Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins Don't Need To Impress Anyone, But It Happens Anyway! (Read 186 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

We had snow here yesterday so it was perfect conditions for cross country skiing!  Did the myrtl routine, and other assorted body weight exercises, then finished up with planks. I have an appointment with the doc on 1.15. I dislike the fact that most doctors don't have late office hours more than once a week, and late to them is 6pm. It makes it hard to get in when you are working. I noticed that at heavier weights on the leg press machine, I started to feel the pain in the side of my heel. I have also stopped the theraband exercises because they seem to be aggravating it also.

Jerry -  hope you're feeling better today

Kristi -  I'll be out cross training  with the snow removal exercises in a few minutes!

Awood - hope the knee is better.

Damaris - that's a bummer about the asthma attack.

Kristin - That was a pretty good black jack strategy!

Zelanie - I tend to get very little rest. My wife says to me "Can't you just sit still for once?"

Bin - nice run. Have fun with your friends.

Lauren - hope the shins are feeling better.

Jack - good job with the weekly 40!

Mitch - have a great run.

She Can - a trainer is a stand you mount your bicycle to. It has resistance to it so it makes your regular bike into a stationary bike.

Traci - good run in some nasty conditions!

Coralie - that "race" sounded like a real disappointment .

Scotty - 3 races in 10 hours - that in it self should get an award!

EatsFood - hope the back is ok. "Enjoy" your polar dive!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Morning Gustav.. Hurray for snow...

AFM 4.5M at mum's place.. Didn't bring any electronic, not even a watch.. Just run by feel.. Wanted to run more but run was cut short by a toilet visit.... Luckily, I managed to find one.. Else, it's gonna be messy.. haaa..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I slept until 9:30am.  Much needed after the attack.  A run and weights tonight.  Not sure how far I'll run. It will depend on how I feel.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Staying in shape while injured is great, but aggravating an injury sucks.  I hope your recovery is going well.

Bin - LOL...I always have to have my coffee before I run, and wait for it to get it's job done.  Then, I know I won't have anything to worry about.

Docket - I slept in as well.  Slow start to the day, but it's a 4 day weekend.

AFM - My glutes are sore today, but I still plan on taking a short test run on the rested knee.  I have to visit my mother in the hospital first though.  I'll be back with updates later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

For you.  The government is open tomorrow so I am working.

Gustav - Staying in shape while injured is great, but aggravating an injury sucks.  I hope your recovery is going well.

Bin - LOL...I always have to have my coffee before I run, and wait for it to get it's job done.  Then, I know I won't have anything to worry about.

Docket - I slept in as well.  Slow start to the day, but it's a 4 day weekend.

AFM - My glutes are sore today, but I still plan on taking a short test run on the rested knee.  I have to visit my mother in the hospital first though.  I'll be back with updates later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Gustav- cross country skiing is probably a really hard workout! Huh?  Good job.

Bin- good job on the run and the runs.  Haha. I hate when the poop monster shows up.

Docket- hope you are recovered from the attack now with your extra sleep.

Awood- hope your knee passes its test, good luck with your test run.  Hope your mom is doing okay.

AFM I decided to do Higdon's intermediate HM plan (Damaris' advice).  My half is 13 weeks away and I think its a 12 wk plan.  Like Zel suggested, Im gonna take it easy next week or so and ease back in so as not to get ANOTHER overuse injury.  I wished I could build as quickly as you other robots around here but my body is just a wuss I guess?   I think it has something to do with 4 pregnancies in 3 years including full term twins and possibly from doing a 4 month accutane treatment which is really hard on an old body like mine.

Good gawd Im rambling.

Today I did myrtl routine, clams, bridges, and "plank rotisseries".

Take care everyone

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like a plan. How does the mileage look like in that plan?  I have forgotten.

Gustav- cross country skiing is probably a really hard workout! Huh?  Good job.

Bin- good job on the run and the runs.  Haha. I hate when the poop monster shows up.

Docket- hope you are recovered from the attack now with your extra sleep.

Awood- hope your knee passes its test, good luck with your test run.  Hope your mom is doing okay.

AFM I decided to do Higdon's intermediate HM plan (Damaris' advice).  My half is 13 weeks away and I think its a 12 wk plan.  Like Zel suggested, Im gonna take it easy next week or so and ease back in so as not to get ANOTHER overuse injury.  I wished I could build as quickly as you other robots around here but my body is just a wuss I guess?   I think it has something to do with 4 pregnancies in 3 years including full term twins and possibly from doing a 4 month accutane treatment which is really hard on an old body like mine.

Good gawd Im rambling.

Today I did myrtl routine, clams, bridges, and "plank rotisseries".

Take care everyone

Damaris

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Damaris

The mileage is about this:

22 (race)

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Good morning!  Going to head out for 6 today in a little bit.  Then my plan starts tomorrow!  I've got the first two weeks mapped out into my log, and the two interval workouts programmed into my watch, and I guess we'll see from there.

Gustav- I'm glad you got an appointment with the Doc!  I hope that you find a good solution to get you running again!  I agree, those "extended hours" appointments can be tough to get since they fill up quickly.

Bin- Glad you found a "facility" in time!  All the parks around here are locked up for winter with just a few places still open.  Spring will bring some needed "relief"!

D- Hope you're feeling great for your run!

Awood- Hope that your Mom is OK!

