying to lose weight by dieting, I always recommend it. It really teaches you to eat right and not crash diet.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Not saying I'm better than anyone else, just that I have worked hard at learning to eat well without fad diets and I am hopeful that I can help others in my life do the same.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

RSX

My take on the thread is that we are all judgmental but there is nothing wrong with it. I may vent about anyone here but I have no need to correct them especially outside my family. If they ask my help I will give any advice I can.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Sounds like 3/4 of the people I know, who oddly enough, work in the medical industry. Sure, they work with eyes but they still had to go to nursing school and do regular rotations at clinics in order to keep their license current. My mom happens to be one of them.

Every 6 mos or so, there is some "magic fix" diet that comes along(currently, it is soda pop being the scourge of all life existence....I do believ there was even a thread ON RA lately about soda pop evils) that all the office girls follow that will cure all their weight issues without needing to fix anything else about their lifestyle.

Ugh. I want them to succeed but thinking one thing is the root of all evil is just stupid. You have to exercise. You have to eat right and in moderation. If I have to hear one more time about where my mom has went lately that "you really get your money's worth of food" I will scream! Does it taste good? I never hear about that, only getting mass quantities of food for $5.

Yeah, I see how that's working for you.....

I don't mean to disparage,I really don't. I was there. I lived it. I know. I just want so damn hard for her to succeed and NOT DIE EARLY but she just won't listen to reason. And god, it sucks to watch it, year after year.

You've hit on the thing that bothers me most about people and weight issues.  I realized a long time ago that my biggest weight issue wasn't what I was eating, it was how much.  I had not idea what a serving size was.  When I figured it out, I also found out that if I threw in a glass of water I was full.

That's when taking customers to lunch or dinner started to become an eye opening experience.  I'd look at the amount of food they bring to the table, and think..."OH CRAP...WHAT DO I DO?".  It took me a long time to figure out that nobody else cares if you leave food on the plate, as long as you tip the waitress.  My eating those fries won't put food in the mouths of starving kids in China, contrary to my mother's theory.

Subway drives me nuts.  I hear people in line talking about weight loss, and they always order the foot long because it's $5.  Unless you're saving half of that for tomorrow, or for dinner, your condiments and chips bring that foot long meal to anywhere between 800 and a 1,000 calories.  That 6" sub by itself loaded with veggies would fill you up for under 400 calories if you just gave it a shot.

As for the OP, I don't know which is worse, the diet itself, or the self destruction just before the diet.  12 donuts today, won't make your 3 weeks of protein heavy meat sweats any more bearable.  If all people want is temporary weight loss at a price, I can teach them how to really do it. I was a wrestler for half of my life.  Hell, I can take 10 pounds off of you TODAY.  You'll put it back on at a drinking fountain, but I can do it.  If you want to be fit, and be fit for the rest of your life, then there aren't any short cuts.  It's worth it though.  I dropped down to the weight I am now back in 2010, and put almost every pound back on later.  That's when I realized that it was worth it to continue to eat right, and exercise.  Try going from 315, to 225, and back to 300 pounds.  It's quite the learning experience.  No amount of food, beer or leisure could make me feel as good as I did at 225 for every moment of the day.  I said to myself, "I have to get back there, and stay there".  That's what I'm doing right now.

I know every weight fluctuation that takes place in my body, and I can tell you exactly what caused it.  That doesn't mean that I have to track it every day, but I'm aware of those days when I've gone off the rails and I know it can't happen that often.  It won't.  I'm as proud of maintaining my weight within a 5 pound range throughout the holidays, as I am of losing all of the other pounds.

If others want to pack on 4 pounds in 24 hours, and shed 10 over 21 days just see what it would be like to be 6 pounds lighter before ballooning back up, I can't stop them.  When they're done playing around though, I can show them that its possible to do it the right way and have a better life.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

My take on the thread is that we are all judgmental but there is nothing wrong with it. I may vent about anyone here but I have no need to correct them especially outside my family. If they ask my help I will give any advice I can.

Thank you for the self-correction. I didn't want to say anything, but people who write the word "advise", instead of  "advice", bother me more than fat people. Fortunately, you're not one of them. Big grin

Aside from that, I have zero knowledge of what it takes to lose weight. But I do know that people who manage to take any weight off are simply extraordinary. It must be incredibly difficult to starve yourself a little everyday to create the necessary deficit for weight loss.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

Thank you for the self-correction. I didn't want to say anything, but people who write the word "advise", instead of  "advice", bother me more than fat people. Fortunately, you're not one of them. Big grin

Aside from that, I have zero knowledge of what it takes to lose weight. But I do know that people who manage to take any weight off are simply extraordinary. It must be incredibly difficult to starve yourself a little everyday to create the necessary deficit for weight loss.

You're welcome. I screw up plenty of posts when I do them via phone as I can't always see the whole paragraph context at once before I hit post. On a desk top any mistakes I made become more clear as they did for this.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

The thing that bothers me is when people TALK and TALK and TALK about it and I'm forced to hear their complaints every single day, yet they don't change!

I'm not any better than someone who is overweight and/or unhealthy.  No way.  I have plenty of my own issues - my weight just isn't one of them (any more!).  The difference is, I don't complain about my issues.  I know what I should work on, and if I'm not willing or able to do that work right now, I'll keep that private, thank you very much.

Angela 

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Can I have a 2nd Snickers bar.

Mmmmm...beer

When it comes to dieting and body image, the LAST thing someone wants is a fit runner, health type telling them how to do it "right".

I have to disagree on this point, but maybe it's just me.  I won't take fitness/health advice from someone who is not fit/healthy, just like I won't take financial advice from someone that is broke.  If you can't walk the walk, then you lose credibility in my eyes.  I do think that people who are trying to lose weight will identify more easily with someone who been overweight/obese and has lost the weight vs. someone that has been fit their whole life.  That's just human nature, it sounds like less of a lecture coming from someone who has been there.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

notimeforthat

Can I have a 2nd Snickers bar.

I ate it already. Sorry.

Love the Half

I do think that people who are trying to lose weight will identify more easily with someone who been overweight/obese and has lost the weight vs. someone that has been fit their whole life.  That's just human nature, it sounds like less of a lecture coming from someone who has been there.

Agreed.  Interestingly enough, there was a story a couple of years ago about a personal trainer who had always been in good shape.  He was going through an experiment of deliberately gaining weight and getting out of shape so he could better understand what people go through when they try to get into shape.  I think he was doing something like six months of bad dieting and no exercise.  Personally, I still have very distinct, and not so fond, memories of what it felt like to barely be able to run half a mile.  Heck, my main goal when I started running was to be able to run for three miles without stopping.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).