Beginners and Beyond

Tower of Terror 10 miler - you've read reports from the A and E corrals - now here comes the back of the pack (Read 71 times)

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Like DR, I gave up my C corral to run with a friend.  She had nSo prior official run longer than a 10K so we were in the J corral.  Yep, 10 out of 10.  Baboon started at 10pm, we started at 10:28pm.  My experience was very different from the A and E corrals.  J was filled with walkers and people who had no established times.

Since you can assume my pre race experience was the same as DR and Baboon I'll skip right to the "race."  We started out running wall to wall people.  And then it became MORE narrow as we all had to funnel under the start banner and the timing mat.  It was pretty thick until we hit the first water stop/potty station at mile 1.5.  We spent most of the entire run dodging and weaving through people.

We kept on going but by the next stop at mile 2.5 I really had to pee so I decided at this pace I wouldn't make it to the finish so I so I told my running mate to go ahead and stick to the right side and I'd catch up.  Our pace was between 1130 and 12 if I had to guess (because I really didn't look at the time).  Lines at the portopotty were probably 8 people deep and I'm standing there wondering how I'm going to catch up.

Finally I'm ready to start running again so I took off and I'm feeling like a freaking rock star.  I ran between 830 to 915 for 2 miles and I passed tons of people in the process. People were yelling "go peter!" (see my Peter Pan costume in Baboon's thread if you haven't already). Those were my best 2 miles of the night Smile took me just over 2 miles to catch her and at about 4.6 we were back to running together through the end - which seemed like it would never come.  The end was on the back side of the park and very anticlimactic.  Not to mention you had to walk another mile to bag check.......

Overall I definitely had fun - you can't take these things to seriously.  Although I did get a chuckle out of the fact that my running buddy (who is relatively new to running) was getting frustrated with all the walkers LOL  There were lots of photo ops with Disney Villains along the way - although the lines for that were longer than the potty lines so we didn't stop for any.  It was my first Disney race and much like all things Disney they were well organized and entertaining.  I would certainly do another but next time I'm starting as close to the front as I can Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice of you to keep your friend company!  I would have been right back there with y'all, lol.

So what was your finish time?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Love that shirt.  I should have bought for hubby (he gets irked when I mention I'm running with him at the back of the pack, LOL).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Nice of you to keep your friend company!  I would have been right back there with y'all, lol.

So what was your finish time?

You know, I had no idea.  I had to just go look Smile

2:11

outoftheblue

I do love that T-shirt, and what a good friend you were to step back a few corrals to run with her.   The peter pan outfit was great!

Life is good.

LRB

It is one thing to jog, it is another thing entirely to run much slower than you are capable.  I have done it, it sucks.  Kudos to you for that!

So did you happen to take a running selfie since your honey did not?

That shirt is tremendous.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

It is one thing to jog, it is another thing entirely to run much slower than you are capable.  I have done it, it sucks.  Kudos to you for that!

So did you happen to take a running selfie since your honey did not?

It's horribly dark - and not an action shot.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I have yet to do a Disney race and after reading the reports I don't know if I want to or not. I suppose I will, at some point, because they do look like a lot of fun and I'm sure the atmosphere is great.

That Peter Pan costume was pretty cool and I bet you heard way more comments than the ones you mentioned. Good stuff, MBC, sounds like a fun trip.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I do love that T-shirt, and what a good friend you were to step back a few corrals to run with her.   The peter pan outfit was great!

Thanks!  I really feel like my A race was Sept 7th and it couldn't have gone better so from now until January 1st anything I do is icing on the cake Smile  Just trying to have fun and not take anything too seriously.

delicate flower

<3

Nice run, but I'm disappointed that you didn't enlist Tinkerbell to help you fly above the crowds.

Very kind of you to move back with your friend.

Zelanie

Sounds like a fun social event and it was definitely a great costume.  And getting to really run a bit in the middle must have been fun too. Smile

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Kudos to you for being a  good friend!!

I'm with Brad.....I'll probably eventually do one (especially being So Cal born & raised) but I just don't know if I can stand all those people.  I used to do the Revlon in L.A. when I first started running but haven't done it in a few years....50,000 runners/walkers is enough to make me bat sh!t crazy!

You could've caught up to Corral A fresh off the start if you'd just circumvented running shoes and........CLIPPED IN!!  

Randy

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thanks for the nice write up MBC, sounds really frustrating from the J corral.  I ran the Disney marathon in 2012 from the B corral and it was nice and not too crowded.  To stand on World Drive and look back at 20,000 runners is just crazy.  Still, Disney has its place in the race pantheon.

Many serious runners knock the Disney races (and you are not one of them) but one must realize how many people they inspire or encourage to get out and exercise.  Yes they are slow, yes they stop for photos, but heck, there are thousands of them, mostly women who might otherwise be on their behinds.  So kudos to RunDisney.  They are expensive but seeing that line of porta potties explains part of that.  I would much rather be in a Disney race than a color run or tough mudder/Spartan.

BTW, isn't OKW the best place to stay.  We love it there and if one is running the marathon you can walk from OKW to the start if you don't want to be in that madness.  Have been staying there for over 10 years now.