Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins - Break Out Your Old Spirograph! (Read 233 times)

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!

Got my 5.5 easy last night.  My hammy, or whatever it is that's acting up, didn't feel any different when I was running than not, so I think it's just some new muscle that I discovered after my LR Saturday.  I will dial back today's run a bit.  Instead of 2x2 @ tempo, I am going to run 2x2@HMP.  And I might end up just running easy miles instead, depending on my warmup.

Gustav- Isn't today the day you finally have your ankle appointment?  Good luck if so!

D- Glad to see you back to kickboxing and everything just 2 days post-Goofy!

kristin- Good luck with the RD.  I hope you are able to get some answers soon.

Awood- Glad you're back to feeling strong again!

Jen- Hope you're able to run outside!

Nightcrawler- I'm with you.  I get giddy for an actual snow day!

Zeke- Hope the medication makes a world of difference on your run!

Scotty- Poor kitty!  Hope that the wound isn't too serious and that he's feeling better soon!  And thanks for sharing that perpective.

Bill- Hope the roads are OK for you on your way home!

Traci- Stay safe out there!

Zelanie

Pewpewpew- Haha!  The truth comes out!

From the Internet.

With all of our penguins lifting weights and kickboxing, I think we should challenge another daily thread to a fight.

Ha, we should! If my test run on Thursday goes badly I'll be itching for a fight :P

Gonna do 10-15 minutes on either the bike or the elliptical this afternoon followed by weights at the gym - it'll be my first time using a barbell instead of dumbbells! Surprised Curious to see if I'll be able to lift more since I won't need to stabilize the individual sides.

Kristin, resting totally sucks Sad Hope your knee heals up quickly. I agree that if you can find another way to get your exercise in until you can run again it'll help a lot, at least mentally. Ice, stretch, foam roll, strengthen.

Aw Scotty, hope your kitty heals quickly too!

Jen16226

Good morning all!

Well I wound up hitting the treadmill instead of the trail last night.  It was just too chilly out for me.  I have sinus issues and running outdoors when it is too cold kills me and just coming off a sinus infection, I just didn't want to chance it.

But I got my 3 miles done and then this morning I got up (because I usually do my running in the AM) and did intervals for 35 minutes.  I was VERY happy that I had no discomfort from my hammy, so hopefully I can start going back to normal....whatever that is.

Not much else for me today.....work and just trying to continue doing well with my eating.  I am an overweight penguin and changed my eating habits back in November, then the holidays hit and it was just ugly, then New Years hit me with the flu and while I was riding the couch, I watched a documentary on netflix called Forks over Knives that was just great and it inspired me to get back on track with my eating.

Gustav- I am glad you feel a bit better this morning.  Take care in the gym.  Maybe we need to have a competition to see who on here can make the best spirograph type drawing with their runs! LOL

Damaris- Have a great workout tonight!  Also, I really enjoyed your RR!

Awood- Count me in on any fight challenge!  I don't know where you live, but I know there seem to be several Valentine's races coming up.

Jen2011- Yuck on the freezing rain....take it indoors if you can.  No need to chance a fall....but I say that as a total wimp!  I have blown out both of my knees over the years and just 2 and 2 1/2 years ago had to have both of my knees operated on, so I am terrified of running outdoors in the winter if there is any snow or ice.

Nightcrawler- enjoy the fluffy stuff!

Zeke- Good luck with your run!

Scotty- awww poor kitty!!!  I hope that all is well with him.  I am a lover of all gods creatures and have 3 furbabies at home (a Maine Coon, a Tuxedo and then a Sheltie).

Bill- enjoy your rest day.

Tracilyn- Can you look for a replacement treadmill on craigslist?  or even better, would your neighbor let you use it? LOL

Zelanie- Glad that your leg was feeling good!  Hammy injuries suck!

Dave- My uncle was a flight deck coordinator for MANY years and have heard stories so be careful running the deck.  I will have to tell him about Starbucks being onboard now (if he didn't know it) just to see his reaction! LOL

Tori......where are you!?

Alright.....I have to get back to work.

I hope everyone has a great day!!!!!

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

Don't let asthma get you down. I've been running with it for years.  I'm not bad ass like Damaris but I do okay.  Smile   I'm not an expert on the subject but I can give you some advice from years of experience of living/running with it. I am not a doctor, nor do I claim to be one so remember that if you follow my advice (Okay, got my disclaimer out of the way). The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body.  It will tell you when to slow down or quit or when not to run at all.  Listen to it. I don't care how many miles you have left in your run for the day or how many you were trying to end the week with.  It's not worth risking your health (or possibly your life) over a few miles.  Plus I NEVER run without my inhaler because I never know when I'm going to need it but then again I never go anywhere without my inhaler for the same reason.  If you follow this then you will be just fine.   

I'm sure Damaris can give you some advice/tips as well.

Good Morning Penguins

AFM – Today will be my first run after getting diagnosed with asthma and being on medication.  Hoping the ability to breathe better helps my running!  Breathing and running…what a crazy combo!  LOL

Don't believe everything you think. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!
              I remember the spirograph!  Fun times, though I always made a mistake somewhere, pushing too hard or not hard enough.  Well, the Amish believe that only God can make perfection, so they introduce an intentional mistake into everything they do, just in case.  So that's what I claim to do too.  So there.  Didn't get to either a swim or a run yesterday, work was aggravating and I needed to be around.  I doubt I'll do either today, I have seminar this afternoon, and we're supposed to have rain/snow mix tonight.  Oh well.

Gustav -- hope your head doesn't explode!

Docket -- have fun on your "SRD"!!

kristin -- I downloaded a yoga video from yogatoday.com, for knee therapy.  It was $5, but it's helped my right knee some.  My left knee was a bit twingy also, and it's fine now.  I'll see if I can find a link ...

awood -- I think we should challenge IMTPT.  I think we can take them!

Jen -- have fun with your TM miles, and avoid the freezing rain!!

Nightcrawler -- enjoy the fluffy stuff!!

Zeke -- hope the meds cure all your woes!!

scotty -- hope Peanut gets his paw fixed!!

Bill -- don't fall asleep listening to the rain!!

traci -- just go over to your neighbor's and hop on the TM!!

Pew -- laughing that you've busted awood!!

Zelanie -- good on your for listening to your body!!

Lauren -- have a good workout!!

Jen -- woo-hoo for getting your miles in despite the chilly weather!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

kristin, here's the link to the video.  You have to create a login, and then you can purchase and download the class.

Knee therapy yoga video

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Hey all, yesterday ended up being an URD, had to take DW to doctor. I think she's getting the crud that's going around. I'll try for the same WO today that was planned for yesterday. I'll check in later.

His Slowness

Where do you live Bill? I'm in Huntsville.

I live in Hartselle and work in Huntsville.  We're neighbors!

Bill

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I'm sorry if I seem super whiny. I do not have access to an indoor pool. I don't really have the money right now for an additional YMCA membership, and the nearest Y is not close enough anyway to be able to go before work. What is frustrating is we have an indoor pool AT wotk but employees can't use it for personal use because of sone liability. I already asked. grr. And scotty my doctor wouldn't even look

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

arg smartphone.... continued: the doctor wouldnt even look at or talk about my knee. He thinks it's my fault for engaging in the awful activity of running and I should just stop running. I got an orthopedic doctor referral from him, but the scheduling secretary hasn't called me back yet. grr

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

From the Internet.

Whoa! Maybe I'll be able to fix my body after all!

So at the beginning of December I spent a night in the ER because my heart was racing. Calmed down by the time they finally got me hooked up to the EKG and they didn't see anything abnormal after that, so they sent me home with instructions to follow up with my primary care doctor. Her office just called me with results from my follow-up bloodwork and said my magnesium levels are low, so I have to take a supplement for a week and repeat the bloodwork after that.

Fun fact: From a quick Google search, low magnesium can cause irregular heartbeat, and it can also contribute to shin splints! Maybe that was part of my problem along with the weak hip!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

that's good news lauren!

oh and hopesmom if you find the video link for the yoga let me know!

Singer who runs a smidge

Look 7 posts above yours ...  Joking