Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins hate traffic due to "bicycle marathons!" (Read 59 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thread title comes from a conversation the maitre'd had with my dad and I when I met my parents for dinner last night. When he seated us, he commented that traffic on the city was going to be horrible today. "Because the marathon is tomorrow!!!" he said. My dad: "The New York City Marathon, is TOMORROW?!" Maitre'D: "Yes! The bicycle marathon!" He was referring to the Five Borough Bike Tour. To be fair, it is the exact same concept of as the NYCM only the route is basically in reverse (Manhattan to the Bronx to Queens to Brooklyn to SI instead of the exact opposite in the NYCM), and on bikes....but still, found it funny. Now there are not only 5K marathons, but bike marathons too!!!!

So I'm sipping coffee and getting ready for my 5K. Excited and nervous! I have been pretty sick this week and have run very low mileage so we shall see how this goes. I feel about six billion times better today though than I have all week so here's to hoping!

Saw a really cool Broadway show last night with my parents called The Lucky Guy starring Tom Hanks, Maura Tierney, Courtney B. Vance, Christopher McDonald, Peter Gerety, Peter Scolari, Michael Gaston....so many amazing actors!!

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Sloooow.

I love Tom Hanks, so cool! Best of luck with your 5K, Kristin!

Heading to NOLA for race attempt #2. I really wanted to stay in bed, but remembered Just B.S saying that she had never DNSed, so I dragged myself out of bed. Tired and grumpy.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good luck to you too Coralie!

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

good morning penguins!!!!

Enjoying this morning!! Work is going great, I am learning a ton!! Luckily I went to a very good nursing school and had a TON of clinical, I am realizing how much I already know!!! It sure helps!!

Good luck today, Tomas, Kristin!

I have several friend running the Pittsburgh marathon today! Most are running the HM and relay.

I signed up for a HM for the end of October.  (oh.my.god.could.vomit.already.)

I sure hope I can do it. I was glad to find out this week that I won't be working all nights as previously thought!!  A couple nurses that got hired before me, prefer that shift, so I will just be working night shift sporadically.

SOrry I haven't been on much!!!

Have a great day! I work 3-1130 tonight! I really like that shift so far! which surprises me.

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

hog4life

Good luck Kristin, Coralie, Tomas, and anyone else racing.

Scotty, good news about the skin lesions! Race on my friend.

Tori, I sort of like that middle shift too, now that my kids are grown.

I raced (well sort of) an 8k yesterday, RR is posted with a pic if you're bored and want to look. Conditions were awful! I had a very low week due to all kinds of stuff, 14.47, lowest in ages, so I'll start this week with an easy run after church.

Bin Running

Morning all!

Kristin, you had allergic stuff all week. Hope you can still do the race. Take it easy though.

Coralie, good luck with the race.

Tori, your first HM. That will be memorable.

Mitch, off to read your RR in a moment.

Didnt post yday.  Did 8M yday and 14-15m today. Yet to map the run. Certainly a mileage PR as previous record is 50.

Iron man is superb! Y'all should watch it. Not as much action but more humor in this.

Scotty, good news on the test.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning!  I have some advice for you- don't go see Olympus has Fallen.  Just don't.

I might hike or walk today, but at least the yard work is done!

Kristin- I just saw your post on Facebook- congrats on a super race!  You are really getting speedy!

Coralie- Good luck today!

Tori- Signing up for a HM is a great way to keep you focused!

Mitch- Enjoy the easy run.  How is Bella doing?

Bin- Congrats on the mileage PR!  We should have gone to Ironman instead, oh well.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys.... I ran a great race! Especially considering  the allergies got really bad during and my nose started running like a faucet lol. 28:42 according to the Garmin....which is 11 stupid seconds slower than my PR. Oh well....the race was better executed on my part (wait for the RR to see the splits) so I'll take it. Ran 3 additional miles to make it 6.1

hog4life

Zel, Bella is good. The appt on Thurs was just a checkup to see if she was healthy enough for the surgery. So we scheduled it for Tuesday, but after getting a tip at the race yesterday, I called another vet that is $100 cheaper. Made a call to them, and will set up appt for her on Monday. I hate to cancel things, but to save $100, it's a no brainer. I'll post some updates as things progress with her.

Zelanie

Yeah, for stuff like that it can pay to shop around.  Unless some are quoting you prices without different services that they try to add back in day of.  I thought she had the spay last week, that's why I was checking.  We had a terrible time keeping Mia quiet, she had to go back in to get staples because she was nutso.

Sloooow.

33:24!!!!!!!!! 10:46 overall pace, 1:15PR. I'm so happy!

Zelanie

Woohoo Coralie!  How were the temps today?  Are you feeling better about summer running now?

Sloooow.

Temperature is 60, low humidity, sun was brutal. This is the last race I am doing until late autumn though, heat isn't my friend.

Woohoo Coralie!  How were the temps today?  Are you feeling better about summer running now?

hog4life

Congrats on the PR!