Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins and the lack of a catchy title... (Read 34 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ice jams!  Dang, Gustav, that sounds like it's awfully cold where you are!   Glad everything kicked in for you and you had a good run.  Hope you feel better, and can keep the cold, or whatever it is, at bay.   Hey, you may also be experiencing a touch of SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder - which a lot of folks experience in winter, when the weather is cold and dreary.

You still got snow up there, Jerry?   Hope your run went well and safely.   Enjoy the matinee!

Wow, LRB, if you did leave your puter on the top of the car....that thing will really be 'hacked'!   Are you worried about something?  Cuz you're way too young yet to start getting absent-minded already.

Gee, Damaris, are you even allowed to eat bacon without a uterus? 

It's probably even hotter than where Damaris is.  I don't see how Gail does it.  But she loves it and she really does get in super shape from it!  And I get to reap some of the benefits.

and had a strange temp change. PAD, maybe you were having a hot flash...just what kind of weird meds/supplements are you on? 

and apparently did something wrong with one of my lifts. My neck and around both shoulders is hurting so bad it kept me up most of the night.    Ouch!  Jimmy, if your neck, etc, are hurting that bad, I would suggest not running till you feel better/see a doc, cuz the "jarring" impact from running might make your problem worse.   Hope you feel better soon!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Hi Pengs! I'm resting today as far as running. I think I'll do some stretching and rolling here soon. I'm at the car dealer getting an oil change on the wife's Jeep.

Jimmy, hope the pain is not serious, as in an injury.

I ran 3 miles this morning.  I love mornings.  The birds are chirping.  Everyone is so cheerful.

Awood, congrats on kicking tobacco!

Zelanie

Morning!  Planning to get my LR (13) done after work today so that I will have a little more time on my weekend.

Gustav- Hang in there!  I think we all feel that way from time to time, but then there are also all those runs that are just pure joy with every step.  Maybe you're due for one of those soon.

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning, Friday Penguins!!  I have a lot to do today, since I managed to track down my instrument problem yesterday to a tripped fuse on the UPS.  I reset it and got both instrument started again, but they'll both need to be checked and calibrated today.  Plus a conference call at 2, busy busy!  I'm glad it's Friday, but our quartet has coaching tomorrow, so there will be no rest for the really really weary ...

Awood -- you are doing GREAT with the tobacco avoidance!  If the race sounds fun, why not run it?

kristin -- woo-hoo for impending yoga!!

D2 -- Virratas, I haven't even heard of them!

scotty -- what beautiful weather!!  Enjoy the RD!!

Gustav -- 8.2 and not feeling it, that's dedication!!

Jerryb -- enjoy the run and the movie!!

LRB -- definitely a "more coffee" day!!

Docket -- If your 7 is later, good luck!!  If already done, woo-hoo!!

PAD -- weird weather!!  Woo-hoo for your 5!!

jblack -- wow, sounds like no fun!!  Hope everything settles down soon!!

hog -- have a good rest day!!

OFS -- woo-hoo for your 3!!

Zelanie -- wow, 13 after a day's work?  Hardcore!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Quick check in for me.

Zel: You are very disciplined to wait until October for a marathon. With all those miles you are getting in, I would be ready to go NOW!  Well done...

Busy weekend for me. Youngest DD has a 3 day swim meet which starts tonight and goes until Sunday. My band is playing tomorrow night until 1:00am and then I have to get up on Sunday morning for more swim meet. I hope to get at least one or two runs in. Today is a rest day and I can't wait for my massage next Thursday! Man, my calves and upper glutes are sore and rolling them is torture.

Have a good weekend.

SheCan

Awood-- I know you've probably said before, but did you use chewing tobacco?  Is that what you're giving up?  Addictions suck. I know once you've conquered this, you will indeed be much happier and will be pleased to not be a slave to the craving.   As far as the trail 5k, go for it!  Good luck to you; just don't trip!

kristin-- yay@ getting to do yoga again. I don't blame you for being excited.  You really are getting better.

Hi ya Dave!

Gus-- Glad you started feeling better on the run.  I get like that too, where my head just isn't in the game, and having a good run where things click, really does seem to help.

Scotty-- that sounds like some lovely weather!  Good job on the miles yesterday and good luck this weekend.

Jerry-- enjoy your run and let me know whatcha think of that movie.

LRB-- gotta wonder where your head was this morning.  I sure hope your 'puter wasn't on top of the car either.  We sure wouldn't wanna see a grown man cry today.

*waves @ Docket*  Hey ya girl!

PAD-- good job on the 5.  I don't mind those sudden higher temps in the winter nearly as much as I do during the summer.

jimmy-- ouch!  I sure hope that pain goes away quickly.   Ibuprofen might have to be your best friend for the next few days.

Hi ya, Mitch and OFS, and Zelanie!

Jack-- You should have someone record your band for us sometime!  Have fun with your busy weekend.

Did 8 miles today on the trail.  Love getting out on beautiful days like today.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

She Can - Yep, 18  years of chewing.  Now, that I see the weather outside, I may skip this one.  There is 12-18 inches of melting snow turning the ground into mud.  Without some yak trax or something, I'd probably just get frustrated.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm at the car dealer getting an oil change on the wife's Jeep.  OK, the way this was worded, I immediately got a mental image of you lying across your wife's jeep - like hunters lay their deers out over their trucks, lol - while you get lathered  with oil...   Enjoy your rest day, Mitch!

Good luck with your 13, Zelanie!  Hope your weather has improved a bit for you.

Busy time for you, HsM.  Try to work a few hours of sleep in there somewhere.

All that, and you're going to try and run too?  Good luck with that, Jack!

Congrats on the 8 trail miles, Cherie!  And just how beautiful is your day today?  Winter already leaving?  It does snow in parts of Arizona, doesn't it?

There is 12-18 inches of melting snow turning the ground into mud.  Yuck!  Go out in that stuff, Awood, you'll probably be sucked into some kind of earthy muddy vortex, disappear below ground, and end up in China! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Awood - have fun at your 5k tomorrow.  Is there a lot of snow on the ground that you'll be running in, or will it just be mud?  Good job on quitting the tobacco.  Quitting smoking was one of the smartest things I ever did. It was a long time ago, and I think of all the money I've saved, not to mention getting my lungs back.

Kristin - enjoy yoga tonight.  Don't you get rid of your boot completely tomorrow?

Dave - good job on the early 8.

Scotty - your run yesterday sounds lovely.  Have fun tomorrow at your race.

Gustav - I'm glad your run last night turned around.  Wearing your running gear was smart, since it prevented you from using lack of clothes as an excuse not to go.  I think I would have used the dentist appt. as excuse enough.  Funny how sometimes all of a sudden something clicks and you stop fighting every step and the joy comes back.

Damaris - how long is the bacon race?  Do you know how long you'll be off running yet?

LRB - hope the computer is safely at home on a table somewhere.

PAD - nice warm up.  Were you wearing shorts and tshirt for that?

Jerry - enjoy your movie and wet run.  Is it raining there today, or snowing?

Jimmy - I hope the neck and shoulders feel better soon.  Can your wife do massage on it?

Mitch - enjoy your rest day.

OFS - I'm glad you enjoyed your morning run.  I used to enjoy morning hikes, but that was in summer, not winter.  In winter I always wanted to wait until it warmed up.

Z - I assume you get off pretty early on Fridays.  No after school meetings?  Enjoy your long run.

Hopes Mom - good thing you got your instruments working again, but what a pain.  Have fun singing this weekend.

Jack - can you run during the meets, or do you need to be there to cheer DD on?

Cherie - a trail run in the sun sounds nice right now.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: Have you ever been to a track meet? Swim meets are the same thing; "hurry up and wait." Lots of sitting around, napping, reading, two minutes of cheering, talking with other parents, etc... I have done some runs during meets but only when was training for something specific and I didn't want to miss a workout. Now, I am just rebuilding my mpw and I'm in dire need of a massage so if I don't run it's not a big deal.

She Can: There is a video somewhere. I will see if I can get in on youtube.

SheCan

Congrats on the 8 trail miles, Cherie!  And just how beautiful is your day today?  Winter already leaving?  It does snow in parts of Arizona, doesn't it?

Sunny and in the 50s when I ran.  Yes, it does snow in parts of AZ, usually places with altitude, like here with an altitude of 4500-5000 ft.  It snows usually about 2 times a year, but doesn't stick though we do have snow in the mountains almost all winter.

TodayJan 10

Sunny

60°F

38°F

Sunny

<dl><dt>CHANCE OF RAIN: 0%</dt></dl>

SatJan 11

Sunny

70°

42°

Sunny

SunJan 12

Partly Cloudy

67°

36°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt></dl>

MonJan 13

Sunny

64°

36°

Sunny

TueJan 14

Sunny

65°

36°

Sunny

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Mmmmm...beer

HM, they're from Saucony, zero drop, lightweight, love 'em!  Here are the ones I have, definitely going to get some more:

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Nice!!

Just got off my conference call, and I think my instrument is all retuned and calibrated, so that's all good.  Now if only I could stay awake ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

on my way to badass

Hello Penguins!

Awood Runner-Congrats on kicking tobacco!

Did 6 miles today.  I'll call it a long run.  I had a tough time with a couple of hills.  Tomorrow I will be able to do an easy run and get my 20 miles for the week.  Assuming the weather doesn't throw me a curve ball.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28