Beginners and Beyond

Being paid to run (Read 138 times)

Antipodean

So, I've been able to get training runs of between 1 and 4 miles in during my work time in the last few weeks. I teach in a middle school and the custom here in New Zealand is to hold a compulsory 'cross country' race annually in the winter time. In the few weeks before the race (it's next Wednesday) we hold training runs where all the students are supposed to run. In reality most walk/run or walk (or stroll!). We are lucky that our school backs on to a public park with a 1 km route. Most of the teachers stand at strategic points around the course and yell at the kids to get a move on! I think that's hypocritical (many are overweight/unfit) and so I run with them. I figure it can only inspire and motivate them.

There are a few great kids who run with me, or ahead of me, but we lap most of the others, some repeatedly. Yesterday I got over four miles in with a girl who is very fast (she was slumming it with me running just under 9 min miles). Last weekend she came second in the national under 13 cross country. Today I ran a bit slower but got some kids to run futher/faster than ever before. It's very mild for winter/early spring right now, reaching the early 60s today. I sweated like a pig but it was right before home time so I did another 3 miles straight after & was done for the day. Can't beat being paid to run!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

SlowNUnsteady

You get paid to run and you get to live in New Zealand.  You win at life!

Antipodean

Yeah, but we pay far too much for running shoes. Fact of life down here. Sad

Julie

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

LRB

The closest I have come is last winter when I took Tuesday off four consecutive weeks, which were vacation days that I had to use or lose.

I would say that I used them to the fullest!

Love the Half

You may be surprised at what seeing you out there does for folks.  In April, I was at Fort Dix, NJ for some training with my former unit.  I had two of my unit members tell me that they had started running in large part because they saw what it had done for me in terms of weight loss and fitness gains.  So who knows?  Maybe one of your overweight coworkers will see you out there and start something.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

That's awesome that you are doing this with your kids. It's important for them that they see that their teacher is willing to participate in the activity. You are being an inspiration to them, that's very valuable! My mom was a grade 5 teacher for 35 years and she was very physically active, and would also run with the kids, or play ball with them during recess, or go on cycling/camping trips with them, while the other teachers would follow in their cars... She was also a very well-loved teacher in her school, because the kids could relate to her and there was a special bond between them. That's what you are creating by running with the kids at your school, a bond. Great work and enjoy!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Julie - My three kids are just several years past middle school but they sure do remember teachers who set an example or who are memorable for their accomplishments.  Congratulations for being a shining light for your Kiwi school children.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

bobruns

That's awesome that you are doing this with your kids. It's important for them that they see that their teacher is willing to participate in the activity. You are being an inspiration to them, that's very valuable! My mom was a grade 5 teacher for 35 years and she was very physically active, and would also run with the kids, or play ball with them during recess, or go on cycling/camping trips with them, while the other teachers would follow in their cars... She was also a very well-loved teacher in her school, because the kids could relate to her and there was a special bond between them. That's what you are creating by running with the kids at your school, a bond. Great work and enjoy!

Lilly said it.  You will be the teach they look up to.  The one they remember for being the "cool" teacher.  Nice!  Now YOU are a role model.  How does it feel?

YAYpril - B-Plus

This makes me smile. You're a great role model.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

You get paid to run and you get to live in New Zealand.  You win at life!

+1, and thanks for being a teacher. Smile

- Andrew

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

You should try to get Flight of the Conchords for the post race entertainment.

Docket_Rocket

Awesome!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I think this is great. But there has to be a solution to the expensive shoe situation. If you order online, is the shipping prohibitively expensive?

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

That's the best of all worlds, Kiwi.

Being out there with the kids is a great example to set.

Antipodean

Well, I just ordered from the UK and it was free delivery. I saved a quarter that way. I found out about that company from Piwi Kiwi, a sometimes poster here. Delivery did take two weeks, though.

I think this is great. But there has to be a solution to the expensive shoe situation. If you order online, is the shipping prohibitively expensive?

Thanks for all your encouragement! I can only hope some of it rubs on on my students. One girl did say that she's happy she has a teacher who is fit and healthy. Also, yesterday, one other teacher decided to run. He's a bit overweight but a lot younger than me. I overtook him early on! Big grin

Julie

~ Sir Edmund Hillary