Beginners and Beyond

How much of a weight loss would you be willing to accept? (Read 273 times)

I am trying to lose 10 lbs to get back to my PR weight. I could probably be faster if I'd lose 15, but not sure if I'll get there.

My marathon PR was set when I was 10 lbs lighter and only averaging 40 mpw. This recent cycle I ran 9 min slower than my PR at the 10 lbs heavier weight, averaging 50 mpw (last cycle I was probably 8 lbs higher than now and ran ~23 min slower than PR). And no, the weight gain is not muscle. I'm at an age where one loses muscle, and I have a spare tire around my midsection that I didn't have when I ran my PRs. I'm pretty much in the middle of normal BMI. Losing the extra 10 again would put me closer to lower end of normal, but still comfortably within normal. I do not have a thin runner-shaped body, though, always been kind of muscular (thick calves!) and will probably never be underweight BMI.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

MrNamtor

When I was really lean (for me) last summer at the peak of my training for chicago urbanathlon, i had a BMI of 23, which is high normal/ approaching "overweight". At that point, some people were telling me i was too skinny.  I felt strong, but I was always hungry. My BMI is about 25 now, overweight

Dr. Cornsitter

For Dave, my lifting coach. Big grin

Is that scrawny or am I still a bit muscular? Or both? Undecided I think that for BMI to say that I'm way underweight is a bit exaggerated...

Forgive my disheveled hair and my un-cooperating left arm.lol... It was very early in the morning. And I ran 16 miles late last night and so was a little tired when I took the picture. Big grin

Are those lulu pants? Big grin

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

happylily

Are those lulu pants? Big grin

Yes!! And I get to work in them everyday. They are so comfortable! I hate yoga, btw. Big grin

Shari, in all the pics I have seen of you, your legs look very slim. I have no idea where your could lose more weight from. You are taller than me and very slim already.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

You look great Lily. You are not anorexic, you eat, you are a runner. To hell with numbers and scales. As long as you know you are eating and are able to keep up with your workouts, I wouldn't worry so much.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

happylily

Thanks, Hilary. :-) Anyway, I figure it must be normal to lose a few pounds during training. After my marathon in April, I'll cut my mileage down and probably gain 6-7 lbs back. So no worries, yet. Smile

Nevrgivup

I would think its totally normal to lose weight while training. For me, I've developed more muscle over the years and know that I weigh the way I do because of this. I was looking at my legs from my first HM back in 2007 and compared to my recent race pic, my legs are so much more defined and muscular. I used to freak out over a couple of pound gain, but now I'm not so crazy about it.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Better I Leave

For Dave, my lifting coach. Big grin

Is that scrawny or am I still a bit muscular? Or both? Undecided I think that for BMI to say that I'm way underweight is a bit exaggerated...

Forgive my disheveled hair and my un-cooperating left arm.lol... It was very early in the morning. And I ran 16 miles late last night and so was a little tired when I took the picture. Big grin

Looking good there Lily. Keep up the good work. Smile

Lily you look amazing!

My BMI is 23. I'm healthy and I'm happy with the way I look, so the only reason I would want to lose weight is to run faster, and honestly to me it's just not worth the effort. I don't train all that hard, so there are a ton of things that I could do to get faster that sound more fun that dieting.

To answer the original question, in some hypothetical world where I could be accidentally underweight, I would happily accept being a little scrawny if I were still healthy. I like the way I look now but I wouldn't mind experiencing "racing weight" either.

Auhugh!!

StepbyStep-SH

Yes!! And I get to work in them everyday. They are so comfortable! I hate yoga, btw. Big grin

Shari, in all the pics I have seen of you, your legs look very slim. I have no idea where your could lose more weight from. You are taller than me and very slim already.

The weight isn't in my legs, either. It's all in my ass. I have a 10" difference between my waist measurement and my hip measurement, so while I look great from the waist up, and I love my calves, a photo of me like the one you just posted would look really bad because of my pear shape.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

The weight isn't in my legs, either. It's all in my ass. I have a 10" difference between my waist measurement and my hip measurement, so while I look great from the waist up, and I love my calves, a photo of me like the one you just posted would look really bad because of my pear shape.

You know Shari, to a lot of people here, and everywhere else for that matter, a bigger tush is far better. :-) But I know how you feel, we all have body parts we'd love to return to the manufacturer.

Docket_Rocket

Lily, you look great.  I wouldn't worry about a pesky number.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

paulski66

miscreant

Given that I'm on the upper end of normal I would certainly accept a decent amount to get faster. I can't imagine being light enough to be "underweight"... it's a long way off from where I am now.

+1

I lose 10 pounds with every marathon training cycle, then gain it back afterwards. But even with losing the 10 pounds, I feel I could optimally lose another 10.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Jess Calloway

Aesthetically, though, I am starting to look a bit too scrawny, especially from the waist up. Oddly, I don't seem to care about it greatly.

You mean other than posting a thread about it, a whole bunch of posts about it, and posting photos of yourself?  Other than that you don't care about it.

Jess Calloway

Aesthetically, though, I am starting to look a bit too scrawny, especially from the waist up. Oddly, I don't seem to care about it greatly.

You mean other than posting a thread about it, a whole bunch of posts about it, and posting photos of yourself?  Other than that you don't care about it.