Beginners and Beyond

Hartford HM RR (Read 107 times)

delicate flower

Today was the Hartford Half Marathon.  This was my third HM in five weeks.  I ran the first one hard but didn't feel my best and PR'd by a shit-ton, the second one I held back a little so I'd be good to go today, and this one I threw everything I had at. 

Official results:

1:34:49

PR by 1:17

OA -  245 / 6559  (dayum!)

Men - 199 / 2663

M40-44 - 19 / 365

I actually tapered for this race, running 25 miles this week going into the race, which is less than half my usual load.  I ran short and easy Thursday and Friday, and I got a little extra sleep.  I felt fresh and rested when I got up this morning.

My goal today was 1:34:59, which would qualify me for a seeded start in my May marathon (Vermont City).  That would also be a PR, and having smashed my PR by 8:55 five weeks ago, I honestly didn't know if I could knock another minute-plus off that PR in such a short time.  I was banking on tapered and rested legs, more favorable weather (no wind and lower humidity), and perhaps a slight increase in fitness.  Today's route was tougher though.  Not as bad as it looks...all rolling rolls and nothing steep.  But, not pancake flat like my PR race was.

I qualified for the seeded corral today.  I gotta say, that was SUH-WEEEEET lining up right in the front, ahead of ~12,000 other runners.  I don't think there is any going back to the general seeding now.  Big grin   This is the first time I raced further than 10K without headphones.  I noticed an almost complete lack of headphones in the seeded corral.  I ate a gel while lined up.

Off we go:

1 - 6:46 - Nobody to weave through today.  A nice open road in front of me.

2 - 6:49

3 - 7:00 - 10 seconds off a 5K PR.  I really need to find a 5K to race.  Definitely a little fast these first few miles but my HR was in check.

4 - 7:08

5 - 7:20 - The first bit of real uphill.  I didn't try to force my pace.  This entire mile felt uphill and I just wanted to get trough it without slowing too much.

6 - 7:08 - 15 seconds off a 10K PR.  70 seconds ahead of my goal at the halfway split by my estimation, and I was feeling strong.

7 - 7:10 - The downhills the last two miles felt good.  I relaxed a bit and let my HR settle down a little.  I ate my second and final gel.

8 - 7:20 - More uphill.  I knew most of the uphill would be behind me when I hit mile 8.5.  Miles 8-9 were tough and I was beginning to tire.

9 - 7:15 -

10 - 7:17 - This mile takes you through a park.  Some quick ups and downs.  Somewhere in mile 10, I wanted this to end.  I was hurting.

11 - 7:18 - Honestly surprised I am keeping this pace.  I was waiting for the 8:00 miles to hit.

12 - 7:15 - Really don't know how I'm running this fast.  I was in all sorts of discomfort and just felt slow.

13 - 7:28 - A half mile of gradual up pretty much finished me off here.  I'd have been screwed if this was a 14 mile race.

13.1 - 6:48 pace - Garmin and clock were ticking dangerously close to 1:35.  I mustered a final kick to the finish, and the hordes of crowd support helped.  I was too damn tired to raise my arms as I crossed the finish line.  I grabbed onto a railing and hunched over.

I don't think I could have run any faster today, nor do I think I have a faster HM in me right now.  Everything clicked.  My legs felt great, I was focused, and I ran strong.  I feel like I squeezed out everything I had.  I'm trilled that I hit my goal.  My execution still needs some work.  Fast start/late fade seems to be my go-to strategy.

This is my last "big" race of the year.  I never would have thought I'd run a HM under 1:35 this year when I tore up my knee in January.  No way.  I feel very lucky.  Now I want to put a dent in my 5K PR.  I've got two coming up in December.

I got back to the athletes village ahead of the crowd.  No wait for a massage!  SCORE.

Note:  This was MBC's second HM.  She ran her first two weeks ago.  She improved from 2:28 to 2:12.  She fookin rocked it!  Very proud of her!!

Note2:  Met up with Nevrgivup after the race.  Not her best day of racing, but she took it in stride.  I loved meeting her anyway...very nice girl.  Smile  Wish we could have hung out more but DW and I had to fly.

<3

From the Internet.

Nicely done, congrats! I think I need to get me one of those roboknees!

LRB

My first thought upon seeing that elevation was that cannot be right, thanks for clearing that up.

Extra points for using the word smashed in a race report, the running snobs will love that.

Very impressive, you are officially a bad mofo!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jeesh, Baboon!!! Was your knee operation somewhat of a blessing in disguise?  Man, you are owning it!!!! One pr after another!! You have to feel good about your race And great kick at the finish. You are my idol!

delicate flower

Extra points for using the word smashed in a race report, the running snobs will love that.

Is that a breach of etiquette?  Big grin

Lauren, LRB, Klompus:  Thank you all!  Much appreciated.   Gotta be honest, I am in a fair bit of ache right now.  Damn.

<3

Jess runs for bacon

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM! Damn you are fast. Congratulations on a very well run race, and a big congrats to MBC as well! That looks like a really nice course. Btw, where is the pic of your medal?

And a pro-tip, about 20 minutes outside Burlington (for VT marathon) is a place called the Cookie Love Shack. They bake crack cookies.

delicate flower

Crack cookies you say?  For my sweet tooth?  BRING IT.

Here's the medal!  This thing is a solid chunk of metal.  With a little filing, it'd probably work well as a ninja star.

<3

Antipodean

Amazing stuff! Your first two miles were faster than my all-out one mile effort at 6:57. Whizz!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Jess runs for bacon

Crack cookies you say?  For my sweet tooth?  BRING IT.

Here's the medal!  This thing is a solid chunk of metal.  With a little filing, it'd probably work well as a ninja star.

Groovy!

Love the Half

Isn't it a wonderful feeling when everything clicks?  I have only had that happen maybe 2-3 times since I started running but when it does, it's magical.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Zelanie

What a day!  Glad you were able to train and race well so that you had everything to throw at today's effort.  Congratulations!

Just B.S.

Awesome job Phil and MTC!!! Congrats to both!

What a way to turnaround a year that started with major surgery. Outstanding.

Told hubby on our walk tonight I want one of those medals. A few friends from home ran there

today. I await their feedback but you could perhaps be meeting B.S. and Mr B.S. next year as

he seemed agreeable to that. I find the best time to talk him into a trip is when we have just

returned from a great one. Works every time. Shhh, don't tell him my secret.

RSX can vouch for me. I am not at all as shy and introverted as I appear on the interwebs.Big grin

You all have a year to prepare yourselves!LOL

SheCan

Awesome job, you!   Congratulations on such a fast PR!  Who would have thought.  Congratulations also to MBC and Nevrgivup!

BTW-- that's a super cool metal! Love it!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Pinktastic

Way to totally ROCK it, Phil!!   Pink-mazing race!!  You've worked so hard this year and you deserve some great running!  Congrats!

Note to MBC - Hooray!  Look at your bright, shiny new PR!!  Way to go!!  HUGE CONGRATS to you!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

MothAudio

Happy for you Phil! Not the least surprised by this performance. You put in the work and the result follow. 

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile