Beginners and Beyond

Georgetown 10 Miler RR (Read 74 times)

Short Version

9.6 miles in 1:30:16

147/366 OA

29/92 AG

Long Version

I decided to run this race in preparation for my first half on the 24th. Unfortunately, I pulled my groin in December and took about a month off to let it heal, so I wasn't as prepared as I had hoped. Over the past two months, I've averaged about 24 miles/week, ran 8 miles three times, and 10 miles once. My goal going into the race was just to finish comfortably. I hoped to average less than a 10 minute/mile pace, but I didn't want to actively pursue a time goal.

The course is an out and back on the Capital Crescent Trail Towpath in Georgetown, DC.  The fact that the Georgetown 10 Miler takes place in Georgetown must have slipped my mind when I registered because I am not a fan of driving around and parking in DC. I made sure to leave for the race with plenty of time to get lost/turned around, which did end up happening. Thankfully, I was able to park in a garage less than half a mile away and was bibbed and ready to go 45 minutes before the start. It was high 40s at this point and was supposed to only get warmer. I debated taking my jacket back to the car, but indecision was ultimately my decision and I started the race with it on.

Miles 1-5: 9:23, 9:46, 9:53, 9:47, 9:31

The race started in alphabetical waves, so I was in the first group to start. The first mile felt great, but I could tell it was too fast – my shins often cramp if I don’t ease into it – so I slowed down. The waves started two minutes apart and the second wave started passing me shortly after the first mile. I just kept focusing on keeping an easy pace. I knew that the easier I took it those first few miles, the easier it would be for the last few.

The first mile marker was supposed to be at 2.5 miles, but it was 0.2 short. I really hoped that there would be a long mile to make up the difference later on, but there wasn't. Around mile 4, the man who I assume won the race passed me as he headed back to the start.

Miles 6-9.6: 9:14, 9:20, 9:08, 9:32, 4:44

I felt great at the turn-around point and actually passed a few people on the way back. Mile 9 was mentally tough for me, though. I’d only run this far once before and couldn't seem to focus. Just over a quarter mile from the finish, a runner who had already finished was standing along the course cheering us on. He told us the finish line was “just ahead.” The girl behind me then took off. I waited until I could actually see the sign before taking off myself. I was surprised at how much energy I had left for my kick (I even passed a few people including the girl who took off before me) and after the race itself. I supposed that was how I had planned it, though, and I feel much more confident about finishing my half now.

Overall, I’m happy with my performance and think I can run my half at a similar pace.  Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Sloooow.

Congratulations, you definitely accomplished your goal! Great job.

Rondog65

Awesome race, sounds like you are ready for your half. Good luck, enjoy and stay healthy.

My first road race was the Washington St. Paddy 10K several years ago; I truly loved the experience and love visiting Georgetown and Washington.

Ron

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

LRB

Nice race considering the setbacks!  You should do well in ten days.

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations.  Good luck on the HM.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nice job, and especially on the strong kick.

I'm curious about alphabetical waves, you show 366 OA runners.  Even if that's only one gender, wouldn't the race have been small enough to just start everyone at once?

MrNamtor

Well done!

Thanks everyone! Big grin

Shirfan - The race was capped at 500, but quite a few didn't show and a small handful didn't finish. They decided to start in waves because the trail is only about 3 people wide in most places and it wasn't a closed course. This was the inaugural year for the race, though, so they may change things for next year.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

SheCan

Great job, nova!

You kept up a nice pace for the whole race!  Congratulations!  This race was excellent preparation for you HM.

Good luck with your Half coming up!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Mostly harmless

Congratulations on running a smart race. The mental hurdles like the one you experienced at mile 9 are tough but they are oh so satisfying to conquer! Well done!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Well done!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

double post

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Ball of Fury

Great job!  Sounds like you are well prepared for your HM!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Zelanie

Nova, congrats on your 10-miler and good luck in your half!  Glad it went so well for you after having to take time off!

hog4life

It sounds to me as though you executed your plan perfectly, congrats. You are going to be just fine for the half.