Beginners and Beyond

A contest I will never win (Read 106 times)

kettledrum

This is a contest my company just sent out today.  I understand the point, and it could be a good motivator for some people.   I don't know whether to be proud, or upset that I will have no chance at winning.     Maybe I need to eat a lot this weekend and also get constipated.  Although that will probably hurt my 10k time this Saturday.

Welcome to Company's Biggest Loser  - Spring Edition.

Ready to shake off these extended winter blues and excess pounds or simply looking for a reason to get more active and eat healthier? Or maybe you just love to compete for prizes . . ..  whatever the reason Company's Biggest Loser begins Monday April 7th.

Rules are simple:

Honor Code Rules – every Monday weigh yourself and calculate your loss/gain in percentages.  In order to calculate the percentage of weight loss, take the current week’s weight, subtract it from the initial weight, and divide by the initial weight. Report you weekly number to Jeff  – he will keep track of participants.

On Monday, May 19th the person with the highest percentage lost will receive a gift certificate for $100  - and because keeping it off is just as important as taking it off . . . . .on Monday, June 16th  all original participants who have had 0% increase in weight will receive a prize and the person with the highest percentage lost will receive a $ 125 gift certificate. All ties will results in a drawing.

OK  - those who want to participate need to send an email to Jeff (thanks for handling this Jeff!) by end of day Monday April 7th.

May the best person LOSE!!!!!

LRB

You will not win it but you will probably be bombarded with questions from those trying!

I think in general it is a great way to get people motivated but if they bumped the amount of money up that place would go nuts.

Love the Half

Why don't you suggest that, rather than a Biggest Loser contest which just encourages people to starve themselves, they offer some reward to everyone who runs in a 5K a few months down the road.  To keep people from just showing up and strolling 3.1 miles in an hour or so, you have to finish in under 35:00 to get the reward.  It's nearly impossible to walk 5K that quickly but fairly easy for anyone who isn't older or obese to get to that point in a few months.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Why don't you suggest that, rather than a Biggest Loser contest which just encourages people to starve themselves, they offer some reward to everyone who runs in a 5K a few months down the road.  To keep people from just showing up and strolling 3.1 miles in an hour or so, you have to finish in under 35:00 to get the reward.  It's nearly impossible to walk 5K that quickly but fairly easy for anyone who isn't older or obese to get to that point in a few months.

Well, I'd suggest that running isn't for everyone so the 5K part may not work for all who want to participate.  There are plenty of folks who do lose weight in a healthy way without the sport of running.

One thing I *do* like seeing is that they are doing a follow-up on June 16th to reward those having kept the weight off. (good thing)

Better yet, I'd even see if the company could throw the biggest purse out there for something over 90 days.  (usually 100 days for good habit forming, right?) and give incentive to both the employee and the company to reward long-term health.

That doesn't mean they couldn't do it on a semi-bulimic schedule, but I think chances are it'd probably be as good as they could do without spending money on doctors, tests & such.

Randy

Love the Half

Fair enough about the 5K although exercise is a part of a healthier lifestyle.  Even at that, if a person is in fairly good shape from some other activity such as biking or swimming, they could likely run a flat 5K in under 35:00.  I think I could have gotten under 35:00 even when I was a fat chain smoker.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

delicate flower

Our company does these challenges a couple times a year and they always center around weight loss.  Doesn't do me a whole lot of good to participate.  They very actively promote health and fitness though and there are plenty of other ways for me to earn rewards for healthy living...just not via these contests.  On average I earn about $200 a year for doing various things.

<3

Birdwell

Interesting. I received an email notification this morning that I met the goal for our campus "fitness" initiative and would be receiving my $75 bonus on my next check!

Ours takes a pretty broad approach to it. You earn points for daily exercise (20 minutes minimum), good habits (i.e., eat better, random acts of kindness, there's even a book club), attending budget and finance seminars and regular doctor visits and physicals.

There are so many points allotted for each activity and it takes a good mix to reach the point total threshold to get the bonus.

They even make exceptions if physical activity isn't good for you (as advised by your doctor).

I got there through physical exercise and good habits. They seem to be more concerned with an overall healthy lifestyle.

The sad part is out of the 800 or so eligible employees on campus, only 71 got enough points. A lot of people just don't care enough to take time to track things.

They couldn't have made it any easier to earn.

(MTA: weight loss does not factor in at all)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I've participated in a number of them, and have even admined a couple. I never won though. I think I came in second once. Now it'd be damn tough to even compete. I'm running like crazy and watching what I eat and barely dropping weight. It's getting tough.

My company has a couple of health initiatives, but dropped the biggest one (for me) this year. They used to sponsor us in races. I ran all of 2011, 2012 and 2013 without paying a dime for registration fees. It was really nice. Now I have to pay my way like everyone else, so I'm much more choosey what I run.

- Andrew

SheCan

The 5K idea sounds great to me.  Even if running isn't for everyone, a 5K is within the grasp of "most."  I did want to point out that most people wouldn't starve themselves for a total of $100 + $125 gift certificates.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Our gym at work has 'mileage' rewards program.  It is not only for runners but also for walkers and cyclists. You can even log miles for Stairmaster machine, elliptical machine, etc....anything aerobic, practically.

They just want to encourage folks to be active.  You sign up and then after your workout you log your miles in through their Mileage Rewards programs.  When you reach various levels - 50 miles done, 100 miles done, and so forth - you get university logo  goodies - headbands, caps, gloves, shirts, sweatshirts, jackets,etc - as your reward.  When you start getting into the 'thousands' of miles then you get stuff like complimentary football tickets, and so forth.

Nice program.  Of course, it is kind of on the 'honor' program cuz the gym staff doesn't follow you around to make sure you actually are doing all the miles.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kettledrum

To be fair, several years ago the pedometer bought and gave everyone pedometers and handed out prizes for the most steps and the most mileage over a couple of months.  The saddest part was that only 2 people including myself followed through and submitted logs, out of a company of about 50 people.  It will be interesting to see how many people participate in this one.

Mmmmm...beer

My company puts up to $600 in your HSA for logging steps with a pedometer (there's different levels, $100, $200 and $300 for hitting each level).  Last year I maxed it out in about four months (it's supposed to take the average person the whole year). lol  I need to get a new pedometer tho, apparently they don't handle a wash cycle well. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

RSX

Key to winning is to drink a lot of water (I mean a lot) on day one before the weigh in. There was a small mostly bragging rights one at a previous employer. A friend gave me that tip and I won. I felt so bloated but it was fun later.

The company that I work for now does step contests each year. I hate converting miles to steps so would input 2 weeks at a time when I saw enough "don't give up yet" type messages. Hence why I never do mileage games here or RW.

Don't call me Buttercup!

Fair enough about the 5K although exercise is a part of a healthier lifestyle.  Even at that, if a person is in fairly good shape from some other activity such as biking or swimming, they could likely run a flat 5K in under 35:00.  I think I could have gotten under 35:00 even when I was a fat chain smoker.

I can't run a 35:00 5K. 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!