Beginners and Beyond

The Marshall University Marathon. A wall of wind is still a wall. (Read 148 times)

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

Given that you asked to go on IR two weeks ago, I am amazed at your accomplishment.

That, and you have the best closing line of a RR ever.

Love the Half

Docket - Heh.  I thought that last sentence might be a bit entertaining.

Hog:  Trying to decide on my next goal.  I may post about it and get input.

Jack  Thanks.  Whether or not I know what I'm talking about, I make it sound like I do.  Big grin

Redrum:  I honestly don't know for sure what happened to the Three Amigos.  For whatever reason, official results haven't posted.  The leader finished a few seconds in front of me.  The other two were closing on me with about half a mile left until I heard one SOB tell the other runner to "catch that guy", referring to me.  Big mistake as I hate getting caught.  I think I put 5-10 seconds on them but I'll find out when results are released.

Cat:  That's kind of what I'm trying to decide.  Do I target a spring marathon or go into 5K training as originally planned?

Baboon:  Yeah, it was miserable.  I don't think I've ever had a good race when I felt like shit the whole time.  I have no explanation.

Venom:  Thanks.

TJ:  Thanks

Robert:  No one is more surprised than me given the back problem.

Awood:  Hell, I didn't think I could make it happen.  I honestly didn't think sub 3:00 was possible until I was in the last 200 yards.

Lily:  Just for you.  1:29:54 first half and 1:29:48 second half.  6 second negative split.  Joking

Hobbit:  I agree about the best part.

Mike:  Unless I decide to just run some more marathons for fun as I did in Boston, and I may well do that, I don't think I'll ever race more than one a year and I may well have years that I don't race any.  Both the training and the race take so much out of me.  Hell, I can barely walk today.

Lauren:  Thanks.  One of the things I have focused on over the last year or two is "mental toughness."  I had found myself cutting workouts short and skipping long runs, etc.  I suppose that focus played out on race day.

Dto2nd:  I agree.  There is no way I lay down the last mile at a 6:24 pace without the miles I put in.  That paid off in spades.

TakeaHike:  I still have no explanation for how I was able to do what I did on a day when I felt "off" all day.

Blue:  Thanks.

FreeSoul:  My shower this morning was less than pleasant.

Van:  Thanks.

WIP:  Stay tuned for the next focus.

Phillie:  Nah.  Not that tough.  I just get mad at myself sometimes.

Jack:  Here's the carb load as best as I recall.  Breakfast was 4 buttermilk pancakes followed by a big slab of homemade bread.  Throughout the day, I drank 4 quart bottles of Gatorade and ate 5 packets of PowerGel Blasts.  Those packages have 200 calories and 46 grams of carbs each.  I had a massive pile of mashed potatoes at lunch.  Dinner was a huge plate of spaghetti and not the whole wheat variety that I usually eat.  I wanted quick digestion.  I also ate a ton of candy during the day.  To get a full carb load, you need 500 grams and that's 3,500 calories just in carbs.  That doesn't count any calories you eat in protein and fat.  The bottom line is there is no way you'll take in 500 grams of carbs in just food.  You've got to have some concentrated sugar from somewhere.  I mixed double strength Gatorade for my last raced marathon prep.

Pink:  Thanks.  I have an appointment with my family doctor on Thursday and I'm going to get a referral to an orthopedist.  Time to find out what the hell is really going on with my left thigh.

Rabbit:  Thanks

jblack:  Thanks.  I wonder about that myself.

She Can:  Thanks.  It was great having them there.

Kristin:  I think it's important for runners to share their experiences.  A lot of what I know about running has come from other runners sharing both good and bad experiences they had.

Oski:  I now fold clothes on the ironing board while I'm standing up.

CRL:  Thanks.  Heh.  I liked that closing myself.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Lily:  Just for you.  1:29:54 first half and 1:29:48 second half.  6 second negative split.  Joking

You are a cruel, cruel man. Big grin One day, I will show you what I am really capable of. Just give me time. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Awesome race report and congrats on reaching your goal! Running is fun, training is challenging, but racing is suffering - if it is a 5k or 26.2 if you ain't hurtin and sucking wind, you're not giving it your all. Congrats! Happy Veterans Day.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

That was great, way to tough it out, wow.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice report, wow!  Dang, 4:44 pace, I wouldn't even be standing up anymore!  Congrats on your marathon and way to push it at the end!  You, sir, epitomize "Never Give Up!"

So great that your family surprised you, what a great way to finish!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

BruceD555

HUGE congrats on an excellent race and the deep spelunking trip into the pain cave - it's a wonder you found your way out. I'm sill shaking my head at how you managed to hold everything together since it sounds like you never hit your groove even during the early miles. Running that little negative split in spite of the pain and the wind is even more astounding. Kudos on finding a will and a way to overcome the back and finish in the sub 3 club. BTW, the "Hi Daddy" line is priceless.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LtH; Thanks for the carb load menu. I am definitely going to use some of that advice, though I don't think I can eat four pancakes in one sitting, especially if they are the plate sized variety!  Damn, that is a lot of food!

Ric-G

brad - congrats on your xlnt result!  funny how we never know how things will go on race day. but it goes to show how preparation and mental toughness can make up for tough conditions. need to get a pic of you in the elmo chair wearing the medal Smile....and it was great that your family was there too. take care and soak it up, enjoy the recovery.

marathon pr - 3:16

Love the Half

Ric, that's the best idea I've heard.  I swear I will do that when I get home tonight and I'll post it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

awesome- way to go. the opening line is classic.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

LRB

Long, narcissistic, attention 'ho version:

FYP.

From where I sit, a marathon vdot value of 53.5 is impressive, and aspiration worthy.

Coastal

Congrats.  Way to fight to the end.  2:55 next?

Zelanie

I am so happy for you that you were able to get to your goal.  I'm hoping to use this RR to keep me going any time I'm 2/3 of the way through a race, feel my goal slipping away, and am having trouble convincing myself to care.  It is quite an accomplishment to come back from that!

Nicely done LtH! I had a hunch you were going to pull this off - you wanted it too much to let a little red puppet and some wind get in your way. Wink

Congratulations.