Traci- I think it's good to pay attention to what your body is telling you.  I know there are people who built more quickly than I did or who ran a HM with less than a year of running, but I couldn't manage that myself.  And 3 years from now, it won't really matter how much we did in that first year, right?  It will matter if we're fit and healthy enough to still be running.  Good luck with your plan!

amandasmiles

6.2 miles (run/walk) today.  Goal is to get to the point I can run the whole thing without walk breaks.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Chilly today!  38 degrees with a wind chill of 31, BRRR!  Decided against a rest day, went over to Hardberger Park, a very nice San Antonio park with both paved and dirt/gravel trails, and did an easy 3.3 miles.  So I ended the week with 22.6 miles total, first time in about 6 months I've done a 20-mile week.  Monday is DEFINITELY a rest day and then at midnight I start with the first of my three 5Ks for that day. Let the 2013 Race Count begin! Big grin

X-country skiing does not bother your ankle, Gustav?  Hope the doc can find out what the heck is going on and get you on track to healing that thing!  Yeah, one reason I am glad I am retired military in San Antonio.  We have a lot of docs available to us and also weekend hours appointments on Saturday and evening appointments up to 8 pm.  Very convenient.   Our MRI office is even open 7 days a week, they are so busy, and they have appointments beginning at 5 a.m!

Sometimes it's nice to run sans watch, timing devices, etc., Bin, very mentally liberating, just a fun, relaxing run, no pressure.   Hey, you can always get some Depends... Wink

Happy exercising, Damaris.  Hope your asthma behaves itself!  You and DH come for a visit to San Antonio sometime in 2013 - maybe come down for Fiesta in April - see how it is now, I'm sure it's changed a lot from what you remember (didn't y'all live here before?)  I can play "tour-guide" for you.   I am working tomorrow too, half day.  University has a "skeleton crew' for the day and I volunteered to do it so the folks that have family here can continue enjoying the holidays with their families.  Gail has to work all day at the bank, so what the heck, not like I have anything urgent to do to take the day off.  It all evens out, though, my boss gave me off Wednesday for volunteering to work the half-day on Monday...so not bad, a full day off for working a half-day, plus I have New Year's day off too, so makes for a nice mid-week 'weekend.'

Awood, sorry to hear your mother is in the hospital!  As for sore glutes...tell your fiancee not to spank so hard!  Wink

on an old body like mine.   Yeah, right, Traci..personally I think you look great!  I'd chase your Great Legs any day of the week! Big grin  What the heck are 'clams' for exercise?  Good luck with your half training!  Hey, at least your 'old body' can do a half, the days of distance running for me are long gone, which is annoying to me at times, I really liked doing halfs.  But, hey, gotta try and stay positive and be happy I can just be out there doing any running at all.

Happy training to you too, Zelanie!  You and Traci ARE doing the same half, right, so there will be plenty of Great Legs photos of both of you for me in both  your reports, right? Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Scotty- The real challenge for your racing schedule might just be figuring out how much post-race food to eat at each race so that you'll be properly recovered for the next one without being too weighted down!  Hopefully they all have a nice festive spread!  Sadly, Traci and I are doing different races.  I think mine is two weeks later.

Amanda- Congrats on getting the 10K distance!

Docket_Rocket

We never lived there.  We were there in 2008.  He stayed there for a month (while in the military).  We both love it.  Was thinking of doing RnR San Antonio in November....

Chilly today!  38 degrees with a wind chill of 31, BRRR!  Decided against a rest day, went over to Hardberger Park, a very nice San Antonio park with both paved and dirt/gravel trails, and did an easy 3.3 miles.  So I ended the week with 22.6 miles total, first time in about 6 months I've done a 20-mile week.  Monday is DEFINITELY a rest day and then at midnight I start with the first of my three 5Ks for that day. Let the 2013 Race Count begin! Big grin

X-country skiing does not bother your ankle, Gustav?  Hope the doc can find out what the heck is going on and get you on track to healing that thing!  Yeah, one reason I am glad I am retired military in San Antonio.  We have a lot of docs available to us and also weekend hours appointments on Saturday and evening appointments up to 8 pm.  Very convenient.   Our MRI office is even open 7 days a week, they are so busy, and they have appointments beginning at 5 a.m!

Sometimes it's nice to run sans watch, timing devices, etc., Bin, very mentally liberating, just a fun, relaxing run, no pressure.   Hey, you can always get some Depends... Wink

Happy exercising, Damaris.  Hope your asthma behaves itself!  You and DH come for a visit to San Antonio sometime in 2013 - maybe come down for Fiesta in April - see how it is now, I'm sure it's changed a lot from what you remember (didn't y'all live here before?)  I can play "tour-guide" for you.   I am working tomorrow too, half day.  University has a "skeleton crew' for the day and I volunteered to do it so the folks that have family here can continue enjoying the holidays with their families.  Gail has to work all day at the bank, so what the heck, not like I have anything urgent to do to take the day off.  It all evens out, though, my boss gave me off Wednesday for volunteering to work the half-day on Monday...so not bad, a full day off for working a half-day, plus I have New Year's day off too, so makes for a nice mid-week 'weekend.'

Awood, sorry to hear your mother is in the hospital!  As for sore glutes...tell your fiancee not to spank so hard!  Wink

on an old body like mine.   Yeah, right, Traci..personally I think you look great!  I'd chase your Great Legs any day of the week! Big grin  What the heck are 'clams' for exercise?  Good luck with your half training!  Hey, at least your 'old body' can do a half, the days of distance running for me are long gone, which is annoying to me at times, I really liked doing halfs.  But, hey, gotta try and stay positive and be happy I can just be out there doing any running at all.

Happy training to you too, Zelanie!  You and Traci ARE doing the same half, right, so there will be plenty of Great Legs photos of both of you for me in both  your reports, right? Wink

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Sounds doable compared to what you were doing before injury, no?

Damaris

The mileage is about this:

22 (race)

Damaris

Fundraising Page