Beginners and Beyond

National Pack Rat Day Saturday Penguins (Read 21 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

ARGH! It's early! I got up to pee and water's coming through my bathroom ceiling.  I called the landlord and my upstairs neighbors and then tried to find the main water shutoff, to no avail. My neighbor grudgingly woke up and realized the toilet was running and turned it off. But I'm awake. Blargh.

Planning for W7D3 of C25K today followed by enough brisk walking to bring me up to 7 miles.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

PADRunner

Morning obie. 4 done for me this morning.Off to work and the Second Jewel.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Obie - MAJOR bummer.   Here's to hoping the damage isn't bad...

PAD - good morning.  Have a great day at work.

Me - first run in about 2 months yesterday.  Just followed C25k W1D1 just to see where I am at.  It was the right thing to do.  I feel good this morning but could have easily pushed harder than I should have.  RD today.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sorry about the leak, Obie.  Enjoy the walk.

PAD, is it going to be California Chrome?

Vance, glad you got re-started.  Don't push too hard.

We are waiting for a little warm up before our run today.  I'll try for 5 today which will be a high since my meniscus was "fixed".

Zelanie

In my hippie younger days, I lived in a cabin called the "rat condo".  It was a one-room cabin with a big loft on one side, and a smaller loft on the other.  The mother of all packrats lived in the smaller side.  How tough was this packrat?  I had a giant Maine Coon cat that killed any and all critters that came across his path, but with this rat, he made a truce.  The cat owned the rest of the cabin, but he did not go into the rat's side of the loft.  That was protected rat territory, and he respected it.  But at least the rat didn't come down and get into my stuff, because that was the cat's territory.

Today I have an easy 3 later on.  Racing again tomorrow!

obie- Hope the fix for that isn't too much of a hassle!  At the very least, hoping that most of the repairs will need to be done via your upstairs neighbor's apartment!

PAD- Morning!  What's the Second Jewel?

Vance- Sounds smart coming back carefully.  How is your son doing?  Is he interested in running this time around?

Jerry- Woohoo for getting back to 5 miles!   Hope the knee isn't too cranky.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Did 4.8 miles with Angie and TJ this morning.  Angie ran a majority of the distance.  Proud of her effort and progress!

Running for TJ because he can't.

PADRunner

PAD- Morning!  What's the Second Jewel?

Preakness Stakes, the second race of the Triple Crown. Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont. For me just a busier & more exciting day then normal.

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins!

Obie- sorry about the leak and lost sleep.  Congrats on the miles!

PAD- Congrats on getting those miles in.

N-bug- Hello!  Great start!

Jerry- Good luck with the 5.

Z- Good luck in your race tomorrow.

Robert- Congrats to Angie!

AFM- I just took 2 days off.  Today I will run some mileage.  4-5 maybe.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

HI Pens.

N-Bug: Welcome back! It's good to see you are still running for beer. That reminds me, I have to go to Costco today.

Obie: Ugh. Maybe you can get a new ceiling out of it?

PAD: Have fun at work. The California horse is the favorite, I think. I don't follow it much anymore.

Jerry: Is the knee feeling OK? 5 miles should be a good test. What on tap for tonight?

Zel: You were a hippy?  Lol...  I forgot, what are you racing tomorrow?

Robert: Well done to you and Angie. Before you know it, you will be running HMs together! That's the best.

SF: Enjoy the miles. I am also looking forward to some days off.

9.25 miles for me. Slow and sluggish on tired legs. Now I have many errands and running around town (no pun intended). I think I am going to stop by the Redbox and surprise DW with a movie or two; she likes movies. I might even surprise myself with some beer.

Have a good day, Pens.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5.25 miles at 11:00, no knee problems.  Perfect 55F  (32DP) day on the bike path, but not many runners or bikers.  Too cold for them, I guess.

Congrats on the Half Kristin  !!!

Jack, we have Smuttynose, Sierra Nevada, Metrolpolitan, and Big Bay Brewing Co. in honor of craft beer week.  So many breweries, so little time.  

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ran the Brooklyn Half this morning. Met sapf IRL!

Was aiming for 2:30. Finished in 2:29:40. How's that for perfect pacing?

Now off to a bridal shower!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

on my way to badass

Congrats Kristin!!!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ran the Brooklyn Half this morning. Met sapf IRL!

Was aiming for 2:30. Finished in 2:29:40. How's that for perfect pacing?

Now off to a bridal shower!

Good job!  It was nice meeting you today :-)

I finished in 2:27:50 - decided after mile 6 to just enjoy the run and not try to PR.  I have a wedding to attend tomorrow and want to be able to dance and enjoy myself :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No race today since the race I was supposed to do got postponed until the end of June.  So I went to Lackland Air Force Base this morning and ended up 'partially" doing a race anyway, lol.  As I turned into one street I was met by hundreds of trainees who were out doing the Run For Freedom 5K there this morning - duhhh, I'd forgotten all about this one being held at the base today.  I ended up running with some trainees for about a half-mile before I could make a turn and get the heck off the course.  And these trainees were running in formation and VERY speedy and I tried to keep up with them and keep in step too, which I actually managed to do...so I got a bit of speedwork this morning, lol.   Ended up with a total of 4.2  miles.  Beautiful weather too....sunny, 61 degrees, low humidity and dew-point.  Sweeet!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt