Beginners and Beyond

How much of a weight loss would you be willing to accept? (Read 273 times)

Hip Redux

It is, on the east side!

Tomato, tomahto, potato, potahto.  Just take it and run with it.  ; )

Attention ho just has such a nice ring to it. :P

LRB

Attention ho just has such a nice ring to it. :P

I like you.  You're my kind of girl...mascot.  Cool

My contribution... I would love to lose 20lbs which would place me at 24.4 BMI.   . Currently, I weigh 185 at 5'9"   BMI at 27.3 (overweight) compared to just over 200 before I started running.    Of course the DW will be the final judge regarding weight loss is beneficial in her eyes.  Smile

Naturally, I assume my speed will improve with weight loss.

I have a 5K goal race in September which I need to beat the boss's' time from last year.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

MrNamtor

nice avatar  Is that the new LRB lite?

MrNamtor

My contribution... I would love to lose 20lbs which would place me at 24.4 BMI.   . Currently, I weigh 185 at 5'9"   BMI at 27.3 (overweight) compared to just over 200 before I started running.    Of course the DW will be the final judge regarding weight loss is beneficial in her eyes.  Smile

Naturally, I assume my speed will improve with weight loss.

I have a 5K goal race in September which I need to beat the boss's' time from last year.

I'm about your height and I also was close to 200 at some point. My leanest weight was about 152-154 and people were starting to tell me i looked too skinny. I felt good, but also I would say I felt hungry all the time. At my current weight that hovers around 162-165 I feel really good and am not hungry. I also don't have binge-eating episodes the way i would at a lower weight.

You have to really feel it out and be honest with yourself when figuring out what your ideal weight is. In my opinion, even though you're faster at a really low weight, in the long run, if that weight is too low for you, it won't be sustainable and you run the risk of bouncing back up and becoming overweight again.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I'm not fast enough to give a shit. Bring on the wine!

In all seriousness, I would like to drop 10 pounds, but I don't know if I care enough to change my lifestyle to do so.

Luke79

Good to see you Flippy.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Good to see you Flippy.

hi Luke!! Smile

happylily

I think that BMI has shown on many occasions that it wrongly categorize people. My husband is 5'10', 160 lbs. He has slim legs and very narrow hips, with a V shape and broad shoulders. He's very muscular in the upper body. His BMI is 24, not too far from being overweight, which is ridiculous. He looks to me like he should be at 21 BMI. So really, there must be several factors that BMI does not take into consideration.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

flarunner

BMI is used as a guideline for a population. It is not intended to be used as a finite number for an individual.

BF% is used to determine how much of what you weigh. How much you weigh is not that important, but rather the make up of that total body weight.

Determining BF% is not exact, no matter how it's done. In fact, one doesn't measure body fat, but rather body density and then various formulas are used to determine body fat percentage.

There is normally a standard deviation of plus or minus 3 to 4 percentage points when body fat is determined. So a body fat percentage of 15% could be anywhere from 11% to 19%.

The only way to get an accurate determination of body fat weight is to take it out and weigh it. Kinda hard to do with live subjects. Wink

Underwater (hydrostatic) weighing is considered the best method of determining body density/body fat. But there are still a ton of extraneous variables involved. For example: It's really difficult to expel all the air out of the lungs and then go under water and stay still while the measurement is taken.

Skinfold calipers are only as good as the calipers themselves and the person doing the measuring. Plastic calipers cannot be calibrated and therefore are extremely inaccurate. The person wielding the calipers should have done the testing around 1,000 times (measured, marked, tested) before being considerd an expert. At that point, their measurement of body fat from the skinfold fat should be pretty close to that from underwater weighing.

happylily

To anyone interested, send me pics of yourself wearing nothing but underwear, along with $50.00 in cash, and I'll tell you if you're fat. My test is 100% guaranteed too. Big grin

LRB

BMI is used as a guideline for a population. It is not intended to be used as a finite number for an individual.

BF% is used to determine how much of what you weigh. How much you weigh is not that important, but rather the make up of that total body weight.

Determining BF% is not exact, no matter how it's done. In fact, one doesn't measure body fat, but rather body density and then various formulas are used to determine body fat percentage.

There is normally a standard deviation of plus or minus 3 to 4 percentage points when body fat is determined. So a body fat percentage of 15% could be anywhere from 11% to 19%.

The only way to get an accurate determination of body fat weight is to take it out and weigh it. Kinda hard to do with live subjects. Wink

Underwater (hydrostatic) weighing is considered the best method of determining body density/body fat. But there are still a ton of extraneous variables involved. For example: It's really difficult to expel all the air out of the lungs and then go under water and stay still while the measurement is taken.

Skinfold calipers are only as good as the calipers themselves and the person doing the measuring. Plastic calipers cannot be calibrated and therefore are extremely inaccurate. The person wielding the calipers should have done the testing around 1,000 times (measured, marked, tested) before being considered an expert. At that point, their measurement of body fat from the skinfold fat should be pretty close to that from underwater weighing.

Quoted in it's entirety because it's for real yo.

I always say around 10 to 12% or around 12 to 13% for my body fat (or whatever the case may be) for the exact reasons you stated.

LRB

nice avatar  Is that the new LRB lite?

Nah, just messin' around.

happylily

Nah, just messin' around.

It is nice, though.

Dr. Cornsitter

To anyone interested, send me pics of yourself wearing nothing but underwear, along with $50.00 in cash, and I'll tell you if you're fat. My test is 100% guaranteed too. Big grin

Soooo????? What do you think?

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.