Beginners and Beyond

Late for a very important date Tuesday penguins (Read 26 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Am I crazy, or did no one start a thread yet? After yesterday's melt-into-a-puddle hot run, it's RD time for me. What's up with y'all?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I was right behind you in starting one, Obiebyke, but you were ahead of me, so yours is it!

Up at 5 a.m. today and off to the YMCA that is adjacent to O.P. Schnabel Park, a very good local park with both off-road and paved trails.  However, just could not seem to get my motor going this morning.  A very slow 3.1 miles done and it didn't help that it was already 79 degrees, 88% humidity and dew-point of 78 at 5:30 in the morning.  Our temp today is hitting 97 with a heat index of 103, so I'm glad I did go this morning.

At one point this armadillo came out of the woods and scurried along about 4 feet parallel to me, so I got to run with an armadillo for a moment or two.  Funny little creatures.  Saw plenty of deer in the park too, including a fawn and its bounded out of the brush and went across the trail in front of me and onto another trail. .  Luckily, I saw the deer early this time and did not get knocked on my butt.  I got in in my head to follow them and see how long I could keep an eye on them so I went right behind them on the trail they went on.  They were far enough ahead of me so I posed no threat to them but the result of my antics was a kind of crazy "Charlie Chaplin" movie chase, with all of us going every which way on the winding trails, switiching back and forth on several trails, etc. hey finally bounded off-trail into some thick brush where I couldn't follow.  I went back on the paved trails and then encountered a guy walking his dog and gave the dog a treat and the guy turned out to be a Vietnam vet, so we had a nice short chat a about our respective military days before we each went our way.   So in spite of my slow running motor I did manage to have a bit of fun along the way.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Nice run, Scotty!!  Armadillos & dear, eh?  Pretty cool compared to the concrete jungle here....(or the hamster wheel I frequent more than anything lately).

Obie......Enjoy the RD!!  Mine's coming tomorrow! (Well, mowing the lawn & weights so "sorta")

Last night's run was great.  Was supposed to just be a 'cruise' but watching the Brownlee boys run their butts off as I ran on one of the triathlons on Universal Sports got my butt inspired & I turned it up a notch.

Tonight's a crit ride where we ride bike in circles going faster & faster until the lead pack starts lapping people. (Gotta try & stay ahead of them) Holy lactic acid Tuesday, batman! 

Legs will be spent by tonight & tomorrow's RD much appreciated!  

Randy

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date! No time to say hello, goodbye, I'm late I'm late I'm late!

When I wave, I lose the time I save! No time to say goodbye, hello, I'm late I'm late I'm late!

Yeah, I had the record for the animated Alice in Wonderland when I was a kid. Wanna hear the Jabberwocky song? DH has muscle relaxers and painkillers, and seems to be feeling better today, which is good. I'm running samples today, which is also good. And my tech is on vacation this week, which is all kinds of nice. My introverted self was having some issues toward the end of last week because I had NO alone time on vacation. So I'm reveling in the extra quiet this week.

Obie -- good morning, and have a good RD!!

Scotty -- funny run with the animals this morning!!

redrum -- good luck with the bike thing, sounds crazy!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

Morning all. RD today for me.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Unless I get in some miles tonight, it looks like a URD for me. Yesterday I was doing some work in the yard and pulled or strained something in my back. Not good. That, combined with my tired, lactic acid knot filled legs, is making for one bad HM cycle. My massage is today so at least that will make my legs better. My back is another story. Now I'm sitting in the Toyota dealer waiting for my car. The good news is there are free donuts, coffee, wi-fi, and the car is under warranty.

Scotty: sounds fun!

redrum: there is a 5 and 10k this Saturday in Cypress.

PAD: enjoy the rest. It looks like I will be joining you.

Singer who runs a smidge

Jack, won't the massage help your back too?

I need to get some miles in myself!!  For our 2014 in 2014 team, we have 3 members on IR, so my measly miles often count toward the total.  That's a little scary for me, I've always just been the cheerleader whose miles don't count!  Anyway, I've been sleeping in with DH this week (that's both of us sleeping in, get your minds out of the gutter!), so I'd better go for a walk after work tonight!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Yo!

SRD for me as we have the Kiss/Def Leppard concert tonight. Off work this afternoon to pick our friend up early since the concert starts at 7 and it is an hour away. Still sick but much better than yesterday.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Wear earplugs, Docket!!  I have a friend who would be crazy jealous ...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hi Pens.

Unless I get in some miles tonight, it looks like a URD for me. Yesterday I was doing some work in the yard and pulled or strained something in my back. Not good. That, combined with my tired, lactic acid knot filled legs, is making for one bad HM cycle. My massage is today so at least that will make my legs better. My back is another story. Now I'm sitting in the Toyota dealer waiting for my car. The good news is there are free donuts, coffee, wi-fi, and the car is under warranty.

Scotty: sounds fun!

redrum: there is a 5 and 10k this Saturday in Cypress.

PAD: enjoy the rest. It looks like I will be joining you.

Sorry about the back, Jack; but thanks for reminding me!  Time to schedule my next set of arthritis injections for my back.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

69F Dew Point... It's going to be a short run.  Hoping to see some armadillos also.

SheCan

Obie-- you're the early bird again.  Enjoy your rest day and air conditioning.

Scotty-- sounds like a pretty nice run!  One good thing about early hours is seeing all the animals.

redrum-- sounds exciting!  Have fun, and earn that rest day tomorrow.

HsM-- So glad DH is doing better!  You sound like a lot of folks who have to go back to work to rest up from vacation.    Totally enjoyed the pictures yesterday, and hope you're having cooler weather at home than you did in Western Washington.

PAD-- enjoy!

Jack-- ut oh about the car and your back!  Glad the car, at least, is under warranty.  Enjoy those donuts and take care of that back.

DR-- ohhhh, you're rocking old style tonight!  Have fun, and if you, DH & friends dress up like Kiss (and you better!) take pictures!

Jerry-- good luck seeing those armadillos!  Have a great run.

Today, I took an URD, and the morning turned out cool and cloudy despite the forecast for just the opposite. While not running, I finally broke down and called the doctor about some annoying health concerns, and they scheduled me for this afternoon.  I guess that gives me less time to talk myself outta going!

Hope everyone else has a cool and fun afternoon.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Obie-- you're the early bird again.  Enjoy your rest day and air conditioning.

Scotty-- sounds like a pretty nice run!  One good thing about early hours is seeing all the animals.

redrum-- sounds exciting!  Have fun, and earn that rest day tomorrow.

HsM-- So glad DH is doing better!  You sound like a lot of folks who have to go back to work to rest up from vacation.    Totally enjoyed the pictures yesterday, and hope you're having cooler weather at home than you did in Western Washington.

PAD-- enjoy!

Jack-- ut oh about the car and your back!  Glad the car, at least, is under warranty.  Enjoy those donuts and take care of that back.

DR-- ohhhh, you're rocking old style tonight!  Have fun, and if you, DH & friends dress up like Kiss (and you better!) take pictures!

Jerry-- good luck seeing those armadillos!  Have a great run.

Today, I took an URD, and the morning turned out cool and cloudy despite the forecast for just the opposite. While not running, I finally broke down and called the doctor about some annoying health concerns, and they scheduled me for this afternoon.  I guess that gives me less time to talk myself outta going!

Hope everyone else has a cool and fun afternoon.

No, no...not the Great Legs, right?    Seriously, hope you get it all figured out and are 100% in no time!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hope the Dr. finds nothing, Cherie.

You are getting old Jack.  Have a Pranqster.

3.8m for us.  It was a random run/walk.  Coordinated the walks with the shady parts of the bike path.  There was a nice breeze from the south that. made it somewhat tolerable on the way back.  Much faster running pace today than our last run.  We only saw the furry armadillos that live in the trees.

Shirts for the Big 10 10k are ridiculous.  They have so much printed on them, they are totally unbreathable.  This includes the huge #14 on the back that must be at least a foot high.  Didn't need another blue shirt anyway.  Won't be wearing it for the race.