Beginners and Beyond

How much of a weight loss would you be willing to accept? (Read 273 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm working on losing weight now (been on Weight Watchers for 3 weeks) but not just for running (though I am hoping it will help me get faster!!!) I was about 30lbs past my "happy weight" as of 6 months ago...I was 159lbs last summer. Running got rid of 6 of those pounds but I wanted to lose more so I looked at the kitchen and then and joined WW. Lost 8lbs in 3 weeks...current weight 145. Almost halfway there!!! But I don't think I will ever be in danger of going into the "underweight" BMI category. My BMI tends to be high. My GOAL weight of 130 puts my BMI at 22. My BMI has been as high as 28, borderline "obese" even though my highest pants size was a 10 (not even considered plus-sized). Currently I am a size 6 (still fit into my size 8 pants but they are getting very loose, and most size 6s are fitting well) and my BMI is 25, which is pretty high into the "overweight" category...so screw BMI lol. When I was 20 lbs less than I am now during my senior year in high school, which is my lowest weight since 7th grade, people were worried I was too skinny. And I was still a few BMI points over "underweight." Anyway I would be willing to get down tothat again if it meant a huge jump in running speed though, but I don't think my frame could support much less than that!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

never run

So far this morning: oatmeal with brown sugar, one yogurt, 2 molasses cookies, chicken with potatoes and half of a baguette covered with butter. This trying to maintain weight thing is harder than running itself... Now, what to have for lunch? Big grin

You missed the chocolate food group with breakfast so I think you need that with lunch.

Actually if I were you I wouldn't worry right now but if the trend continues I'd think of seeing a doc and a sports nutritionist.

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

13-15.  I'm currently at 193, and was running well last year at just over 185, and knew I could afford to lose 5 more at that point to get to 180.  That takes the BMI from 28.9 to 27.0-still overweight by their reckoning.  I might be able to get down to 175 healthily, but I'd be in a 'let's see' pattern at each benchmark.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

flarunner

happylily-

You might want to not focus on BMI (as that is really used as a guideline for a population instead of an individual) and rather look at your BMR, your activity level and how many grams of each macro nutrient you need for that activity level.

RSX

I'm trying to lose 10 to get down to 180 at 5'10". I have been trying to get there via weights, and running for a while after ignoring the metabolism theory of eating less as we get older. My times got faster over the last 5 years when I added more muscle but know that 180 has worked even better for me in the past. So lately I am eating less, and don't drink beer all that much.

1 of the fastest guys in my club is around the same height and weighed 170. He is running Boston, and thought that it would be a good idea to gain 10 pounds of muscle which he did to get even faster. Now he is rethinking that strategy as he slowed down a tad, and will probably shoot for 175.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Not to change subjects, but people with slow metabolisms can't help it - a person such as this has 2 options:

1) Be very selective of what they eat; or

2) Balloon to 200+ lbs.

From personal experience, it's not that you don't want to eat.

(Hell in my old days, I could put away 100 wings at a bar no problem...however, I was 245 lbs....)

Yeah, another Hobbit! A double serving of oatmeal for me, tall glass of orange juice, a bagel with peanut butter, 2 cups of coffee, a big handful of whole wheat pretzels, a hunk of sharp cheddar cheese, a pear and lunch is still 2 hours away. Today I'll be taking an interviewee out for lunch to a nearby restaurant and already know I'm having the big portion of Southwestern tortellini (with chicken, black beans, etc) with garlic bread.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

LRB

I get so hungry and will even wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm starving if I try to keep it down too much.

Luckily for me, once I crash the hunger pangs stop and I can actually go through the night and complete my run in the morning without anything else.  If however I stay woke, uh yeah; food will get eaten!

BenTN

I'm 5' 11", currently 156 lbs, about 22 BMI and 10 to 11% bf. I've been staying in the 150 to 160 range for 5 years. My best races were at 150.

I'd like to try racing at 145 but not badly enough to get there.  I seem to have a governor 150 and the weight loss stops. Hey, I'm 56 y/o and at my HS graduation weight...I can live with that.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I'd love to lose just 5 lbs for racing purposes, but I've been stuck at the same weight for months now. Sad The BMI shows as normal, though, and even with losing those 5 lbs I would still be within the normal range.

cmb4314

I'd love to lose just a little bit, 5lbs maybe?

Realistically, I'm 5'11", 152 right now, which gives me a BMI of 21.2.  Right in the middle of normal.  I'd have to lose 20 lbs to get to "underweight" - I can see where 5, even 10lbs would come from, but 20?  I'd be skin and bones.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Walk-Jogger

I'm 5'7" and holding at 132-133 lbs, for a BMI of 20.8. I've been at 6% body fat the last three times I've had it tested. I'd be willing to go up or down as much as 5 lbs maybe, if I knew it would make me run faster.

I've already cut way back on my upper-body workouts in the interest of running faster, and have probably lost 1 or 2 lbs of upper body muscle as a result - I use to crank out 60 or 70 push-ups and 11 or 12 pull-ups with out any trouble, and now it a struggle to get to 50 & 8, but I feel like I'm at my optimum running weight, as a non-marathoner. I get the occasional comment that I'm too thin, but next to my DW who is also a runner and has a BMI of 17.1 (so technically underweight) I don't feel thin at all. She's downright scrawny, and I tell her to eat more all the time. Her doctors are OK with her weight and health though, so who am I to tell her different. 

Retired &  Loving It

B-Plus

I dunno, but I hope I don't lose anymore. I was normally 150-155 before taking up running. When I started to run regularly, my weight went down to about 140. Then I stopped running for 1.5 years and shot up to 165. A little over a year ago I gave up meat and lost about 5 lbs. Then in May I started running again and now I'm 133 lbs. It was really expensive weight loss so I don't want to lose or gain much more.

happylily

You're all making me feel like a walking skeleton. Big grin Hopefully there is something wrong with my scale. I'd better check into that...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

BenTN

You're all making me feel like a walking skeleton. Big grin Hopefully there is something wrong with my scale. I'd better check into that...

Lilly, It's been a while you'll have to submit new pic's. Big grin

happylily

Lilly, It's been a while you'll have to submit new pic's. Big grin

Pics of my pitiful ribs? I don't think so. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010